https://www.gofundme.com/f/my-sick-beagle-dog

could anyone post this on their Facebook, or whatever they have for media
It is for Lucy (my beagle) she has some serious health issues.
=======================================

Dog food recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14747

Shopping List For a New Fox Owner

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Sherlocke

Shopping List For a New Fox Owner

Postby Sherlocke » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:41 am

Hello, everybody!
I have been looking at buying a domesticated fox for a long while now, and I am thinking that if I am lucky, I may adopt one by the end of next year. I'm the type of person who likes to get all my ducks in a line early on so I can proof-check and make sure everything is a-okay... so I wanted to know what I'm going to need to start as a new owner! Here is all of the information I have so far: I'm looking most likely at a male Red or perhaps Silver fox (either way, one of that general size, not Fennec.); I do not really have a preference of what age, but for the sake of this topic, let's assume he will be a kit. I grew up with a puppy and basically raised her myself, so I understand the gist of what age and size is right to change food types, bedding, and certain toys in a general sense. So the list I'm looking at information on is food, bedding, type of toys (I imagine they need a very sturdy type of toy considering their sharp little teeth), grooming care (I have a Hungarian Vizsla purebred dog, so I've never had to buy anything for long hair), cage, and any other minor things I may need. Note: I would prefer to potty-train the fox to go outside like a dog does if at all possible.
Just a basic list will do, even short bullet-point; I just really don't know where to start and need all the help I can get! Any advice or personal experience would be so, so helpful. :) Thank you so much! I really appreciate it~

EDIT: I thought it was legal in my state, but now I'm not quite sure... so confusing! Could anyone also tell me the laws on owning a pet fox in Minnesota (where I live now), Wisconsin or Missouri (where I may live in the future)? Thanks again!
the_unstable

Re: Shopping List For a New Fox Owner

Postby the_unstable » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:53 am

Hello, welcome to Sybil's Den :) When you say domesticated fox, are you referring to the several thousand dollar foxes from the Russian experiment? I am assuming not since you mentioned that you do not want a Fennec and the Russian experiment does not include anything but Vulpes Vulpes. Other than the foxes in the Russian experiment, there are no domesticated foxes in existence (though I personally don't know if I consider even the Russian foxes to be domesticated). Foxes are tamed rather than domesticated. Red and Silver foxes are the same species, both Vulpes Vulpes, just different color morphs. When getting a fox to keep as a companion animal, you will almost always want to get a very young kit. Foxes generally do not rehome well and taking in an older fox is something that is better suited for those who already have experience with foxes.

As for comparing foxes with puppies...well, there is really no comparison as they are entirely different animals, despite both being canids. A foxes diet is vastly different from that of a domestic dog. Also, toys suitable for a dog may not be suitable for a fox as foxes are incredibly destructive. As for cages, you should not keep a fox in a cage. It will most likely be wild, destructive, and miserable. Red foxes smell very very very strongly and generally are not kept indoors. You will need an outdoor enclosure of at least 10'x10'. You should not have a red fox on a rental property, and especially not in an apartment. Foxes generally do not potty train like dogs. They mark and their urine smells exactly like a skunk. Sometimes Arctic foxes can be trained to go outside like a dog, but they will still mark in the house and ruin your carpets.

Not to offend, but it sounds like you have not yet researched what foxes are like as companion animals. Hang around the forum for a while, read through the old threads, and you'll learn a great deal about foxes in captivity. Pat, the admin of this forum, has a nice care sheet with basic information to get you started. You can find it here: http://www.sybilsden.com/caresheet/fox.htm You'll want to research heavily, perhaps for even a couple of years, before you even consider going shopping for supplies for the fox.
Unavailableartist

Postby Unavailableartist » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:21 am

http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewforum.php?f=71
This area talks about state laws, not particular about foxes but exotics general. I think there are a few people from Minnesota on here but I'm not entirely sure. I would gladly offer what I know about my 3 states but :lol: but that wouldn't help

Like the_unstable said about foxes while they do share some traits with dogs, they are very different in their food requirements, eating habits, and over all temperament. THEY AREN'T TRUSTING ANIMALS, like the bunny rabbits they hunt they are prey animals themselves... they are very timid and it take a lot of time to build trust, and very easily loses trust in its owner.

They also play very differently than dogs, though they do wrestle with your dog when given the chance. Their eyes are very like cats in the fact that they react well with movement, so they will pounce anything that's moving and they find interesting.

Foxes can be easily destructive, they love to dig and also they have a large amount energy. http://www.thepetfox.net/ is another website that's good to look at.
There's no happy ending, is there? :(
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:10 pm

As far as I can tell the only way to have foxes in the state is to be a fur farmer viewtopic.php?f=71&t=9102
Sherlocke

Postby Sherlocke » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:27 pm

@Unstable: Ahh, I should've been more specific. I plan to get one from Indiana (Tiny Tracks Exotic Animals); I don't think any from other countries are legal in my state. And ah, thank you for the clarification! I always assumed "domesticated" would be sysnonomys for tamed, but I see I'm not quite right there! Thank you for all of the facts here, it's very helpful. I likely will not be adopting any time soon, I'm just trying now to learn everything I can and prepare in advance for the far future. Thanks again!

@Unavailableartist: Thanks! I do not think that the fox would be around my Vizsla much because she belongs to my parents and I'd have the fox when I'm living on my own; plus she's a rather old dog and I have seen how energetic foxes are- they'd drive her bonkers! Haha, thank you!
Big sister of Scarlett Belle, an 8-year-old Hungarian Vizsla!

Wishlist of pets for the future: A silver or pearl fox, winter Arctic fox, a horse, and ferrets.
CodonExe

Postby CodonExe » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:58 am

Hi, new here from New York, someone here suggests about fur. could you please also guide the shopping point for it?
The way to shop online in USA for bedding is Zuhni for sale and discount.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:17 pm

You mean like what kind of brushes to buy for grooming them?

Return to “FOXES”