ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Best supplies for a new fox owner

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Arctic Fox Lover

Best supplies for a new fox owner

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 am

Hi. I'm planning on getting an Arctic fox, after i move out (No, I'm not a basement dwelling 30 year old, I'm not even legally an adult). I know it won't be easy, but I've wanted a pet fox since i was two, and i think, even though it will be hard, it will still be worth it, in the end. I'm going to be living in an apartment, with two roommates, just fyi. So, basically, i need to know what the best litter (For the litter robot thing), the best bed, wet food, water fountain thing, and anything else i might need (Price isn't really a concern).
Lara

Re: Best supplies for a new fox owner

Postby Lara » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:11 pm

Are you set on Arctic? I've heard they are similar to reds, and your roommates might be not appreciate the smell and destruction. A gray fox might work better, unless you can give the arctic an enclosure.

Foxes may or may not completely litter train, and I never did it, so I wouldn't know what litter. They will mark though, so it is best to stay away from carpet and wood. I don't know if you've heard of the pee rocks people use for rats, but that actually worked really well for me. I just put a paver in the corner of his enclosure, and he would mark it. I almost gagged when I picked it up later, but it kept things a little cleaner. Really any bed will work if you want one, but you will probably either want to go with the most durable one you can find, or the most replaceable.

For food, foxes don't do very well on solely dog food. You can get high quality dry food to free feed if they are hungry, but they need fresh food as well. If you can get your hands on some chicken, chicken liver, eggs and veggies, it is a much better diet. You have to provide them with taurine, which is why the chicken liver is important. I never used any sort of water fountain, just a bowl. You'd want either a heavy ceramic one, or one that can be secured to the wall or ground.

You will need a lot of toys to keep the fox busy, and hopefully its own room or area it can go in at night or when there is company. It also might help to do clicker training. Get a collar and tags to, incase it gets loose.

Foxes can be pretty destructive, so there might need to be a lot of replacing. I eventually just started getting my fox bones from the grocery store, because any toy he couldn't destroy he didn't like, and any toy he could destroy he would eat.
Arctic Fox Lover

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks for all the info. Yes, I'm set on an arctic, i just love their long, beautiful coats (and they look fun to cuddle with while reading a book). I probably will have a small dog/cat door (locking, for privacy) built into the bottom of my bedroom door, so the fox could go in there, to use the litter box, play with toys, or just sleep on the bed, lol. I have a few more questions. Would it be better to lock the door when I'm asleep (1 AM-9/10 AM) Or allow it to roam the house during the morning hours? How do you think the best way to keep it away from gaming/recording equipment (I'm planning on having a full time youtube business, once i work up to it). Are there any recipes such as, a soup, meant for foxes? What house plants are toxic to foxes, and which are safe? Just how friendly are they with their owner, and how friendly will they be with my roommates (judging by the fact that they live in the same house)? What breeds of cat/dog can they live with, and are they a danger to smaller cats or dogs?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:07 pm

Arctics should not be kep0t in apartments. They are even more likely to become aggressive than reds when kept exclusively indoors and that's pretty likely. They start getting aggressive and biting fairly early on and don't get better till moved to an outside enclosure. And they don't litter train as well as reds if at all and that isn't very well.

Foxes don't follow you around and lay with you whenever you want. They aren't very affectionate at all. They are much more cat like than dog like in the affection dept. You can't pick them up and set them in your lap and expect them to stay. They don't really like being picked up at all. They wont come and lay next to you just because you call them but they might lay next to you now and then when they feel like it. They are nocturnal so will keep you up all night.

They will tear holes into your box spring and run around pooping inside of it like a den. They will dig up the floor, chew up the walls, tear up the furniture and poop and pee on everything to mark it as theirs.

Yes they will be a danger to any animal smaller than them. People have had cats killed by their foxes. It is unlikely to like your roommates. Married couples have had the fox just like one of them and hate the other, they are generally one person animals.

PS: if you ever film the fox for YT and have ads on it or make money in any way from the YT videos you are exhibiting your fox and need USDA. USDA is going to want a large enclosure with a perimeter fence and verify you are giving all proper care and handling for the species.

Also you're unlikely to find any landlord of an apartment willing to rent to you if you have or plan to have a fox. If somehow you do find one you will later get kicked out due to the destruction, smell and noise.

You and the fox will be much happier if you wait till you are settled and can get a house. I know it's hard to wait but it will be for the best and worth it.
linseylou

Postby linseylou » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:17 pm

I had an arctic, and reds are better behaved indoors than arctics, as apartment would be demolished, floor, walls, and all with an indoor arctic. Mine wouldn't litter train or even potty train at all, and went where he pleased. Reds are destructive and smelly like arctics, but not as bad oin my experience. I wouldn't recommend either in an apartment though. If you're dead set on it I'd leave all doors open all the time as mine destroyed doors lol.
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
Arctic Fox Lover

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Do you think there's truly no way possible to have one in an apartment??? If so, i can wait, but if there's a way, we (my future roommates are close friends, I'm sure they'd help) could make it happen. Also, for vet trips/if the fox wants to tag along to run some errands (bank, possibly groceries, going out to get lunch, ect.), Will i need to cover the (white) seats in the car??? And if so, with what? Also, the apartment complex I've been looking at has a pool and outdoor yard area, so if she was on a leash, i think i could probably bring her out in the early morning and late evening hours when everyone is inside, and let her play for as long as she likes (do foxes like water???), and if i did that, would she be managable inside?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:06 pm

I'm going to say no, it's not possible. I hate making blanket statements because someone might scour the internet and find some instance of someone having an arctic inside to show as proof I'm wrong but the odds are so astronomically against that situation working out well for either of you, I'm sticking with no.

Even if you get written permission from the landlord and are willing to deal with the aggression and damage the landlord can still kick you out for damage, smell, and fox screams bothering the neighbors.

A lot of foxes have to be drugged just to go to the vet because it upsets them so much. But if yours happens to like car rides you might want to protect the seats. There should be seat covers you can buy, though I'd recommend traveling with him in a crate for safety anyway.
Arctic Fox Lover

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:49 pm

Ok, I can wait. What size yard (for playtime) and house altogether do you recommend? Also, what is your opinion on this as a carrier, or will i need to look for something more open? https://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-Ca ... apsule+bed
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Arctic Fox Lover wrote:Ok, I can wait. What size yard (for playtime) and house altogether do you recommend? Also, what is your opinion on this as a carrier, or will i need to look for something more open?

Depends on where you want to live.

If your willing to move future away from the city, I'd aim for at least an acre of land. However, say you want to build a 16x16 foot enclosure for your fox, you would only need enough land for that size.

As for the house, I would find a house that has a door or window close to the ground. You could build the enclosure to where that door/window can give your fox access to the house.

As for the carrier, it says Arctics get about a foot tall (paw to shoulder), I would not aim for anything less than 2 feet in any direction.
Arctic Fox Lover

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:15 pm

Would a dog car seat work for them?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:46 pm

Maybe depending on the fox. If he grows up to dislike car rides he'll have to be in a crate. They will be more likely to freak out being out in the open and could potentially get hooked up in the short leash system. If he were happy to go on rides then it would be okay but it's still not as safe as being in a crate should you crash but would be enough to keep him in place and out of trouble during the drive. If you have someone to drive for you then you could also try riding in back with him leashed. This worked for me and my anteater when coming home from walks, though one time she had gotten freaked out by a motorcycle and tore up the door(still as with the seat it is less safe than being crated but we all have our own level of risk).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:08 pm

I would not recommend the short leash in the car at all. I had a fox come to me like that, and she was absolutely terrified and even would try to attack and try to bite. I definitely do not recommend it based on that experience alone. I think being in the open, restrained, made her way more nervous than she should have been, being rehomed.

She's the sweetest thing in the world though. I never would have guessed if it were for the first experience I had with her alone.

Maybe if when raised young a could take to it. But I don't know. Seeing how viciously this girl reacted makes me really think they need to be crated for car rides.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Arctic Fox Lover

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:51 pm

Do you think i could possibly make car rides fun for the fox as a baby by associating them with things the fox liked, such as petting, and treats?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:54 am

Maybe, if you do it often enough and the rewards are great enough. Like most cats are scared of car rides but some will like it if started young enough. Jake was okay with rides at first as a kit but then we didn't take him anywhere but the vet so he's less keen now, still freaks out a little less than other cats though. Some will just be terrified of it no matter what though. If it's really supper scary to them then no reward will be enough.

It's a good thing to try though, at the least maybe he wont need drugged when he does need to go for a ride and if you're lucky then he may be cool with it. I know some have successfully taken their foxes places in the car and not had them freak out(not sure how contained though).

Kinda off topic but not, my dog was terrified of the wipers at first. A fox might find that scary too. So like if it's not raining when you are trying to train as a kit you may still want to run them some to get him used to them.
Lara

Postby Lara » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:05 am

It's great that you're willing to wait! It is so much less stressful to the fox if they are allowed to have their own outdoor place.

For car rides, I would make sure for the first ten or so times you go somewhere, take your fox somewhere really fun. Bring plenty of low drive treats too. I took my boy to a park once a week to play and go on a walk, and he ended up loving the car. So much so that if the door was open and we walked past it, he would try to get in. I think he liked looking out the windows (:

I would advise that if you plan on taking them to the vet, go to a fun place like a park first. Otherwise, they will always associate the car with the vet, and not like it.

Return to “FOXES”