PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Has anybody seen this deformity?

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

FrayWolf

Has anybody seen this deformity?

Postby FrayWolf » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:06 am

***WARNING***

I am a taxidermist and if my work offends you, please do not proceed. If you don't like it, then simply do not look.

Recently I have obtained a very young ranched raised silver fox kit. Judging by his size he was only about five to six weeks old when he died. When he arrived here he had already been skinned and I had the option of getting his body so it can be casted to make a form to mount him on......but I quickly noticed something extremely off about him. His mandible was stuck much farther out than the top. Never have I seen or heard of a fox having an underbite before so my first thought was that it had broke or gotten dislocated at some point. It did not, he did not have any internal bleeding, nothing was broken, and the jaw was completely hinged into his skull. Ive heard of a lot of weird mutations and deformities in foxes.

Has anybody ever seen or heard of a fox having an underbite?
He was only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes.
But I have made him my friend, and now he is unique to all the world... ❤︎
Peacefulward

Re: Has anybody seen this deformity?

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:32 am

I remember seeing a pet fox with an underbite somewhere on the web. I'm not sure if it was natural or because of a medical issue though. I can't remember his name, maybe someone else here does?
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:09 pm

The Dwarf Silver in Russia appears to have an underbite but I assume you'd have noticed if it also had short legs and a big head too.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Did you post a picture? I would like to see what it looks like.

Sad that we're starting to see a growing number of deformities and issues in captive-bred. It's likely the genes, but sometimes it's diet-related too, like the backfeet mobility issues.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:04 pm

FrayWolf's fox is skinned so they can't post a photo here.

This is a video of the dwarf with a fennec though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eJsrxbgHQo

You can see it's much smaller than normal, underbite, shorter than normal muzzle, short legs.

Return to “FOXES”