Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

Sigh..neighbors.

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Alynn

Re: Sigh..neighbors.

Postby Alynn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:46 pm

Some people have nothing better to do but sit around, gossip, and pass laws based on their fear of things they don't understand.

Makes me angry.
TobiasAmaranth

Postby TobiasAmaranth » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:51 pm

Nova wrote:I must agree this is bureaucratic BS. And yes, some of the stupidest laws imaginable are in city ordinance (carson city, where I grew up, has a law against playing ball in the street). There is always some silly law they will try to quote, and it sucks that you have to start all over again when the last enclosure was approved. I would definitely start looking into any sort of protection you can get on this next approval so they can't have you start building and then rescind it again.

That's pretty much what I've been saying to her. After a sneak peak at her problems, I told her there should be something she can do since they gave an okay to begin with. If they're going to take it back, then that means SOMEONE wasn't doing their job in the first place. I'm glad that our first US fox owner is pleasantly hard headed, because we're going to need someone forceful to impress on others that these foxes have no risk aside from excessive digging! :P Poor random flower beds...
Footage of two Russian Domesticated foxes, currently residing at the Austin Zoo and Animal Sanctuary.
25-clip Playlist - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2E542464FD1F2CCE
haira32

Postby haira32 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:25 pm

Hows it going Zebra? Are you still building?
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:37 pm

Wow. You're neighbor sounds like a b*tch. And she does know this a fox right? Not a wolf or Eastern Coyote. Even red foxes(the biggest species of fox) are only slightly bigger than a housecat. Anybody that knew the size of a fox and that they only eat rodents wouldn't(or shouldn't) be afriad of them. Not that it would do much good because she sounds like a jerk,but have you tried telling her how small foxes actually are and that the only prey that they are able to kill are rodents, like rats and mice?(Well, technically, they can kill rabbits too,but you probably should leave that one out as domestic rabbits can get pretty big which may give the illusion to her that foxes are bigger than they really are).

Of course, granted those of north american foxes. European foxes from England atleast in pictures always look huge to me compared to the north american foxes,but that's a fact probably best not mentioned either.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
kermisracer

Postby kermisracer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:00 pm

European foxes are notably larger. The red foxes native to N. America are a little bigger than a house cat but smaller than a jungle cat, 12-15 lbs, say. Red foxes of European descent (introduced across N. America) and their hybridized offspring are as big as jungle cats (though still not as heavy.)
LadyHerpetologist

Postby LadyHerpetologist » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:46 am

I tend to be of the belief that you can have anything you want as long as you paint it brown. I had a high percentage coydog for 16 years. When I"d occasionally be asked what she was, I just casually said she was shepherd mix, which was the truth! I didn't tell them what the shepherd was mixed with! It's quite possible that neighbors getting a glimpse would think she was a dog. After all, everyone knows foxes are red. A fox of a totally different color would probably not be recognized as such by most people unless they really were knowlegible about wildlife.

A friend of mine lives in an area with breed specific bans. He loves Dobermans, and moving isn't a viable option. So he bought a puppy from a respected breeder before the litter was born. He wanted a fawn Dobe with the ears and tail left natural. Now, even 7 years later he goes jogging after work with his "funny colored Weimaraner"!

I'm interested to know how all this turned out for you, nearly a year later. Did the biddy next door finally mind her own business, or did you have to move?
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:55 am

LadyHerpetologist wrote:I tend to be of the belief that you can have anything you want as long as you paint it brown. I had a high percentage coydog for 16 years. When I"d occasionally be asked what she was, I just casually said she was shepherd mix, which was the truth! I didn't tell them what the shepherd was mixed with! It's quite possible that neighbors getting a glimpse would think she was a dog. After all, everyone knows foxes are red. A fox of a totally different color would probably not be recognized as such by most people unless they really were knowlegible about wildlife.

A friend of mine lives in an area with breed specific bans. He loves Dobermans, and moving isn't a viable option. So he bought a puppy from a respected breeder before the litter was born. He wanted a fawn Dobe with the ears and tail left natural. Now, even 7 years later he goes jogging after work with his "funny colored Weimaraner"!

I'm interested to know how all this turned out for you, nearly a year later. Did the biddy next door finally mind her own business, or did you have to move?

People have tried to pass foxes off as dogs, but people still don't believe it. I suppose it may work for some. From a distance, the average person probably wouldn't recognize a non-red as a fox. That is funny about the friend with the Doberman. Hah, "funny colored Weimaraner".

As for the part asking how it turned out a year later, the original post was made not even a month ago. Hard to say how it's going for Zebrafox - hopefully well. They're definitely putting her through some legal h*ll.
Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:42 pm

I'd also love to hear how things are going Zebra!

And I did something similar to the funny colored weimaraner with my pittbull mix. He had lab in him, and the chunky lab body mixed with the pittish head, we just called him our chunky lab and no one was ever the wiser. With a fox, it might be a harder sell.
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
amyers

Postby amyers » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:12 pm

I could see an arctic maybe being passed off as a pom mix.... maybe.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:28 pm

amyers wrote:I could see an arctic maybe being passed off as a pom mix.... maybe.

If I remember correctly, someone with an Arctic tried it and it didn't work. Might have been Alynn...not sure.
TobiasAmaranth

Postby TobiasAmaranth » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:30 pm

You could allllmost get away with "Corgi mix" with these Russian ones, with their broader nose. Except for them, for the most part, being non-corgi colors. :3

Anyway as for Zebra, she was having problems with her phone in replying to here (reformatted recently), but from what I've heard things seem to be going better for her. She was saying 'it's only a few weeks now' till she goes to pick up Anya, so it sounds like she's got stuff resolved to the point she's confident in obtaining her fox. I hope she can update us soon on how the crazy-old-lady's been acting.
Footage of two Russian Domesticated foxes, currently residing at the Austin Zoo and Animal Sanctuary.
25-clip Playlist - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2E542464FD1F2CCE
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:24 pm

the_unstable wrote:
amyers wrote:I could see an arctic maybe being passed off as a pom mix.... maybe.

If I remember correctly, someone with an Arctic tried it and it didn't work. Might have been Alynn...not sure.

That was in the summer. It'd be a lot easier now that she's all white though.
kikisagata

Postby kikisagata » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:14 pm

I believe there was another member on here that told someone that they had a fox and they didn't believe him. I believe the member was jq something. it was quite a while ago I believe. but he had a arctic or maybe just a arctic marble I'm not quite sure, but the person would not accept that he had a fox and insisted it was a dog mix even if it was a fox. so I think that a person might believe if u chose to say it us a dog, most people are not accepting to believe someone might have an exotic animal. I showed a few people pictures of the fox I wanted a not to long ago and the people (a group of 5) insisted it was a border collie/malamute mix, because it was a white mark, insisting that was a dogs trait. And when I showed the some marbles there response was the same they even came up with more dogs that could make a mix like that, saying hound dog mixes are same and even red sometimes and all kinda of other explanations. I was shocked, it only shows what people can come up with to prove themselves right..

And zebra I hope that everything is working out for u! and good luck with that crazy old lady, I hope she'll get passed everything even if its highly unlikely since old people are so set in there ways. But I'm super excited for u anyways! Can't wait for the pics!
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:59 am

A picture is one thing, but when they encounter the live animal, it would be much more obvious. The way they move, smell, the sounds they make are all very different than dogs. However, like you sort of said, people will come up with anything to prove themselves right.

"but he had a arctic or maybe just a arctic marble I'm not quite sure"
"Arctic marble" is a red fox/vulpes vulpes, just like silvers, platinums, pearls, white marks, reds, etc. I believe the "arctic marble" thing started with breeders wanting people to think they were selling them weird colors of the Arctic fox species, when they are just reds and the real color name being marble.

The member you're talking about has an Arctic by the way.
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi Guys
An update:
The Russians are finally ready to export anya!
My importer is leaving for Russia on the 9th (thats this thursday!) to pick up Anya!
He will return next week with her. Its like a 30 hour each way trip and Id have to take off too much work so Im not going.

Please wish me luck with a successful importation and hope that nothing goes wrong this time...

My enclosure is complete (it turned out really nice even though it had to be made a lot smaller than my original plans) and I submitted my application for a state permit. However the DNR is really backed up and told me it might be a month or two before they can even arrange an inspection....
If my neighbor would not have interfered with construction, i could have had my permit by now. Im really irked by this. Anya will be in the U.S. next week but will have to stay at my importers facility in Florida until my permit is issued and I can bring her to Michigan... So on the 17th I will fly to Florida to spend the weekend with her (and possibly every weekend until she is able to come to Michigan). So...when i return from my first weekend trip with her... I will have lots of photos and videos for you guys!!!

My appeal to the farmington zoning board is on March 2nd where i will make the case that there is no city law against a private individual keeping an exotic in an enclosure on their property, and even if there were, my animal does not conform to their definitions of exotic.

On feb 13 though there is a town council meeting where theyre going to discuss banning ownership of exotics in the wake of the crazy Ohio guy incident. Im going to attend that and see what I can do there to fight against it. If a ban passes I will be looking for a house in a different city.

Return to “FOXES”