PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Arctic Foxes in Warm Environment?

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nephilinn

Arctic Foxes in Warm Environment?

Postby Nephilinn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:45 am

I'm currently doing my research on getting a fox, but one thing I can't find an answer to is how well arctic foxes cope in warmer places. I live in Florida and I'm afraid the poor thing would overheat (though it'll be inside half the time, if that helps any).
The closest I've seen is a brief appearance of an arctic in a video of another fox located in Florida, but there was no way to tell how well it was doing, and it was shaved, which if I remember correctly that arctic foxes are double coated, wouldn't that ultimately be detrimental to the fox?
Does anyone else live in hot areas like this and own an arctic fox? If so, how does the fox feel about the weather, and how do you keep it comfortable?
linseylou

Re: Arctic Foxes in Warm Environment?

Postby linseylou » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:09 am

I had an arctic fox in tn, and i know others that do now. We have lots of shade and I had a misting system to keep it cooler in his area, along with keeping frozen water bottles around in his coolest so ghee could lay by them
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:34 pm

Maybe you could hook up the outdoor enclosure to your house and make a dog door so the fox can enter and cool off in the AC if it gets too warm?
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Nephilinn

Postby Nephilinn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:33 pm

linseylou wrote:had an arctic fox in tn, and i know others that do now. We have lots of shade and I had a misting system to keep it cooler in his area, along with keeping frozen water bottles around in his coolest so ghee could lay by them

That's a good idea, misting systems are easy to come by here, and frozen water bottles are always a good simple solution.

Peacefulward wrote:Maybe you could hook up the outdoor enclosure to your house and make a dog door so the fox can enter and cool off in the AC if it gets too warm?

I'd love to do something like that, but the inside portion is gonna be the top floor of the house, and the house has no windows facing the back yard, so it'd have to involve a huge ramp and drilling a hole in the wall.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:50 pm

As long as there is plenty of shade, and water, an arctic should be fine in Florida, especially if you implement misting systems and fans. The misting fans are a great way to cool anything down since it really seems to lower the temperature where it's placed.

Thank you for thinking of the fox's needs prior to just going out and grabbing one up. It's always important to be thoughtful with these types of things.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:31 pm

I asked Dave from Tiny Tracks this same thing.

He said Arctics will do fine as long as they have shade and water. However, as I thought about it, I decided to not get an arctic while I'm still in TN because we hardly get any snow. So, I'm planning to move to a new state that gets plenty of snow and cool most the year (Wyoming).

Of course I know everyone is not willing/can't to do this, but that's my plan.

Return to “FOXES”