please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

One or two?

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

hearingdamage

One or two?

Postby hearingdamage » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:15 am

Hey guys :)
I haven't decided whether I want a fox yet, but I figured I'd do some research anyways.
I saw Juniper the Fox's IG account and noticed that the owner has 2 foxes. Now, I know foxes are solitary creatures but would you recommend owning 1 red fox or 2 red foxes?
Without the dark, you'd never see the stars
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: One or two?

Postby pat » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:26 pm

it is best to get one at a time. this way, it will make it easier for the fox to bond with you.
then maybe the next year, get a 2nd fox.

only my opinion.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
linseylou

Postby linseylou » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:42 pm

It'll definitely have an effect on bonding if you get more than 1 in one year. That being said, they do enjoy playing with another fox occasionally, and mine cuddle with one another some too, so I'd get one first and spend as much time as you can bonding, then a year or so later look into adding another if you choose :)
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:27 pm

It's also worth pointing out that the foxes may not get along and therefore may need to be kept separate. Carousel and Ifrit try to attack each other each time they pass by the bars of their enclosures at the same time.

So if you have the setup to keep them separated then getting two would be okay. Even then, chances are they would get along fine. Seems most foxes do, just not two of mine.

But I agree with everyone else about not getting two at the same time so that you can bond with them better.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:53 pm

There are pros and cons to both as pointed out there's the bonding to you but if you get one later they might not get along. One option would be get two but only let them interact a little bit so they bond enough to not fight a whole lot but still bond to you. That would be tons of work though but it is similar to how they say with dogs, to limit contact with the dog while the kit is growing so they don't bond to the dog more than you. I really wouldn't though unless you wont be spending much time with your foxes and so they would need the extra friend.

Foxes can be perfectly happy on their own though so just getting one to start is best from an owner standpoint. One will probably feel like more work than you anticipate being a first time owner already no matter how much research you do. It's always different once actually doing it. If you do decide to get another later then you'll be an old pro at stuff you never even anticipated the first time and it will be smoother sailing. Like if I were to get another fennec I can take what I learned with Ikigai and do some things differently and maybe wind up with a more outgoing fennec. He's pretty perfect and worry free for my current lifestyle actually but if I ever got another I'd try to fix some of my failings that made him my little homebody.

Return to “FOXES”