PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

New Fox owner here!!!!

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

fox75

New Fox owner here!!!!

Postby fox75 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:14 am

Hello everyone....well what a weekend! I am now the proud of owner of Furbie, a 7 week old red fox that I got from Tiny Tracks, and Feebie, a 4 week old red fox that I got from Jim Redmond! It was a long haul, but so worth it. Both Foxes are doing great and get along. I was very nervous, but everything is great! I do want to say that originally I did not plan to get 2 Foxes, but I got an e-mail from Jim Remond saying he had a Fox available, so since it was on my way to Tiny Tracks, I decided to stop at Jim's and see what he had! I was def nervous, but Jim is wonderful!!!! He welcomed us in his home and we talked and I seen Feebie and fell in love! She is so adorbale and cuddley...I had to get her! Jim did and does an AMAZING job with his Foxes. She is only 4 weeks old and uses the litter box and is eating well....it was a PLEASURE meeting Jim and buying a fox from him. I HIGHLY recommend getting a Fox from Jim.....
the_unstable

Re: New Fox owner here!!!!

Postby the_unstable » Mon May 07, 2012 12:26 pm

Congratulations! You're up for a challenging year ;) Are both foxes red in color? I'd love to see pictures if you have any.
fox75

Postby fox75 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:46 pm

They are both Red.....I was very nervous & intimidated at first, but its going a lot better than I thought it would! Why sure I will post pictures here in a little bit :)
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Mon May 07, 2012 1:15 pm

I'm glad to hear it's going well so far. I don't have a fox myself, but I've heard that letting a fox interact too much with another animal (often dogs or other foxes) can cause them to bond to one another and not you so that might be something to look out for.
fox75

Postby fox75 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:47 pm

Well thank you for the information. When I spoke with Jim he did not think that would be a problem, but I guess time will tell!!!! Thanks :)
trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Mon May 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Wow, congratulations on the new babies! If you get a chance, I'd love to see some pictures :) good luck with everything. I think I remember Pat telling us they regretted allowing one of her foxes to stay with her other fox early because s/he bonded to the other more than her, but if you want more accurate information you should send Pat a PM about it
fox75

Postby fox75 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:34 pm

The male (that I got from Dave @ Tiny Tracks) is an absolute doll baby. He is happy and lovable!!! Now the little girl on the other hand....well she is ORNERY! She hisses and snaps when we try to pick her up.....Im really nervous she is just going to be that way. We handle her more than the other so I am kinda lost :( Also the male isnt really catching on to the litter box thing, but the little girl is doing great!!! Any suggestions on either of my bumps in the road? Agression for the female and litter box for my male??? Thanks everyone :)
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue May 08, 2012 1:46 pm

Animalmom is having trouble with her kit being aggressive as well. Her thread has some great responses and suggestions. You can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=9516
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 08, 2012 3:09 pm

How much space does the male have? If he has a large-ish area to live in he will probably not pick it up at all.

I used a four-foot long plastic tub for Fable. His litterbox took up about a third of it. His bed took up the rest. As a result, he would go use the litterbox more often then his bed. It kind of forced him to use the litterbox. Whenever he would defecate in his bed, I would put the feces in the litterbox.

I also would not clean the litterbox as often. If you leave the feces there for a while it will help them associate them with the litterbox.

Once he starts getting the hang of it you can clean it more often and even spray it with windex. Lots of times they'll want to cover up the smell of the windex by urinating on it. It's also nice because it keeps the smell down. I wouldn't start the windex until he is getting the hang of it; otherwise it might make him feel uneasy and he may not want to use the litterbox since it smells funny.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
animalmom

Postby animalmom » Wed May 09, 2012 3:24 am

I thought if I would leave a poop or two in the box it would encourage mine to go back to that spot too. My girl however will eat it if I leave it too long. :vP Mine was aggressive too but I am getting better @ reading her. I scruff her when she growls and if she starts to gekker and bite I hold her on her back ( in my hand since she is so small). I can now cradle her like a baby when she would not tolerate that before. The food aggression and maybe aggression in general was made worse by me. I free feed my dogs and didn't think twice about leaving a bowl of puppy food for her. I think she was on edge feeling she needed to be aggressive to protect her food. I could be wrong but since I don't leave it out all the time now she is more relaxed. She will investigate more now and actually will play with the toys I gave her. If I think the play biting is getting a bit too serious I push my hand all the way in her mouth so it is uncomfortable for her. after doing that she really does not want my hand in her mouth. I have only had her since the 4th but I feel good about the progress we have made. I will be beyond thrilled when she starts panting and wagging her tail when she sees me. just be patient and consistent and it will work out.
*Animalmom*
fox75

Postby fox75 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:16 am

@ Ash
His cage is not that big....big enough for a small litter box and then an area to sleep. (but he decided to sleep in the litter box, LOL) It is actually a wire cage type thing that I used for my chickens a year ago. It has a tray in the bottom I can pull out and clean. This morning when I went in to feel them, the litter box looked "full"....cause I do have a little girl & she does use it, but it looked as if more than 1 went in it. Other than that he is the BEST acting Fox....he is def getting settled in. he follows me around in the kitch, when I am fixing dinner....sniffs me constantly & licks my toes....I am amazed at how well behaved he is!!!

@animalmom
My little girl is just agressive. It doesnt matter if she is eating, sleeping, or playing in the kitchen. If she does not want picked up she strikes like a snake. But then last night I gave her a bath and she did great. Did not snap at me or anything. I think she is just taking a little more time adjusting then my male. Her litter training is great!! This morning she really gave me a fit. I took her food into her (because I feed them seperately) and while she was eating I was petting her & she was fine. Well when she was finished, she hopped in her litter box and was sitting there just looking at me, so I picked up a play ball and said "here baby girl" and she lunged & hissed at me......like she was going to tear my hand off. I told her BAD GIRL (in a stern voice) and shut the gate and walked out of the room. 10 minutes later when I put my male away she was sitting there in her litter box whinning, so I stroked her back and she did not do anything. I just think it is going to take time. And I am def not going to give up on her :) Thanks everyone for your advise....this board ROCKS!!!!
animalmom

Postby animalmom » Wed May 09, 2012 3:02 pm

I wish mine was doing as good in the litter box as yours. Mine went ballistic this morning when it was time to feed. She ripped the palm of my hand open. She will not let me pet her when food is around. I thought if I gave her pieces out of my hand it would help but even if he just smells the food she turns in to little Miss Hyde and wants to go after me. But when no food is involved she is getting better. One thing I had read somewhere was that as kits males were easier and as adults females got easier. I guess time will tell. One thing I do know is Im not looking forward to October.
*Animalmom*
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Wed May 09, 2012 10:07 pm

I'm sorry to hear things aren't going well with your kits. Not having a fox and not knowing much about their behavior, I have no suggestions. I would contact the breeder for help.

Animalmom - She ripped the palm of your hand open? Was this with her teeth or claws? Yikes, though...wow. I wonder if maybe you could bottle feed as that is supposed to help with bonding then she would associate you with receiving food. It's also healthier for them to have the formula at that age anyway. If you bottle feed...well...wear gloves I guess, if you can even hold her and get her to take the bottle.
animalmom

Postby animalmom » Thu May 10, 2012 12:13 am

Unstable,
Yep, she bit my hand pretty bad but Im getting the hang of it and she is starting to trust me more. I now feed her 3 times a day insted of leaving the bowl available all the time. As far as bottle feeding her, she never took one to begin with. She was taken from the mom @ 21 days and went right to the bowl (formula mixed with food). I think she was a week too long with the mom. I think I agree with Dinka about taking them before the eyes open. I know many breeders have pulled @ 3 weeks for years with good results. I actually wouldn't mind bottle raising one myself maybe next year if I can find a breeder that will allow it. I think that things are looking up I just have to be patient. I know the longer she is here the better it will get.
*Animalmom*
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu May 10, 2012 12:53 am

I think Tiny Tracks pulls after the eyes are open but from what I hear, he's raised a lot of very nice foxes. I am not really sure what I think about pulling before the eyes open being crucial or not. I read an old post on the forum somewhere and the person said that the book "Management of the Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes) in Captivity" says the window for imprinting is about 4 weeks.

It sounds like you will have your work cut out for you, especially since she was not bottle fed. You might be able to get her to take the bottle but it would be difficult since she is aggressive with you.

I wish you good luck. Keep us posted please.

Return to “FOXES”