Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

Anya Comes home

Red, Silver, Marble,Fennec, grey, corsac, Artic Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

zebrafox

Anya Comes home

Postby zebrafox » Tue May 15, 2012 12:57 pm

Hello Everyone :)
I just wanted to say that Friday May 11 Anya flew from Florida to Detroit and is now living with me!
I will tell you a bit about her.

She LOVES the enclosure I built her. I bring her into an indoor room for the night sometimes but she seems happiest outside. Her behaviour is a lot different when shes outside as opposed to inside in a room. I remember when Alynn spoke about behavioral changes when moving Miehara to an enclosure and seeing her become more confident and friendly. Anya is like this. She is never fearful and aggressive, but she is not confident or playful when she is indoors (or at least not when confined to only 1 room). That and sometimes she will scream randomly!

She is pretty well litter trained indoors but she digs and caches in the litter box, getting herself, her toys, and the room pretty dirty!

She walks really well on a harness. She stays on the sidewalks and doesnt pull much on the leash - walks at my side and slightly ahead of me.

She does real well with strangers. She met my 1 yr old cousin on Sunday and was really gentle.

I built her a stake-and-chain that i can attach to her harness that gives her about a 15 ft radius to run around in the yard. Though i only use this when I am in the yard with her. Though i do not leave her unattended even for a second. I have a neckline that I loop from harness to collar in case something happens to the harness (it breaks or she slips it) she will still be attached by the collar, at least for enough time for me to secure her. But it's nice because it lets me sit and play in the open grass with her. She seems to like this!

She is not a morning fox! she wakes up naturally around noon. bother her any earlier and she will whine whine whine at you! I have some great video of this. So cute :B

Again, the happiest i see her is when shes in her enclosure. Im really glad she likes it. She is very affectionate and playful with me when we are in there together, I think because she's in a comfortable environment that is "hers."

I have photos and videos I need to post. I apologize for behind on this. She's a handful so ive been busy with her! and the weather was so fantastic this weekend, I was out working in the yard a lot.

Photos tonight!
Jen Jen

Re: Anya Comes home

Postby Jen Jen » Tue May 15, 2012 1:12 pm

OMG!

I'm so happy for you and Anya. :D
Talys

Postby Talys » Tue May 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Congratulations!!!! It's like watching an amazing story come to a successful...well I guess "end" wouldn't work here...and it is! I'm so happy for you! I'll be creepin' on the photos and everything a bunch tonight for sure! :piggy:
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
BB

Postby BB » Tue May 15, 2012 6:03 pm

Great to hear. Looking forward to the videos :bear:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Congratulations! :) It's about time she's home with her momma!
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Tue May 15, 2012 8:16 pm

Man, I would love to visit her some day soon, provided my parents are cool with it. Perhaps Mieheira could even meet her, Detroit's only about an hour from here. We were just there the other day, in fact.

But congratulations!
RabbleFox

Postby RabbleFox » Wed May 16, 2012 6:57 am

Congratulations! After all your hard work, I am sure bringing her home was quite rewarding. Best of luck to you guys!!!!

P.S. Anya is soooo cute! I want to see more videos of her ;)
~RabbleFox
blacksagephoenix

Anya Comes home

Postby blacksagephoenix » Wed May 16, 2012 9:03 am

I am so happy everything finally came together and she is home now!!! Like said before, it was like watching a movie or reading a book. We all just held on for the next bit of information, any changes for the good, but usually getting news for the bad. But finally!! Seriously look into writing a book about this epic journey. I know all of us here would buy it!
*~*~*~*~* Chell *~*~*~*~*

Mother of one daughter, one dog, two cats, one fennec fox, three hedgehogs, two short tailed opossums, three sugar gliders, three velveteen rabbits, one bearded dragon, one tortoise, twelve ball pythons, and several rats.
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Fri May 18, 2012 5:36 pm

gosh, i dont think ive ever been this busy in my life, what with my new baby and my new house and all! I have really been behind on taking photos, getting the videos ive taken online, and pretty much everything O.o

But here are a few pics from last weekend. I brought her to my family's Mothers day get-together and then work the next day. She did well with all the people and even posed for our family photo!

Ignore my goofy presence in these photos... i am not very photogenic.. urgh

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 18, 2012 6:54 pm

Anya is so beautiful! I just love the last picture of her tongue lolling out, lol. You're really pretty too!
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Fri May 18, 2012 7:21 pm

i dunno, i think i can be at certain, really special angles. but most of the time i think i just look kinda loopy :P

Because im a superdork I made a facebook page for Anya that anyone can follow
http://www.facebook.com/AnyaTheDomesticFox
will put all my Anya media there so that I dont have to spam the forum with it! So if you're interested in following along, go ahead and Like ! :)
bailee

Postby bailee » Sat May 19, 2012 12:46 am

Ohhh, Anya is so cute! And you're so pretty! Congratulations!

Heee, I'm so jealous. I've never even met a fox yet. xD
I do hope I get to meet one before I get my own though. :)
    Sabriel (rabbit - male)
    Silas (rabbit - male)
    Solara (rabbit - female)
    Natasha (cat - female)
    Pepper (cat - female)
    Kiba (dog - male)
    Lady (dog - female)
trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Tue May 22, 2012 4:21 am

Weird, in your first picture I think you look just a tiny bit like me... Haha.

Anyways, congrats on everything, you must be so excited! And thank you so much for being so open about what it's like, it's great to know so much. :)
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Wed May 30, 2012 12:28 pm

I apologize for the lack of recent photos and videos. Ive been working on getting Anya settled in and trained and often she will act differently if im holding a camera or other device. Meaning, she will try to take it from me :)

But a few updates on how she's doing.

I probably mentioned this but she LOVES her enclosure. when we come back from walks or a trip she gets really excited to go back into her enclosure. I imagine after living in a 3'x3' wire cage with no stimulation for almost a year, the soft ground of the spacious enclosure and her hoard of toys must seem pretty ritzy indeed!

She is doing great on walks. She keeps pace with me and follows the sidewalks, rarely straying off into the grass (unless the sidewalk flanks a forest, then she is pretty intent on getting me to go into the woods). I started training her to jog with me. We did this successfully once - but its been too hot here since for me to try again. If she gets hot she gets cranky and lies down in the grass and doesnt want to move (dont blame her).

Id say 75% of passersby express something positive upon seeing her (friendly remark, questions, or just a smile). some people scowl or avoid her though.

She likes going on trips in her carrier. It's a soft carrier - a nylon gym-bag looking thing essentially with mesh sides. I unzip the top just enough for her to poke her head out and look around and she's quite happy to stay that way for hours. She likes watching the world go by out the window of the car.

I also mentioned that she hates the indoors. Well, previously i was keeping her confined to one large room. Last weekend I decided that since i have nothing moved into my new house and its completely empty so she cant get into anything, and because i will be having the carpets steamcleaned in a week or two anyway, that it would be OK to just let her loose in the house.

Its 2300 sq ft not including basement. She was nervous at first but then she began to explore. She loved running up and down the stairs. Having this freedom of movement really changed her behavior indoors. I was able to approach her, she wasnt screaming, and she initiated play. I even got a ball and taught her to fetch (she picked up on it pretty quickly, she's real smart). I dont need to train her with treats - praise only works. She really seems to have that "willingness to please" that i see in some dog breeds. She knows her name and she has perfected "sit" in english. Still working on the transition from some other trick commands to english.

Shes mostly litter box trained also. So I decided to get my contractor to begin work on a passage that goes from her enclosure to the basement window, where we would install a doggie-door and allow her to come and go from interior to exterior. While im at work or not at home the doggie door would be locked and she'd stay outside.

Every day that I spend with her i feel like we bond more. She's extremely playful, smart, curious, comical and even affectionate. I really adore her and I truly get the impression that she is very happy living with me as well. :)

After all the money she cost, I have been asked - do I feel like I made the right choice when I could have gotten a wild fox for a fraction of the cost? My answer is a definitive yes. I recommend a domestic fox.

And im pretty sure that the love for interaction with people that i see in her, which is one of the things that makes her such a fun pet, is something that will flourish even more if these animals are adopted at younger ages.

Mitch and his girlfriend are adopting 2 for themselves out of the kits we are picking up in the fall. He asked me if I want another at that time. But, I think I will wait at least for another year, to give my and Anya's bond time to grow and strengthen. Not to mention there's no way I could afford another right now :P I have also pondered one day adopting a wild kit, to see how it would turn out being raised by Anya and I.
But that is all for future consideration!

Ok well thats my super long post! Thanks for reading and catching up on Anya's story :)
Talys

Postby Talys » Wed May 30, 2012 4:58 pm

Thank you!!!!!! I'm sooo happy for you! I'm completely sold on domestics then and she. The time is right I'm definitely gonna follow suit! is her tornado-like levels the same as her 'wild' counterparts?
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~

Return to “FOXES”