PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Grey foxes - Hillview exotics

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

StephO

Grey foxes - Hillview exotics

Postby StephO » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:10 pm

After looking on this forum and trying to find the best breeder I could, I am now on the waiting list for a grey fox kit from Hillview exotics. Everyone seemed to have a good opinion on them. Anyone have a fox from them and what their experience has been with having one of their foxes as a pet? (pics are ALWAYS encouraged). Also if anyone has a grey and has any pointers, advice (training, toys, what to expect, etc.) I want to be as prepared as possible!! TIA!! Anyone have one only indoors? A friend asked if I was putting in an electric fence so it could be outside with us (outside a enclosure) and I had never really thought of that, but didn’t know how I felt about them bc I have never had one or really been around them or if they would even work if we did do that. Ideas/pics for indoor/outdoor enclosures
Would be great too :)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Grey foxes - Hillview exotics

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:14 am

Invisible fence will not work for a fox. It even takes training for it to work with dogs but even once trained if something excites them enough to run through it then the fence will prevent them coming back. It wont prevent other animals from coming and attacking the fox either.

congrats. Grays do seem like one of the best and definitely the best of the easier to get species.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:42 am

Congratulations on putting down a deposit for a gray! I have reds, but I think I'd like a gray someday since they seem calmer. I think Hillview is a good choice.

I agree with TG, invisible fence won't work. If anything, it would likely do the opposite--fox gets shocked, freaks out and runs away. So I definitely wouldn't do that. A secure outdoor enclosure however would be great for the fox. I suggest using welded wire such as these: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/retriever-2-panel-expansion-pack.

You can also set up the enclosure indoors, if that is your preference, although I think both you and the fox would be happier to have an outdoor play place. The outdoors can be very enriching for them.

That being said, I know of a couple people who keep their grays indoors 24/7 with success, and it doesn't sound nearly as hard as keeping a red indoors. One person puts a belly band on her fox so it doesn't mark in her house.

Keep the questions coming. :) We're excited to have you here. We don't have many active gray fox owners anymore, so would love to hear about your experiences.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
StephO

Postby StephO » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:28 am

Thanks!! Like I said, I wasn’t sure about them at all. I don’t use shock collars or anything even so I didn’t know if electric fences actually shocked or what. Thanks very much! And I am finding that there are not a lot of greY owners so hopefully I can share my experiences on here so if anyone else is considering it they have a little more info. We do plan on building an enclosure for both inside and outside. I’ve been researching more the past couple of days and have seen that some people will put them on a leash with their harness outside. I imagine that would work as long as they can’t actually reach the fences don’t want him to get hung up or try to jump on it and get yanked back.

How active are they during the day with being nocturnal? People have mentioned taking them everywhere with them so they are even more socialized, but was curious as they sleep during the day how much that would disturb their rest cycle or if the are intermittent sleepers?

Also, I am also driving around 5-6 hours to get my kit, so any advice on the travel if you ran into any issues. I will have to post the things we make for him. our landscaper friend is going to find us a good tree that we can mount in our living room that will look both decorative and give him something to climb. We’re also going to be putting up some climbers and such for him in our Rec. room and such as well. We will be busy this winter. Lol.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:07 pm

The fox's sleep pattern will change a little to accommodate yours, but don't expect it to be reversed completely. So the fox will still be active at night unless you actively try to wear it out during the daytime consistently. Then it will be tired enough to fall asleep at night. Your fox will have his/her naptimes as well during certain parts of the day. I read in a red fox book that foxes sleep intermittently--around 15 minutes at a time--before they get up and change position, or look around. I've noticed this to be true with my reds--although I can't see my reds at nighttime, but assume they're awake during most of it.

For travel, bring lots of paper towels and windex with you! And a trash bag. It will be a lifesaver when your kit potties. Puppy pads to spread around the car will work well too so the kit doesn't pee in the car. Keep in mind, you'll likely have to feed your kit during travel, so whether that be from a bowl or a bottle will depend on what the kit is used to already.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “FOXES”