Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

Red foxes.

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

thisiskatie

Red foxes.

Postby thisiskatie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:12 am

Hello all. My name is Katie. I'm new to the board; not so much new to wanting a red fox.
I'm absolutely in love with them. Actually have a plan in place to get one tattooed on my side fairly soon. (Promise I'll post a picture when I do.)

Like I said, I've wanted to have a red fox as a companion for a really long time now. I live in Florida, so this is possible. I also have a boyfriend (who is my future roommate) who fell in love with the idea of having a fox when I mentioned it to him. We don't plan to move out for at least six months to a year, and I want us to be settled first so that we don't bring the poor unsuspecting creature into total chaos. (I don't have any plans in the NEAR future to purchase the animal because I want to do extensive research and be really prepared, for my future friend's sake.)

Anyway, the point of this post was just to ask for advice on anything concerning diet, habitat, etc. Anything you would suggest I do to best take care of a red fox. Also, feel free to share your stories, pictures, anything else. I would really appreciate that.
blacksagephoenix

Re: Red foxes.

Postby blacksagephoenix » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:21 am

Hi, and welcome! You are definitely in the right place. (And don't be offended if we act like you don't know anything, lol; We are just informative the best way we can be).

Will you and your boyfriend be moving into a house or apartment? Rent or own? The reason I ask is because, with a red fox, and most species of foxes, you really will need an outdoor enclosure. The have a pretty strong odor when it comes to their excrement. And if you think it won't bother you inside, please reconsider. I had to house my marble fox (which is unfortunately no longer with me) in a bedroom at my parents for a week back when we had that HORRIBLE string of hurricanes a few years back. Todd was 100% litter trained and I cleaned it day and night, but just being in there for a week, I still can smell that foxy odor, although EXTREMELY faint now, it is still there, and the carpets have been cleaned several times since. If you are renting, your landlord may not appreciate that smell after you move out. And may not allow you to build a large enclosure. But ofcourse there are people out there that won't mind, so not discouraging you. Where I lived with Todd was infact a rental. We lived on the same land as my landlord, too. And they loved him. Just make sure they understand what a fox entails as well. And make sure you can stay there long enough until you find and settle into your OWN home. Being in a rental myself, I decided to stick with a Fennec for now, until I can afford to buy my own land and build an enclosure of a red (or marble again). Fennecs are easier to convince a landlord to have.

Ragtatter, a member here, has a FANTASTIC blog about enclosures, as well as a lot of information about owning foxes: http://www.thepetfox.net/

As far a permits go, have you taken a look at the process? It is fairly easy to get the class III permit, but if you need help, I would be more than happy to help you. I also live in Florida and have gone through that process more than once!

You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders, and your off to a great start! Everyone here is very informative and straight-forward. Please don't be afraid to ask ANYTHING here, no matter how stupid you may think the question is.
*~*~*~*~* Chell *~*~*~*~*

Mother of one daughter, one dog, two cats, one fennec fox, three hedgehogs, two short tailed opossums, three sugar gliders, three velveteen rabbits, one bearded dragon, one tortoise, twelve ball pythons, and several rats.
thisiskatie

Postby thisiskatie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:06 am

I'm so sorry I didn't respond sooner. Thank you so much, your response has been very helpful. As it turns out, my boyfriend and I will be moving into an apartment, so I'm going to hold off on a red fox for a few years until I can provide some outdoor space for one. :)

I've been thinking more about fennecs, though. There's a vet right down the road from me that accepts them and I'm going to call my future landlord again tomorrow to confirm (he's seemed pretty okay with it thus far, based on their size at maturity and some internet research he's done). I just wondered if one (or two; I hear they like to have another furry friend) would be okay in an apartment? I've heard you can take them for walks and they'll be fine, so long as you use a harness rather than a collar.

Sorry if this is not your fox of expertise, haha :) I'm just a very anxious person and I would rather know ahead of time, so I can provide a proper home for the little creature. (I have a lot of friends who work for animal adoption agencies. I see way too many that come back to the agencies, and those are just cats and dogs.)

Also, the permit seems simple enough, but it seems like it repeats itself a little bit. Do I have to fill it out all three times? I feel kind of stupid for asking. :P

Once again, thank you so much for your previous response. It was really helpful in the decision to hold off getting a red.
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:21 am

I thought the same thing about the Florida class III permit I recently submitted, "Why do I have to fill in the same info on three identical pages?" But it says to return all the copies, so you'll want to.

The onlt things I know about fennecs I've read here.

They can be quite loud when excited
As far as I'm aware, they don't litter train 100%, but if you won't have carpet in the app it probably won't really be a dig deal?
They can be affectionate, but on their terms.
Very small, so perhaps the only pet fox that can be happy living in an app.
While expensive, are avaliable in Florida.

Just a very basic overview.
blacksagephoenix

Postby blacksagephoenix » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Depending on what part of Florida you are in, I wouldn't mind you coming over for a visit to experience a fennec in an apartment! Haha!

I have a fennec, and am thinking about getting a second one, but it is best to just get one in the beginning. I say this because if I had gotten two, I would probably never have the bond I (finally) got with my girl. She just turned 6 months old a few days ago, and she just now is to the point where she will sleep on me, or the back of the couch. hell, she is even returning to her cage to sleep! That never happened before! We are planning on getting a kitten soon, so we are hoping this doesn't change how she is towards us, because she will have a new playmate.

As far as walking on a leash goes, not gonna happen! lol. We used to take her EVERYWHERE! Literally, like, everywhere except the grocery store. Walmart, Target, Ross, Best Buy. Up until she turned about 4 months old, she went everywhere with us, with a snug ferret harness and leash. We never put her down, because she wouldn't understand to follow. After about 2 weeks of not going anywhere, we decided to take her to the reptile shop to visit some of the fabulous employees there that always request to see her again. She did not like it anymore! Literally walking out the front door and she was spazing! Also, not sure that I have seen this reported anywhere, but she releases this really gross smell when she is scared. Never experienced it before so at first we were like, "What is that smell? Where is it coming from?" It was her. She was freaking out over the short trip, even though she has done it a hundred times! Now, she also releases that odor when we clip her nails (and boy, are they sharp!). I wanted to ask Elina about this odor thing, so hopefully she will respond to this.

So, nails. These little buggers are extremely fast! And they do NOT hesitate to run you over if you are on the couch and in the middle of their "race track". Haha. Keep them trimmed, they don't hurt (as much).

Jen is right about what she posted for fennec information. They are loud, REALLY loud! Ever hear a cat being stepped on? That loud shriek they make? It sounds almost exactly like that, except extremely loud and ear piercing! lol. I am greated with it the second I am awake. Oh, and in the middle of the night when my daughter wakes up and I have to go check on her. Or really anytime Sika hasn't seen someone in, oh, two minutes? Leave the room, come back, expect to be yelled at! lol. It's not horrible, and I am in no way trying to talk bad about them. Just expect random loud shrieking. lol

My BIGGEST issue with Sika is the fact that she is always trying to dig. If she didn't dig, I wouldn't lock her away in a cage when I wasn't around. If you have (or will be getting) carpet, keep a squirt bottle around with some water in it. If they smell ANYTHING in the carpet, they will dig at it. When I vacuum, I use that powder smelly good stuff, but then I have to deal with her going NUTS over the smell and digging everywhere for like two days. lol.

As far as litter training goes, I never tried teaching Sika, thinking it was pointless to even try considering all I read. BUT, she decided on her own that she likes to use her cage as her potty. When she is out running around, she will (most of the time) jump in her cage and go potty on the bottom level. If she is sleeping in her cage (she sleeps on the top level), she will get up and go to the bottom level to go to the bathroom. If she is out and her cage is closed (we keep it closed when my daughter is awake), then she will either jump up into the top level's door, or be lazy and go to the bathroom on the floor, right in front of her cage. I have even experienced this when I was cleaning, I closed up her cage (she was out running around) and pushed it to the other side of the room to vacuum under it. She went over to her cage and tried to get it, but couldn't, so she pooped on the floor in front of it. That told me that she poops near her cage because she has claimed it as her go-to spot. Even when it was moved, she didn't go on the floor where her cage was, but to the actual cage!

Sorry for rambling on about Sika. lol

As far as the permits here go, Jen is correct on that one, too. Fill them all out and mail them all in. They get filed in separate departments, so all are necessary. The lady in charge in the Captive Wildlife department in Tallahassee is really nice. Her name is Dot. If you have any questions about anything, give her a call.

So, I will leave it at this and let other people post, too. But if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

Edit: Just wanted to clarify that her screaming usually only happens when she is in her cage. I work from home, and her cage is right next to my computer. When my boyfriend comes home from school, she immediately starts to scream at him. If I am on the phone with a customer, I am in trouble, because she doesn't stop until she gets let out! But we can't let her out right then because she will be screaming with excitement as she runs around for 10 minutes or so. lol. And yes, the screaming is her excited sound. Also, when people come over (our neighbor stops in every other day or so, same with my dad and some close friends), she will run around screaming at them, all excited that someone is here. But yeah, screaming only happens when we haven't been home for a little bit or have been in the bedroom (sleeping, getting dressed, going to the bathroom), or anytime we leave the room for a few minutes or more and she is in her cage. Outside her cage, not a big issue.

Haha, and sometimes she jumps in her cage to go to sleep all by herself, and then doesn't realize the cage is still open. She will scream at us to let her out again, and we are just like, ummm... door is open? lol

Mother of one daughter, one dog, two cats, one fennec fox, three hedgehogs, two short tailed opossums, three sugar gliders, three velveteen rabbits, one bearded dragon, one tortoise, twelve ball pythons, and several rats.
thisiskatie

Postby thisiskatie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:41 am

Thank you guys so much :) You're so helpful.
Don't apologize for talking about Sika. :) It's good to hear a firsthand account, you know? Without one, I would've tried the walking thing, and I don't run very fast, so...haha.
I live in Central Florida, kind of around the Orlando area. That's really sweet of you to offer, and I think that would be amazing. I'm really anxious to meet a fennec. I fell in love with them in fourth grade when I wanted to be the next Steve Irwin and I spent all my time watching documentaries on Animal Planet and Discovery all the time.
I think I'll be okay with the noise. My sister rescued what is literally the most vocal cat I've ever heard last year, and he makes these ridiculous noises that are barely bordering on catlike anymore every time she so much as leaves the room. All of the animals in my life have ended up very vocal because I talk to them a lot, haha.
As far as the permit goes, I figured it was something like that. But my initial reaction is always to think that I'm just crazy and doing something wrong, so I just wanted to check. :)

Can't stress this enough: Thank you. You're the best. <3
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:37 am

im flying into orlando friday to meet with my red fox who will have just arrived from russia :)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
blacksagephoenix

Red foxes.

Postby blacksagephoenix » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:39 am

Well I live in Nortern central Florida, in Gainesville. About two and a half hours away from Orlando. When you and your boyfriend move, are you stating in the Orlando area?

zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:10 pm

nope we are in michigan and will be moving to a diff city in michigan. only going to florida because my importer has a facility outside of orlando where anya will be living until the dnr gets around to issuing my permit

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
foxftw

Postby foxftw » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:40 pm

you are for sure moving some where? does that mean they have already decided to screw you over and not let you keep your fox?
blacksagephoenix

Red foxes.

Postby blacksagephoenix » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:49 pm

Sorry to confuse you zebra. I was posting that in response to thisiskatie. Lol. But also nice to hear your plans too!! :)

thisiskatie

Postby thisiskatie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:07 pm

Yeah, we were planning on staying in the Orlando area. I've been to Gainesville before. :)
thisiskatie

Postby thisiskatie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:09 pm

PS - Which breeder did you get your fennec from? I know a lot of people have to go out of state, and that's fine with me. I just don't know who else to go to for advice on this sort of thing :P
blacksagephoenix

Red foxes.

Postby blacksagephoenix » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:41 pm

I bought Sika from a breeder up in Pennsylvania. But unfortunately, Sika was a part of his last litter. Her two brothers are now in the Tampa area. But he no longer is breeding. It's sad because he did a great job.

Julie's Jungle is the only fennec breeder I know of in Florida, but there are a few other places that broker exotics in Florida and might be able to help out. Sika's breeder got the parents from Exotic Endeavors out of California. Not really sure of any others.

A site you could possibly check out for more breeder info is fennecfoxes.net/breeders.html

Keep in mind that site is probably out dated, but you could email the people listed and see if they still breed. Or may have helpful information either way.

Return to “FOXES”