Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Are Indian elephants domesticated?

Pachyderm family

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are Indian elephants domesticated?

Postby Ash » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:20 pm

I read somewhere that Indian elephants are domesticated. It would make sense if they were seeing as they have been used as working animals there for a very long time. Anyone know how domesticated they actually are?

Circus elephants are extremely well-trained and they'll do elephant rides. To have a group of little kids riding on a "wild animal" would be extremely dangerous. But if they're domesticated, it must make a difference and make them a lot safer?
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Are Indian elephants domesticated?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:29 pm

As far as I am aware any breeding efforts are recent and they typically got their elephants by capturing wild babies, so not domesticated in that sense.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Okay. So it sounds like they kind of half to grow up around humans and be trained. I'm surprised they turn out so well. Most wild animals aren't so tame, gentle, and obedient as that. But I suppose I don't really know what their natural instincts are, so they could be more prone to act that way.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:07 pm

When I was in the zoo program in Florida, we learned that Indians elephants (the species, not necessarily ones that are raised in India) are more tame than African elephants. Anytime you see an elephant at a carnival or festival being used to give rides to people or in a circus,etc. it's almost definitely an Indian elephant and not an African elephant. I'm not sure why though. I guess they just have a naturally calmer temperment than their African relatives. The African elephants can be extremely dangerous. African elephants injure and in some cases even kill more zoo keepers than any other animal.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:10 pm

There used to be a topic on another forum on elephants from a keepers perspective who worked with them but it looks like it's gone. They work well with the keepers they know. It's a heard mentality thing, I think. New keepers take a lot of time for them to get to know and maybe except.

CR is also right about the one species being used more due to temperament. Maybe it's that ungle life is easier so they don't need to be as uptight.

Return to “ELEPHANTS-RHINOS-HIPPOS”