PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Animal you are most terrified of

games, quizzes, lists(wish lists, favorites lists, etc) and other fun things

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Splashstorm

Animal you are most terrified of

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:13 pm

For me it has to be centipedes. Which is also why I want one as a pet to get over my fear. :mrgreen:
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Juska

Re: Animal you are most terrified of

Postby Juska » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:30 pm

More of a seething hatred rather than terror or fear: mosquitoes, bed bugs, and any other parasite that feeds on people and other animals. Hate 'em. I wish they could be completely wiped off the face of the Earth. They serve no purpose and have no impact on the world except to make people sick and miserable. They don't even contribute to population control by killing things they bite and infect (nowadays, in countries where any sort of medicine or hospital is available). Just make them horribly sick for a while, or drive them insane because they won't go away.

At least other venomous and poisonous creatures have those things for a viable reason (defense, killing prey). Parasites just irk me. No place in the world and no reason to exist.

And yes I realize the cruel irony that some people consider human beings to be "parasites". But I'm talking about literal, blood-sucking, disease-ridden parasites.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:47 pm

I really don't like daddy-long-legs. They're not spiders. I'm not scared of spiders (I even have been able to hold my dad's tarantula and enjoy it) but daddy-long-legs are another story. I don't like crane flies either, or millipedes. The one thing these three fellows have in common: long, skinny legs. Bleh! Can't stand things like that!

But as for mammals that I feel nervous about... for some reason, raccoons. I just imagine them biting really hard. The one where I interned was nice until she got hissy and possessive over my pants. I'm sure they're great and nice, but for some reason the thought of them just makes me nervous. It's an irrational "fear" though, since the thought of any other animal doesn't scare me.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:05 pm

I like daddy-long-legs! If you pick one up and it stands still, you can ask it to "point to a cow", and they'll lift up one of their legs and point :lol: My mom taught me that one. I guess that's something someone thought up to get their children to not fear them. I try to save them if they're in a place where they could get squished. Same thing with caterpillars and earthworms (when it rains they like to crawl out on pavement, which is never a good idea for an animal).
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:53 pm

Sharks, giant great white ones with those huge ugly mouths. Just imagine seeing one of those under you.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:18 pm

Akita dogs can make me nervous. Not an animal but hot air balloons really creep me out like no other, being close to one that is. Also those really big windmills. Weird.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:15 am

I don't like spiders or crabs. I wouldn't touch my friend's hermit crab and I kept my feet off the floor when she got them out and let them run around her house.
As for mammals, I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to get close to certain larger big cats. Especially after working with lions, I love them, but I'm not gonna pet them. Cheetahs, cougars and the like, I'd happily (and still do) love on them. There's even a video of Squeekers (sic) purring and getting scritches. Through the fence. :lol:
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:08 pm

Spiders and anything similar to them (fine with most crabs, though).

Sunfishes - or as we call them in Sweden, "Lumpfish". :shock: Hideous animals.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Cockroaches. I can understand being nervous or scared of obviously dangerous animals like tigers or potentially dangerous animals like raccoons. Cockroaches are literally harmless, but...OH GOD THEY ARE THE FOULEST MOST AWFUL CREATURES! D:>

Cockroaches literally make my skin crawl. If one gets on me, i have to take a shower after. If i can't, it will bug(hehe...puns) me until I do. Just thinking about it is making my soul feel slimy. :/
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:51 pm

I feel the same about many things you guys mentioned. For irrational fear...worms (particularly parasitic worms), roaches. If one touched me, even if I washed that part of my body 1,000 times, I'd still think about it for a while and feel gross and wouldn't want that part of my body to touch any other part of my body.

For more rational, sharks really creep me out like...hardcore (even if I am swimming in World of Warcraft and I see one, it freaks me out...) and snakes somewhat. If I see a snake in the wild, I would be a bit freaked out. Seeing them in captivity doesn't bother me. I just don't want them to touch me, though seeing one generally won't make me scream.

But as for mammals that I feel nervous about... for some reason, raccoons. I just imagine them biting really hard. The one where I interned was nice until she got hissy and possessive over my pants. I'm sure they're great and nice, but for some reason the thought of them just makes me nervous. It's an irrational "fear" though, since the thought of any other animal doesn't scare me.

Ash - This was of course a bit surprising to me, especially since I remember you talking about the raccoons you interned with. They can be unpredictable, like anything. Sometimes mine even make me nervous when they both start climbing me at the same time. Alex likes to bite me in the back of the head so when he's climbing me from behind, I do get nervous. Certain things seem to make mine "lose control" and just jump around all over, shaking their head back and forth rapidly. Water and certain sounds (like a baby rattle that I gave them) do this to Stinky.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Yeah, it's kind of hard to explain. The ones where I interned were nice, but they still made me nervous. I then had a scary experience (okay, okay, to me it was a bit scarey) where I found two baby raccoons in the middle of the interstate a couple months ago. I have no idea how they got there because there were three-foot walls on the sides of the interstate, and they were too small to climb over. I pulled over and went to go get them so I could put them over the wall where they probably came from.

Scariest thing ever! I picked one up and it was screaming at the top of its lungs. It tried to twist around and bite me. It never stopped struggling, and I was so worried it was going to bite me and I'd have to get a rabies shot. I kid you not, it sounded horrendous! Maybe you heard Alex make this sound (I know he was harder when he was a baby than Stinky).

At any rate, I got this racoons over the wall. Its sibling got hit by a car. I was glad that I saved it, but my goodness it was terrifying!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:43 am

Well that is pretty heroic of you considering you're uncomfortable with them. Thank you for saving them! Do you know about how old they were? Neither of mine had teeth at all for a long time. Stinky is approaching his first year and his teeth still seem small, at least compared to Alex's (though Alex is a much bigger animal all together). I know at six weeks, they don't have teeth.

Alex was pulled at six weeks and when the breeder brought him out, he was wearing gloves and Alex was twisting around in his hands, snarling loudly. Not screaming, though. Never heard either of them scream. They are pretty rowdy buggers but they tame down fairly well compared to some other species. A fox pulled at six weeks would probably be pretty nasty (and have teeth).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:18 pm

I don't know how old they were, but they were pretty tiny. I didn't know that it takes a while for their teeth to grow in. They were maybe about the size of a small puppy, like a shih-tzu puppy. I had Fable's cage in the back of my van, so I put one of them in there while I went to get the other one. It took me about thirty minutes to coax it out of the cage.
Goob

Postby Goob » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:01 am

GERMAN SHEPHERDS

My cheek was torn off so bad you could clearly see my teeth. And this was my grandparents' GSD! The painful part was the recovery.
42 stitches and $98,000 later, you can only see a slightly darkened streak below my right eye.

Our neighbor on Kelleys Island has a GSD. They came over one day to ask if they could borrow a wrench... and brought their dog with them. :help:
"Whether you think you can do it, or think you can't, you are right." --Herald Ford
LEGO is life.
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:19 am

H. Maculata lives high in the trees. I read a story about a group of collectors who
had ventured into the jungle for the purpose of gathering them for a breeding program.
One of the guys was up a tree and got surprised by her, she tagged him once, twice,
then a third time before leaping off his body and floating, so slowly and gently down,
right onto the FACE of another guy.

I would have peed my pants, then died.

P.S - Frigging spider crabs are revolting too. :(

Return to “Games and fun things”