PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

How To Prevent Escapes

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Peacefulward

How To Prevent Escapes

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:57 pm

It seems like very week we are seeing more and more escaped pet foxes turn up. I'd like to start writing about the importance of preventing escapes when you own a fox, raising awareness, but I don't have any hands on experience with them myself so thought it would be best to defer to you guys.

What do you think?
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Lara

Re: How To Prevent Escapes

Postby Lara » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:08 pm

I have always thought is good to have a short leash attached to collars as well as harnesses when walking, incase they slip. I just mean a little piece of nylon that clips to their collar, and then to the leash that is connected to the collar. It would just be a safety precaution, since foxes can slip collars so easily. Just an idea!

Otherwise, I had a lock on the enclosure, and a little fence that outlined where the door swung out, so he would have to climb it to escape, and it gave me time to catch him.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:15 pm

The number of escapes are ridiculous. I've written about it as a warning for first-time fox owners here before, but having more and more info about it could definitely help.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:15 pm

3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:43 pm

Don't use chicken wire.

They can be escape artists and will pull fencing loose or pry up roofing etc. Check the enclosures regularly. Even if you never see problems keep a schedule of checking regularly. You'll see if something rusted(easier to break) or anything is pried etc.

Yeah use locks.

Keep them in an outside enclosure when not supervised will prevent escapes if it's a secure one. A lot of escapes happen due to keeping them in a house. Jumped off the balcony, flew threw, dug through the window screen, slipped out the door, some exotics have even gone out the drier vents(they are usually easy to pull lose, Aurora even tried it but even after tearing up the wall she didn't fit out the vent hood but she was starting to get that loose too). One recently dug through the floor an got out that way(kept in a trailer home) some pull up the floor heating vents and get out that way.

Have flooring they can't dig out of for the enclosure.

Have a secure roof or strong fencing over top, no chicken wire even if just the top or floor.(I wouldn't keep saying that but there were actually several people thinking it was okay this year).

Plenty of enrichment. If they are content they will be less inclined to try and get out. Most don't want out so much as something to do and if they wind a weakness they will keep at it as something to do.

Lisa has video of her foxes during the time she is gone they don't look for ways out but they get plenty of enrichment, plus have each other to keep busy.

And yes some have been found in harnesses, one I think was even dragging the leash. Collar and harness and may be even two leashed maybe clip one to your belt or at least make sure it's wrapped snugly around your wrist.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:33 pm

Another thing is DO NOT tie out your fox and leave it unattended! So many escapes happen when owners attach their fox's leash to a zipline and then leave it unsupervised. I think using a zipline is really cool, but you must be there the whole time and can't go inside for even a second.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Ash wrote:Another thing is DO NOT tie out your fox and leave it unattended! So many escapes happen when owners attach their fox's leash to a zipline and then leave it unsupervised. I think using a zipline is really cool, but you must be there the whole time and can't go inside for even a second.

I forgot about people doing that. One died this year because the owner left it on the line and it got caught up and hung it's self.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:30 am

People have got to realize that a fox is not a dog.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:19 pm

I'll probably recommend a security camera and lock too. As I learned with Vega, it's not rare for people to let your exotics loose....
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
linseylou

Postby linseylou » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Someone let Vega loose?!
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake

Return to “FOXES”