https://www.gofundme.com/f/my-sick-beagle-dog

could anyone post this on their Facebook, or whatever they have for media. It is for Lucy (my beagle) She is totally blind from cataracts in both eyes. She can get surgery, but, it cost $1000.00 per eye. Even if I got one eye done, it is better than nothing at all.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dog food recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14747]

wild fox question.

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

GitaBooks

Re: wild fox question.

Postby GitaBooks » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:06 am

How coyotes travel depends on the season. During the winter they often travel alone, during the spring and summer you may see them alone but they live in pairs. When their young are old enough they may travel as a group for a short time.

It also depends on the location (wilderness, forest, suburbs) and the type of coyote, as I think Eastern Coyotes are more likely to form packs than their smaller Western cousins.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:59 pm

Yes it was awful and I of course felt guilty for not letting her in sooner but we had done it all the time and I didn't realize she was at risk.

Hawks can not fly off with much weight at all as they weigh less than 3 pounds themselves but their claws are big so they can kill larger things like rabbits, cats, ducks, etc and eat them in place and can injure larger animals if they try and go at them but normally wont since it would risk injury to them selves as well. I had a small owl circle round and eye my 15 pound dog before. 0 chance it could have flown off with him but could have done some damage if it had tried but I pulled my dog close and it left.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:52 am

that wild fox is back again. this time, he moved somewhere on side or back of the property. he killed one of my ducks.
I have more litter to spread around the pond. now I have to find the fox hole and dump more litter near there.
Donnie is the only fox I have left. he is 12 this year. so I don't know how long he will last. he seems pretty healthy though.
from what I understand foxe's average life span is 10-12. Daryl lived to almost 13. Darla made it to 12 years old.

It snowed last night, now I might be able to follow the wild fox's tracks. I think he was back here again last night.
my two ducks and goose were in the pond this morning. even though the pond is frozen.

a friend of mine put come polls with aluminum foil covered on cardboard around the pond. (I didn't have any silver pie plates)
He also moved my fake alligator at the edge of the pond. I would like to get a couple more alligators. can't remember where I got it at.
the alligator I have use to light up and move. but, it don't work anymore icon-sad

I would like to get my goose and ducks in the front pen, but, they are hard to get them in there. icon-sad catching them is not easy.
maybe a net would help? I would have to buy one.

It is still dark now and cold, but, I will bundle up and go follow that fox's tracks.
the tracks I seen looked like that fox didn't go to close to the pond. so maybe the stuff my friend put up helped :shrug:

on another note, I wonder if there are two foxes. not sure about wild foxes. but, with my foxes, they were "helper" foxes.
in other words, when I would get a kit, my oldest fox would bring food to them.
what was really kind of cute, when I got Lucy (my beagle) my female fox would bring her food and drop it in front of Lucy and waited till she ate it.

I would like to put a foot trap for that wild fox. I would prefer using a hav-a-heart. but, foxes are too smart for that. I hate the idea of a foot trap.
If that is my only option, that is what I will do. the only problem with a foot trap is I have cats that wonder the property. I don't want them to get caught in a foot trap. I can make keep them in the house if I use a foot trap.

all ideas are welcome.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:06 am

I would like to put a foot trap for that wild fox. I would prefer using a hav-a-heart. but, foxes are too smart for that. I hate the idea of a foot trap. If that is my only option, that is what I will do. the only problem with a foot trap is I have cats that wonder the property. I don't want them to get caught in a foot trap. I can make keep them in the house if I use a foot trap.

Pat, please don't use leg-hold traps!!! That is SO INHUMANE!!! And besides, fox are typically WAY TOO SMART, and like you said, you'll probably end up catching one of your domestic animals instead LONG before you catch that fox, so then you'll have a dead pet, or at the very least, have to take one to the vet, which is costly.

Keep putting dirty litter or your fox's feces around the area that the wild fox is denning or frequenting. You can also collect your urine and dump it around, too. That helps discourage them. Sounds to me like you may have a female who is ready to den up and have her kits. Let me consult my "Living with Wildlife" book on other ways to deter foxes, and I'll get back with you on what that advises. I DO remember reading that erecting a scarecrow or two in the frequented area helps to deter them, and hanging helium balloons (which is kinda pointless to do in the winter, since the helium doesn't last long in the cold) but I can't remember some of the other advice. You can also play a radio in that area, too - but again, with it being winter, probably not a logical choice.

Not sure if you checked your voice mail messages from the weekend. I did try to call you on Saturday to catch up, but you didn't answer. icon-sad I'll try another time.
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Dana,

I really don't want to use a foot trap. I would have to keep checking it. I know a fox won't go in a humane trap.
I walked the property this morning and followed the foot prints. geez, that fox was everywhere. gary has so much junk laying around.
I did find a spot where a fox might be. maybe when it gets dark, I will look with a flashlight. maybe it is dening with babies :shrug:

I did get the two ducks and goose I have in the front pen. I have flashing lights I will put on at night.

I can remember when Daryl got loose long time ago, I knew where he was, but, had a hard time catching him.
we tried a large humane trap, but, he would not go in it. I ended up hiring a trapper. he set a foot trap for him.
but, we were all waiting. once he got in the foot trap, the trapper put a blanket over him and released him into a carrier.

I have a couple bags of litter, I am waiting for gary to bring it up back with his tractor. he is sick today,
I have a question: do you think if I put food on the other side of the fence, the fox would go for it and leave my animals alone?

I did get my goose and ducks in the front pen. they should be safer there.
I was wanting to put a fence skirt around the front pen. I was just thinking, have a ton of heavy duty bread trays. I can attach that to the bottom if the fence. electric would be better, but I don't have a good charger for the wire.

I am sorry I didn't answer when you called. I feel bad about it, I was and still am having computer problems. I bought a computer last year at staples,
dell was suppose to cover it for the first year. now I am fighting with them to get a replacement or fixed. geez, I talked to tech support, no one can speak English :roll: I will never buy anything from Staples again. I bought a printer a few weeks ago, pieces were falling off it :roll:
I returned it.

again, so sorry I didn't answer, I was going to call you today or tonight, but, I know you get busy. so when you get time, give me a call.

DeweysMom

Postby DeweysMom » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:09 pm

OK, so in addition to the suggestions I listed above, here are some other suggestions from my book on how to deter foxes. Note that this book was published in 1997, so I'm sure some of the suggestions are a bit dated. But regardless:

Repellents: No repellents are registered expressly for use in repelling foxes, although the many products sold to repel domestic dogs from yards and gardens will undoubtedly have a similar effect on a passing fox.

A quick Google search located this product - you could try if all else fails.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/bonide-repels-all-3-lb-granules-animal-repellent/3700782?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-lwn-_-google-_-lia-_-107-_-outdoorpesticide-_-3700782-_-0&kpid&store_code=415&k_clickID=go_625853898_34614667510_111134445670_pla-258377379336_c_1025426&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6bvZp5m14AIVkrbACh0dCgkMEAQYASABEgLIGPD_BwE

Scare Devices: Mylar party balloons, with their silvery finish, may provide effective deterrent. Strips of aluminum foil attached to rope or string around the perimeter of an area frequented by fox may be an effective deterrent as well. Regular party balloons inflated and attached or hung in areas frequented by fox may also achieve success. Basically, anything that doesn't occur naturally in a wild environment should give even the boldest fox second thoughts.

Scent Devices: Ammonia-soaked rags placed at the entrance of a burrow or around the place where animals come and go may encourage their leaving. Anything with a human scent will alarm the foxes as well, and some have recommended putting smelly sweat socks or old sneakers around the area where foxes come and go.

Additionally, I would recommend lessening the amount of junk or structures that a fox can rest under. The more stuff they can get in under, the more 'habitat' you provide for them. Sadly, I know Gary won't do a thing about all the junk he has laying around on your property, so I guess trying to resolve the problem that way won't work.

So basically, you have your work cut out. You want to remove any food or shelter sources, and then you want to make your acreage as fox-UN-friendly as possible. Good luck! :lol:
Dana

2 Dogs - a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, & an Australian Shepherd; 3 Cats; 2 horses, 1 mule; One very spoiled raccoon and the love of my life, Dewey James, and the recently added but much adored, Bobby Lee, brother raccoon to Dewey
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:31 am

dana

thank you for info. I will have to read your info a little later.
I have been sick for about 4 days. (in bed sick) today is the 1st day I got out of bed. Gary has been a real trooper. he keeps checking on me, he will bring me tea. he also has been feeding the animals for me.

right now, I have to back up all my files on my computer, then pack it up and send it back to dell.
After fighting with them for days about warranty, I had to email them my receipt. (I used the shop computer to do all this) :roll:

I bought this overpriced computer at staples. Staples has gone downhill (at least in my area)
I will not deal with Staples again. I will go to best buy (further for me) but will be worth it.

Thank you again for the info, I can't function too much right now, I will read through it after my computer is back.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:57 am

Dana,

sorry for taking so long to reply. I printed out the info you suggested. I will see if I can find it.
the only problem is, it would take a lot to border all my property. However, I can at least put it around the front pen.

this fox is so bold, he will run across the property in front of gary and marco.
then a couple of days later, he was in the front property in the cow's pasture. he actually made eye contact with me,
he did not run until I started walking toward him.

so far, this fox has killed all my adult guineas. killed 2 young guineas. I only have 4 left. they stay in the front pen.
but, during the day, they will wonder in the back.

also, I think this fox can get in the front pen. yesterday, I found a chicken with bites on her. they were pretty bad.(I put her in a large dog crate I have and tried to treat the wounds. however, she died a day later. :cry: )

looks like all the chickens ran into a large cyllnder I have in the pen, the door is big enough for the chickens to go in.
however, a fox usually will not go in a place that is confined like this cylinder is.

sorry, but, gary and marco are trying to kill it. last weekend they did shoot at him, but, guess the fox was too fast.

I will still get the "Bonide Repels" and see if it works. I would think when it rains, it would wash away?

thank you for info, and sorry for taking so long to reply.

Return to “FOXES”