PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Getting a fox

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Imcoolyourenot

Getting a fox

Postby Imcoolyourenot » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:25 am

So I’ve been doing some research on owning a fox and this website comes up quite often on google so I figured I’d ask some questions here.

1. Where do I get a permit to own a fox in Oklahoma? I could only find one for breeders.

2. What’s a good place to order food for the fox?

3. What kind of ways can I discipline the fox if they do something bad? Idk if I can give them a little spank on the bum like with a dog.

Any other info you think I need to know just respond to my post! Thanks!

Edit: just thought of another question. What are some things I should put in the play pen outside and is it ok if I leave the fox out there while I’m at work when it’s an adult?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting a fox

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:48 pm

Sounds like you are only just learning about them. So this should help, by our co-admin Ash https://www.wildhearts-exoticanimals.com/caresheets

You want to avoid discipline they will just hold it against you. Time outs are okay, but no physical reprimands, even just those doing tap to the nose usually report an increase in biting instead of getting better. Reds are pretty food motivated though so like if he has something he shouldn't you can try offing something better. If it's dangerous you may just need to risk the bites by taking it though.

Yes once older they do better having their own area outside where they can be a fox and pee and chew and do whatever their foxy hearts desire.

You need to contact the wildlife dept and yes it's the same permit even if you are not breeding them. You will need to check you county and city laws as well.

I order ground rabbit from Hare Today.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:28 pm

please make sure you understand a foxes behavior before you get one.

for discipline, all I did was was lightly smack them on the nose and tell them "no bite" (which they did not do often)
since I know how to handle foxes, if the smack did not work, I would grab his canine and tell him "no"
however, I don't recommend doing this if you don't completely understand a foxes behavior.

keep in mind, a fox is not like a dog. you have to be careful they don't get outside. they need a secure enclosure.
this means fence on the bottom and top.

also, you really should not keep a mature fox in your house 24/7. they mark. this will stink up your house really bad, especially if you have carpets.

please make sure they are legal in your state and local area. you might need a permit. most states require them.

if you get a fox that is not legal in your state or local area, the fox will be taken and most likely killed.

I am not talking you out of getting a fox, just want to explain a little about them so you understand what to expect.

we are here to help, so feel free to ask any question.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:37 pm

forgot to mention about the food. I feed mine, cooked chicken, eggs, and sometimes raw chicken legs.
a few marrow bones.

here is a link to the legality of foxes:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9089

this is on the board.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:22 pm

Welcome. :)

I feed my foxes "Heartland Blend" and raw meats and sometimes boiled eggs as a special treat. They get rabbit from time to time, and rats. They do love their rats--although I believe captive-born rats have a lot of retinol in them which makes them better as treats than staples. Heartland Blend is a fur farm fox feed, but it needs to be bought and picked up from the manufacturer so isn't really feasible for most people to buy since they have to drive to Nebraska to get it.

Lately I'll admit I've slacked on the meat, but I'm wanting to switch back to a heavy meat diet with rabbit since that's what they really need. There's a local lady who raises and butchers her own, so I'll go local. There was a time they got a whole rabbit each week, and I want to return to that. Although this time I'll chop the rabbits in half instead of feeding them whole so not as much goes to waste.

You've probably already seen it, but here is a link to Oklahoma's laws: https://sybilsden.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9089. As far as getting the permit, I believe it is an easy process if you call and ask. Oklahoma is a fairly relaxed state when it comes to exotics.

As for disciplining a fox, I strongly advise positive reinforcement only. The two foxes I raised from kits were both raised differently. The first was raised with punishments (sprayed by a bottle when bad), and the second I raised with positive reinforcement only. Both have turned out to be loving sweethearts and really, really good foxes. That being said, since I received the same end result on both, positive reinforcement was not only a funner way to raise a fox, but a kinder way too. Now I only raise animals with positive reinforcement. Sometimes if my girl was biting too hard I'd snap my fingers, but that was just to divert her attention and make her focus on something else.

TamanduaGirl linked to my caresheets. :) I feel I have some good info there, although not all the caresheets are complete. If you have anymore questions, please let us know and we will try to help out the best we can.

Again, welcome to the group!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “FOXES”