please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Sick fox?

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

pbjb4

Sick fox?

Postby pbjb4 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:29 am

DSCF0091.JPG
I feed feral cats and caught this fox on my trail cam the past 2 nights. One of my cats had 4 kittens, which I was trying to trap, and now there is only 1 kitten left. I assume this fox killed the others. I am thinking it is a red fox but it doesn't look well to me. My mailman saw a fox running down a nearby road recently in the middle of the day and said it looked terrible. I am guessing it was probably this fox. I live in a small rural town with not many resources for animal control. Any suggestions for keeping it away? My ferals only come out at night. Thanks.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sick fox?

Postby pat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:07 am

it is hard to tell by the picture if the fox is sick. but the fact it is running down the street during the day don't sound good.
as far as the kittens, yep, foxes will kill and eat kittens. I had that happen here long time ago. also, a friend of mine use to feed the feral cats, and they all went missing.

as far as what to do about the fox, you might have a couple choices. not knowing where you live (state/country)
usually a game commission/DNR will try and catch it. of course kill it. or, if you can shoot the fox.
as far as trapping a fox, it is hard to do, foxes are sly. the only way I know of is a foot trap or a trap cage, which most foxes are too smart to go in.
if you use a trapping cage, you will have to bury it a bit, or cover it with bushes etc.

if you use a foot trap, keep checking it. one problem with a foot trap is, if another animal gets caught in it. I doubt a kitten would, but, I can't guarantee it.

the other members can give you some ideas also.

please keep us updated
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:07 pm

It will keep coming as long as you are leaving cat food out that it can eat. They are all about taking advantage of easy meals. It wont likely hurt adult cats since it's a harder fight. Catch and fix the ferals then there will be no more kittens to eat and it wont matter if it's around. Otherwise you have to find a away to feed the cat where it can't get any. Maybe put it out during the day and put it away at night. The cats will learn and start coming out for it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:19 pm

Also owls and other birds of prey take kittens and small cats all the time so there's no way to be sure the fox is to blame. Momma cats will even eat their own young if something is wrong with them. I was unfortunate enough to see this happen as a kit.

Return to “FOXES”