PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Fox or dog

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

KuramaLove

Fox or dog

Postby KuramaLove » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi, Im planning to get white marble fox aroud 7-9weeks old, probably by the end of this month. I’d been preparing for fox kit almost a year, then recently I found this site.

Arctic and marble fox is legal here, and I also know vet who takes exotic animals such as arctic fox, racoon, etc. The only problem is that Im living in an apartment.

Im working at home, and money isnt a problem for me, and Im planning to take a walk every morning&evening with my fox. There’s a large park near my house which lots of pet owners visit , and few times I even saw exotic animal owners like mini horse and wolf dog...

The question is, to all fox owners, do you think its possible to keep fox in my apartment? I already have 2 grownup cats, and though I can supervise my fox 24/7, Im still worried. I used to keep my friend’s german shepherd and beagle temporarily, and I wonder if keeping a fox indoor is just like keeping a big dog. Or Would fox be worse?

I think I can handle any destructive dogs, but fox is totally different with dog right..? Should I just get a dog instead of making both me and fox unhappy?
linseylou

Re: Fox or dog

Postby linseylou » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:44 pm

Foxes don't fully litter train in most cases and will make the entire place smell strongly of skunk odor, and can be extremely destructive... mine have destroyed the couch, walls, floor, clothes etc. In most cases I'd never recommend a fox in an apartment, but ive seen rare cases where it's worked, so if you're determined and have done the research you may be able to adjust your life to make it work. Issues to consider would be destruction, smell, and noise. Most neighbors won't be ok with the noise or smell, and most landlords won't be ok with the destruction.
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:48 pm

I definitely would not get a fox if you live in an apartment. Foxes will destroy the house and their pee will reek. It's one thing when it's your own house, it's another if it's someone else's. You would likely get evicted for having a fox and would wind up paying a lot of money in damages. I definitely think in your situation a dog would be a better fit.

Then once you have your own house, you could reconsider getting a fox. I still recommend having outdoor enclosures regardless though, but some people can make it work indoors under the right circumstances. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:48 am

I don't recommend foxes if you rent at all but an apartment is about the worst rental situation. Neighbors will complain about the smell and any noises and foxes indoors are very destructive even if you are there all the time because you can't literally be watching them 24/7 and crating them is cruel and will just make things worse when he is out and even when you are watching they are fast.
KuramaLove

Postby KuramaLove » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:31 am

Thanks for kind advises. Currently the apartment isn't mine, but I'm planning to move and buy my own apartment in 6 months.:)

When I was temporarily taking care of my friend's dogs, they totally destroyed my couch, bed, and other furniture(I dunno how the heck they made such big holes on mattress). Their crazy behavior was kinda fixed when I took them outside and played almost for 4 hours. So I just got wondered if fox's destructive level would be similar- then maybe I can manage.

Still, keeping my fox 24/7 indoor seems quite bad then.:( I'd done a lot of research for fox training, and my fox would be one of the imported exotic animals from American farm. We don't have any wild foxes here. I'm living in a major city and quite a lot of people here raise imported exotic animals such as mini horse, racoon, meerkat or arctic fox mostly in their apartments, and to be frank I witnessed a lot of re-homing. Kinda shame. One of my cousins had an arctic fox(shadow phase I suppose) about a year ago, and she always complained of her fox not acting like a dog. I dunno where the fox is now.

Although I'd never re-home my fox, and I'd do anything to make my fox happy, still I'm not sure how hard reality would hit me. So maybe I should reconsider and get a dog instead then. I'm thinking of Border collie or Shiba inu if I'm to get a dog. But I'll have a hard time forgetting fox kit...haha I'm so jealous of fox owners here with outdoor enclosures. Thanks again.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:17 am

keeping a fox indoors is a very bad idea.

I will tell you about my very first fox, maybe this will give you an idea.
I kept her in the house alot, but also had an outdoor enclosure which I would put her in for awhile every day.
however, she had had free run of my house. (I have a very big house, which I own)

here is how that idea turned out: she peed on everything, tables, lamps, shoes (which she also stole and chewed up)
I use to have have carpets then, I had to take the carpets out cause they stunk so bad. also had to replace the couch.
since I kept her in the house a lot, anytime I opened the outside door I had to watch she didn't get out.
one day, I was letting the dogs outside, the fox slipped outside, she ran away, later I found out a neighbor shot her killed her :cry:

after that I bought 3 foxes (at different times) this time, I built a very secure enclosure with a tower for them to climb.
they all loved the enclosure. I would sometimes let them in the house with me. (no carpets of course) as long as I kept an eye on them them for marking, I was able to stop them from doing that. (currently, I only have 1 fox left, the the first two died of old age)

anyway, keeping a fox indoors 24/7 is a very bad idea. also taking a fox for walks on a daily basis is not such a good idea either.+
some states don't allow a fox out of their enclosure. (that is how my state is anyway). there most likely will be people that might complain.
or if someone tried petting the fox, and the fox bit that person, the fox would be put down icon-sad

personally, I would suggest getting a small dog if you are living in an apartment. then later, get a fox when you are more prepared.

I also raise raccoons, to be honest, my opinion, raccoons are more friendly and 100% litter trained. my raccoons love attention, love to petted.

only my opinion based on my experience.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:01 pm

KuramaLove wrote:but I'm planning to move and buy my own apartment in 6 months

If you are in fact going to move into your own place, then wait to get a fox next year.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:21 pm

Even if you buy the apartment someone else owns and manages the building and they have to keep all tenants happy, odor and noise could still be an issue. They could say you have to get rid of him or move out. It will be hard to move if you own this place but can't stay in it. If possible buy a small house instead. If you can't get a house then I wouldn't do it.
KuramaLove

Postby KuramaLove » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:24 am

Well Im not living in states.... Im in Tokyo, to tell the truth. Guns or shooting isnt allowed here and the chance of pet fox being reported&put down is very slim. Got your point anyway.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:38 am

I thought maybe you were Europe. Fennecs are more available in Japan so that might be an option. Just be sure it's allowed by the housing rules.

Return to “FOXES”