Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Hippos

Pachyderm family

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

prk22

Hippos

Postby prk22 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:53 pm

Are hippos actually sold independently? I just though they were for the zoos and circuses ;-)
dinnka
Fox Breeder
Fox Breeder

Postby dinnka » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:54 pm

there was a pair of ptgmy hippos for sale in tx a few yrs ago... that is the only time i have seen them
abbott75

Postby abbott75 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:47 am

Apparently, they are sold from game parks, average about $4000USD

http://www.africasafari.co.za/chat/modu ... topic&t=47
prk22

Postby prk22 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:06 am

WOW- that is interesting. Maybe one day when I have the space...

...and permits :roll:
~Pätrick
abbott75

Postby abbott75 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:15 am

They shouldn't be too hard to get with an exhibitors permit... then of course you would have to exhibit them though... :)

Adam
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:42 pm

the web site given is a .za which is basicly an african web adress. I have seen some of these places on the web. There animals are wildcaught, and for a young one... they go take them from there moms pretty much by any means necessary (i.e. killing, maiming, harming the mother) Some of the "easier" animals they farm (bacily wild life millers) and then sell top dollar to who ever has the money. Not to mention how much it costs to have one shipped here, and the money for permits, customs, time, pain, effort, to get it here.... and there is the possibility it will die from stress during the shipment.
abbott75

Postby abbott75 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:34 pm

sueBear wrote:the web site given is a .za which is basicly an african web adress. I have seen some of these places on the web. There animals are wildcaught, and for a young one... they go take them from there moms pretty much by any means necessary (i.e. killing, maiming, harming the mother) Some of the "easier" animals they farm (bacily wild life millers) and then sell top dollar to who ever has the money. Not to mention how much it costs to have one shipped here, and the money for permits, customs, time, pain, effort, to get it here.... and there is the possibility it will die from stress during the shipment.

Yeah I know all that, and how it is really not a good idea ect... I was just pointing out that it is possible.

Adam
prk22

Postby prk22 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:34 am

sueBear- do you know if sites like this are selling the ones they capture in such conditions...or are orders placed and then animals are taken to fill orders?

I am curious on this topic...
~Pätrick
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:31 pm

In my understanding (i heard this several years ago from an import/export friend who worked mainly with african animals) that most, if not all animals are wild caught, or farmed. Farned animals are the ones more inclined to breed..... and its basicly like a wildlife mill. Not all places are like this.... but ALOT are

http://www.riverzoofarm.com/zoo.htm Here is a qoute from one site....

• Our own capturing expeditions
• From our own Breeding projects
• Using our contacts Africa and world wide
• Organising special capturing expeditions on request together with the client or his colleagues in Africa, River Zoo farm has years of experience in capturing expeditions.
prk22

Postby prk22 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:41 am

Thank you, I learned something from this posting...I will keep this in mind for the future
~Pätrick
snakeman

Postby snakeman » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:33 pm

I think under the USDA they would be considered a marine mammal and would need a huge water source.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:01 am

no Sac zoo just had a small cement pool for theirs just enough to dip under in and a small rectangle, so only just enough but you should have a huge water area for them.
Livingston Exotics

Postby Livingston Exotics » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:37 am

One of our friends who has a park in Arkansas has an adult Hippo Bull. There are no more regulations or requirements on them than any thing else they raise.
snakeman

Postby snakeman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:51 am

the usda and animal industry has a book giving regulations for containment sizes and gals of water for marine mammals. it's worth checking into before getting nailed.

Return to “ELEPHANTS-RHINOS-HIPPOS”