ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Ripping Out Fur

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ripping Out Fur

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:27 pm

During the summertime, some foxes will just rip out their winter coats. Fable has done this every single year and has patches of little bleedy bald spots on his hips during this time. Ifrit a few times has ripped out the fur on her chest. One of the foxes I interned with a while ago also did that.

Well, today is different, because Luna did it, but she made her skin RAW. There's no other way it could have happened--it's not a scrape, it's not a bite. It's just she pulled off the top layer of her skin with the fur. It's a strip that's about three inches long.

She is in pain. She'll make little whimper sounds and bite. I'm calling the vet tomorrow about it, but was wondering if there's something I could do in the meantime. Is there something I could put on it to make sure it heals okay? Or to make it feel better?

Thanks.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ripping Out Fur

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:53 pm

Just a regular antibiotic ointment would be fine.

Sounds like it's due to them ripping mats out. It would be hard to rip a whole chunk like that out if not. They can get mats in the under coat and look and feel okay on top.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:20 pm

I wish they liked to be brushed. That would help a lot. I haven't ever tried brushing Luna. When she heals up, I may try that.

I don't know if they were mats or not. I run my fingers all down through their fur and don't ever feel anything.

Thanks for the advice.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:41 pm

Okay, I put on some antibiotic ointment. Hopefully she'll be okay. I need to let her future owner know what happened.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:24 pm

Looks a little worse today and she isn't doing very well. She's hiding in her igloo and will whine if I approach. So she's obviously in a good amount of pain.

I called the vet and set up a time for her to go in tomorrow.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:32 pm

That's too bad. Hope it's not infected or that antibiotics take care of t quickly if it is.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:22 am

So the vet gave me some chlorohexidine and a salve to put on the wound as well as some painkillers. They shaved some of the fur to keep it clean, and now it's easy to see. It looks way bad... I really wish I'd taken her in the first day now.

They said it isn't from pulling out fur. They said it's definitely a scrape wound. I searched her enclosure for what could have caused it, and the only conclusion I can come up with is the shallow opening to the den box could have scraped her back.

It's a pretty bad looking scrape. Definitely can see why it hurt her so badly. Glad I was able to get her an emergency appointment today.

Hope poor Luna starts feeling better soon.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:23 pm

Poor girl. Sounds like it wasn't infected at least. May need to make the opening bigger so she's not scraping it while it heals. I had to prop the lid of the washer open a bit among other things while waiting for Aurora's tail to heal when she pulled/scrapped a couple large pieces of skin off it a couple years back. She hadn't injured it due to the lid but it's scraping going in and out was inhibiting healing.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:03 pm

Wanted to update that she's doing a little better. The wound has completely scabbed over, which is good. And she's being very good not picking at it which is surprising. She hates the chlorohexedine, but that's because it stings. So that's really hard to get on her. But she loves the salve. She loves eating it, lol. So when she sees the tube she lays flat like she's ready for me to put it on. Then as I rub it on she starts licking it all up. Kind of defeats the purpose, but I still want to follow the vet's instructions. And they said it was okay if she licked it off.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:56 pm

Just wanted to give one last update!

Luna is fully healed with no scabs or anything. The fur is all starting to grow back in the area they shaved as well as where the scrape itself was. I'm glad she's made a full recovery. :)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:12 am

Glad she healed well.

Return to “FOXES”