Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

Considering Arctic Fox

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

cmpenney

Considering Arctic Fox

Postby cmpenney » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:24 pm

WE had some friend of ours give us a red fox kit that they had found near their home. They didn't know what to do with it and knew that we are animal nuts so asked if we would take it, which we did. We took care of him for 4 months while we worked to get a permit to keep him long term.

Unfortunately that option fell through and we ended up taking him to a rehabilitation center. In the mean time our family and especially our daughter fell in love with him. We located a breeder about 2 hours away that has Arctic's available and are seriously considering getting on. Permits aren't required for them in our area, ( Other than a city one which I was able to get already) so it seems like a good option. However I'm finding a lot of conflicting information on how and Arctic compares to a Red.

I know that every animal is different and nurture can be a significant factor how an animal behaves in the long term but just generally speaking?
Things like aggression, marking, odor in general. While we have no plans or desire to have him in the house full time or even most of the time we do want to allow him to hangout and socialize with us the house on a somewhat regular basis.

You see lots of videos of foxes of all types indoors but they always paint a prefect rosy picture of what its like to keep any animal as a pet. I'm surprised I'm not found one that makes it look like keeping a pet hippo in your living room seem like the best idea ever.
Juska

Re: Considering Arctic Fox

Postby Juska » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:59 pm

From what I remember, arctics are not as "tame" as reds are even when bred as a companion animal. IIRC their odor/urine is a lot stronger. It is not recommended to keep an arctic indoors due to this.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the American shorthair
cmpenney

Postby cmpenney » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:17 pm

Thanks for the post. It seems like there is just a great deal of conflicting information out there and most of the online forums seem to be quite inactive. It seems to be very difficult to find someone that actually has one to get some real feedback.

Like yourself most of what I read is from people that don't have one themselves but have heard from others. I'd really like to find someone with real first person experience to get their take on them. It's been hard to come by.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:24 pm

I don't have any personal experience either, but I did a lot of research on them a few years ago (I love foxes).
There is a ton of conflicting information, like you said, but from my understanding, the most important thing to keep in mind is that arctic foxes do quite poorly in warm climates. It is stressful to them, as their body shape and fur is not adapted to handle temperatures over about 80 F.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:15 am

artic foxes are more difficult to care for. they require cool weather year round.
they do not litter train well or at all. red foxes will litter train.

I know artics are beautiful, and I am sure it would be hard to resist.

just please make sure of their proper needs. also, a good size enclosure is a must. however, depending on where you live,
they should be kept cool year round.

I found this info by researching. there is or was a member here that had an artic fox.
I will see if I can find info on this board from the member that had the artic fox.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:24 am

here is a link to most of the artic foxes on this board:
search.php?keywords=artic+fox&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I don't have time to read through all of it, so you can pick and choose what you want to read.

hope this info helps. please keep us updated.

Krestovka

Postby Krestovka » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:33 pm

I did not have a red fox so I can not compare them but my arctic fox was a clear and intelligent animal from the beginning. I did not teach him litter because he taught himself how to get on a mat. Fox's excrement are smelly so you need often to clean up. The smell of his fur is fine, it's not a problem. Arctic foxes does not like heat and in the summer should give him more water. The problem with the Arctic fox is also aggression my fox often growled and bit (slightly) when he did not like something.

I'm sorry for my English, I'm using an google translator, I hope that everything is understandable
My pets: 4 cats, 1 arctic fox

Sorry for my english i using google translator
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:27 am

Krestovka wrote:I did not have a red fox so I can not compare them but my arctic fox was a clear and intelligent animal from the beginning. I did not teach him litter because he taught himself how to get on a mat. Fox's excrement are smelly so you need often to clean up. The smell of his fur is fine, it's not a problem. Arctic foxes does not like heat and in the summer should give him more water. The problem with the Arctic fox is also aggression my fox often growled and bit (slightly) when he did not like something.

I'm sorry for my English, I'm using an google translator, I hope that everything is understandable

Thank you for telling us about your experience with an Artic fox. They are beautiful. but, more difficult to raise.
I had 4 red fox family over the years. the foxes I had were really not "red". just in the red fox family. (My icon shows my youngest) sadly, he passed away about a month ago, he was over 12 years old.
most foxes life span is 10-12. my Marble passed away at 13. my silver fox passed away about a year ago at 12 icon-sad
All my foxes were liter trained. However, some will mark. as you know, that is natural for most foxes.

I am sure you know that there is many color variations in the red fox family. I was thinking of getting another one, but, I already have my hands full now.

Actually, my best experience with foxes, was my first one (he was a marble) when I bought him as a kit, I also bought a baby raccoon.
both were raised together. those two were so bonded, and was able to communicate with each other. Even though I had two other foxes,
Daryl (my first one) preferred being with my raccoon. when my raccoon died of cancer, Daryl (my fox) cried out for him for 5 months. it was so sad.

again, thank you for sharing your experience. (your English is fine)

here is the picture of the foxes I had: http://sybilsden.com/fox/foxmain.htm
I need to update my site, all I need now is some time. (hard to find these days :lol: )

Krestovka

Postby Krestovka » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:28 am

I've seen and read your fox page,I'm sorry about that Donnie left icon-sad . As for the length of life I have heard that foxes live up to 16 years but I am not sure if this is true. Your foxes are beautiful icon-smile
My pets: 4 cats, 1 arctic fox

Sorry for my english i using google translator
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:10 am

Krestovka wrote:I've seen and read your fox page,I'm sorry about that Donnie left icon-sad . As for the length of life I have heard that foxes live up to 16 years but I am not sure if this is true. Your foxes are beautiful icon-smile

I miss having a fox. but, can't get anymore right now. I always wanted a pearl fox. I seen the adults, they are pretty well, to you, me and all the fox owners, all foxes are beautiful.

It is pretty rare that a fox will live up to 16 years. but, yes, it has happned. I agree with you. wonder If genetics have anything do to with a foxes life span :shrug:

Foxyknoxy

Postby Foxyknoxy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:33 am

When do foxes typically shed and do they lose weight?
Foxyknoxy

Postby Foxyknoxy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:38 am

I don't have a pet fox but 3 that I regularly feed. One of them is skinny and losing his hair. I called a wildlife rescue to see if I should give him a dose of ivermectin to see if it's mange. I haven't given it to him yet. Has anyone ever had a problem with hair and weight loss in a fox?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:15 am

Foxyknoxy wrote:When do foxes typically shed and do they lose weight?

usually early summer. they might look like they lose weight, but, after shedding they do look skinny.
some foxes shed more than others.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:24 am

Foxyknoxy wrote:I don't have a pet fox but 3 that I regularly feed. One of them is skinny and losing his hair. I called a wildlife rescue to see if I should give him a dose of ivermectin to see if it's mange. I haven't given it to him yet. Has anyone ever had a problem with hair and weight loss in a fox?

some foxes will shed more than others. out of the 3 foxes I had, only one shed pretty bad (he was a marble fox) I could see his skin.
but, near fall, their beautiful coat comes back. my glazer fox and silver fox shed a little, but, not at all like my marble fox.
(for the record, the foxes I mentioned are all in the red fox family)

the answer to your question is" yes, most foxes will shed, they look very skinny after they shed. the ivermectin will help if he has worms.
However, worms should not cause a fox to shed fur.

If you want to give those foxes worm meds, that's fine. I bought some from TSC for my 2 dogs. my one did have worms. the stuff I got from TSC did help. some vet also sells "IDstrong" worm meds.

in your case, it might be hard to give the correct dosage to the right fox. not sure what all you have there.

hope this info helped. please keep us updated.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:39 pm

Starting early summer going all the way to August I've noticed my four losing weight and fur. It's a long process. My Fable, who I thought was a bit chunky, actually just put on some extra winter weight and has lost almost all of that now. I'd like him to lose a teensy bit more, but may tackle that next summer. He's a lot slimmer than he was.

I swear, they keep shedding out their winter coat until it's time for them to grow it again.

Do you have a photo of the fox you think has mange? Maybe it's just shedding?
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!

Return to “FOXES”