please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Strangest or Silliest Animal Misnames or Typos You've Seen

games, quizzes, lists(wish lists, favorites lists, etc) and other fun things

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

minervasden

Strangest or Silliest Animal Misnames or Typos You've Seen

Postby minervasden » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:36 pm

Maybe it was on the cage card at a pet store or swap. Maybe it's what your neighbor thinks his new pet is called or you saw it in a Craigslist ad. Share the best you have seen or ones that just drive you crazy.

I think all pet stores selling puppies have had Sh*t Zoos instead of Shih Tzu at some point.

Datsun and chiwawa instead of Dachshund and Chihuahua. See this everytime I look on Craig's List. Come on people, really.

Hampster. THERE IS NO 'P' PEOPLE! I get shivers when people say this one aloud.

Purple Matlock Python (Macklot's Python)

O'Keat's CornSnake (Okeetee cornsnake)-this is what happens when a newly hired inexperienced kid is verbally instructed to write Okeetee on a cage.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
CitricPrincess

Re: Strangest or Silliest Animal Misnames or Typos You've Seen

Postby CitricPrincess » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:27 am

I can't say I've seen many typos or misnames at petstores or craigslist or anything, save a few common mixups of fish species (siamese algae eater labeled as the similar but different siamese flying fox, for example) and it always annoys me how petco or other petstores will give their own names to betta traits that are not the ones you'd find talking to most breeders or anything (Really sorry 'Giant' wasn't creative enough for you guys?), or mislabeling what they have as a more expensive variation.

What often amuses/infuriates me though is listening to parents 'educate' their children at public zoos, aquariums, and museums. I don't have many such mistakes in memory, besides going through dinosaurs at the museum- every ceratops is a triceratops, every large therapod is a t-rex, most the smaller ones are baby t-rexes. At zoos everyone mixes up all the animals. African wild dogs are wolves, ocelots are baby cheetahs, hyenas are dogs, all big snakes are anacondas. Really people? There are information signs right. there. Big and bold.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Most of these are incorrect pronunciation but also some myths I hear from people all the time.

German Shepard
Dash-hound
Chi-wee-wee/chi-wow-wow
Dobermann Pincher
Olde English Bulldogge
Lasso Appso
Akida/Sheeba Eye-new
Timber Wuff/Woof
Ay-nals (anoles)
"French" Poodle
Hampster
Gurr-bull (gerbil)
Blue and red-nosed Pitbull
Rare wolf color (agouti on any dog)
Dalmation
AKK mistaken for "Pomsky" or "mini Husky"
The idea that there is such a thing as a real "miniature" Husky
Any dog with a partially/black tongue or gums is "part Chow-Chow"
Any dog with tan markings is "part Rottie"
Any dog with a saddle is "part German Shepard"
Any dog with huge ears and a fluffy tail is "part wolf"
Every snake is a Garder/Gardner snake yet it needs its head chopped off
Every dog from Eastern Europe is a Tibetan Mastiff and they're all vicious fighting dogs that are worth $50,000 each
Calicoes are ALWAYS female, they can NEVER be male
Rotties/German Shephards/Pittbulls/any other breed people hate because it's cool has a brain that keeps growing inside their skull, and it gets too big for their skull and it makes them go crazy
Every cobra is a spitting cobra
Laughing hyena
Alaskan Mally-mute
Kee-shond
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:11 pm

Gopher snakes being called rattlesnakes. "Oh no, it's poisonous!" lol

A repairman saw Fable in his enclosure and asked me if I had a hyena, heehee. I told him, "Well, that's the plan." And he thought I was joking. ;P

Haha. Customers who come into my workplace to see our caiman almost always say, "Now, what kind of lizard is this?"

OH, and the one I get the most... It's crazy how many people mistake any larger lizard for a Komodo dragon! Everything from our water monitor (understable) to our tegu (WHAT???).
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
hecate
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hecate » Sun May 01, 2016 11:09 am

I had completely forgotten about this, but people at pet supply stores have thought my seven-pound fuzzball was a hyena or an African wild dog:

magnum.jpg

Then there was the little kid who saw my Scottish Deerhound and said, "Look, Mommy, a dragon!"
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Mon May 02, 2016 6:19 pm

articulated python instead of reticulated python
bermese python or berm for burmese python/burm
boa constructor for boa constrictor
breaded dragon for bearded dragon
today i saw a rainforest boa instead of rainbow boa
box monitor for bosc monitor
bald python for ball python
ratsnakes get called rattlesnakes all the time
anything white always gets called albino

i'll add more as i think of them
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon May 02, 2016 7:06 pm

"Bald python." LOL. You see that on craigslist for every other ball python ad. :P

A reticulated python is quite articulated though. :)

Thought of another one! "Captive bread." Always funny to see that one. I used to tell people it was cruel to keep bread in captivity and they needed to let it go, heehee.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue May 03, 2016 10:45 am

"Box" monitor is one I haven't seen. Of course 'Bosc' monitor isn't used much here.
CitricPrincess

Postby CitricPrincess » Tue May 03, 2016 11:11 pm

hecate wrote:I had completely forgotten about this, but people at pet supply stores have thought my seven-pound fuzzball was a hyena or an African wild dog:

Then there was the little kid who saw my Scottish Deerhound and said, "Look, Mommy, a dragon!"

I am very very used to people mistaking my pets for things more exotic. My dog always gets questions "Is that a __", some understandable, some... not so much. My personal favorite was "Is that one of them dog-fox hybrids?" But I've gotten people asking if he was a fox, wolf, coyote, part owl (in defense, this one was little kids), and that's beside all of the various breed guesses (basenji, mini-husky, puppy husky, puppy akita, corgi, someone once asked if he was a chow-chow...)

My cat, Rosswelle, gets such comments , too. I'll tell people his breed, Japanese Bobtail, and they instantly hear 'bob' and assume I'm saying I have a bobcat. Normally this has prompted them to start telling a story of that wild bobcat that lived in the yard of some relative or something. I'll nicely correct them, and often even show them the picture, but more often or not they'll stare at this picture of this cat and be all "So... this is some kind of wild cat?"
In their defense, his ancestors were street cats? So.. that's kinda wild?

I've come to realize that while most people know a few different dog breeds and tend to ask about breeds and understand that there is a breed even if they don't recognize it, but for cats, people don't seem to realize there's as many different breeds as there are. There often seems to be the following 'types of cats' that people recognise:
Siamese and Persian are the true cat breeds. I've seen them grouped together as 'exotic cats' or 'fancy cats' though. Almost any long furred cat often qualifies as a 'Persian cat'
Black cat
short-hair cat
long-hair cat
Calico (often this term is used to refer to tortoiseshells)
Tabby cat
ally cat
tom cat (term often used to mean feral cat/unfriendly cat. But it is recognised that tom cats are always male. So... only females are calico and only males are feral. Legit)
I've also known some people who know of 'brown cats' and 'yellow cats'. And a rare few know of a hairless cat, though few know them as sphinx. They are often called something about how 'ugly' or 'creepy' or 'rat-like' they are. And a few people know tailless, but they only know such as the Manx cat and all tailless cats are Manxes, whether they know that actual breed name or not.

I mean, different 'breeds' are known in different places, but those seem to be the categories I find the most people 'knowing'.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Wed May 04, 2016 8:19 am

One of the best I've seen was in Swedish.
The Senegal parrot is called "morhuvad" parrot (something-headed parrot). Someone thought it was "motorhuvad" = motor-headed or engine-headed.

And not really a misunderstanding, but some really embarassing geography knowledge when I years ago saw an "Australian amazon parrot" for sale. (It was indeed an amazon - but I didn't know the Amazon jungle was in Australia?)

Any dog with tan markings is "part Rottie"

This. My very purebred Ca de Bou (understandable that no one knows what breed he is, they are in almost no breed book and there are only about 50 in the country) is ALWAYS a "rottie-mix". Except a kid and an old lady (separate occasions) who thought he was a pure Rottweiler, and two older people (separate occasions) that thought he was a boxer?

If I were you, I would henceforth proudly proclaim that I have a Scottish dragondog. :mrgreen:

CitricPrincess - That reminds me of this: http://themiddleflipper.blogspot.se/201 ... a.html?m=1
Baby orcas everywhere!

Very funny thread.

And Hecate, that must be the coolest little dog I've ever seen. :O
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun May 29, 2016 7:23 pm

"Baby flat shell snapper turtle"- local native softshell, now available on Craigslist.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:58 pm

-Someone called a Maned Wolf at the zoo a fox. I've also seen people who call them Red Wolves or just simply "Wolves" and even some people that howl at them. Maned Wolves aren't closely related to foxes or wolves, don't howl, and are a completely different species from Red Wolves, which are true wolves.

-People mistaking Siberian Husky and Alaskan Malamutes for wolves or wolfdogs.

-People mistaking Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes for each other. I.e., thinking a Malamute is a Husky or vice versa.

-People thinking that any German Shepherd that isn't the standard black and tan (i.e. white German Shepherd, black German Shepherd, Sable German Shepherd, Reverse-marked German Shepherds (not a color, but a marking that removes the distinct facial features of a GSD,etc.) are wolves or wolfdogs.

-People thinking that Belgian Malinois are German Shepherds.

-People that mistake coyotes for wolves and vice versa.

-People who are convinced that some even somewhat foxy-looking domestic breed of dog is either an actual fox or is part fox (when its not even possible for dogs and foxes to biologicallly breed together). (Examples would be Shiba Inus, Finnish Spitz, Pomeranians, etc.)

-People who mistake Bearded Collies for Old English Sheepdogs.

-People thinking hyenas are part of the dog family when they aren't.

-People thinking hyenas are of the cat family when they aren't.

-People thinking the extinct thylacine was actually a tiger since its common name was Tasmanian Tiger.

-People thinking the Tasmanian Tiger was related to dogs/wolves because it looked like a wolf and one common name that was sometimes used for it was Tasmanian Wolf.

-People thinking the Aardwolf is an actual wolf when its in the hyena family.

-People thinking that foxes (but most especially red foxes) are in the cat family when they are in the dog family.

-People that are convinced that Chihuahuas are part fennec fox or are fennec foxes.

-People who mistake fennec foxes for Chihaushuas.

-People who mistake German Shepherd or other Shepherd dogs or mixes for coyotes.

-People who mistake any spitz breed or spitz breed mix or shepherd breed of shepherd breed mix for a wolf.

-People who mistake New Guinea Singing Dog for Dingoes.

-People who think any dingo-looking (so, basically any medium yellow or tan spitz, primitive, or pariah type) dog is actually a dingo.

-People who mistake coyotes for German Shepherds.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:14 pm

I see people calling rats mice and vice versa at the pet store all the time.

Some people also mix up Labrador retrievers and golden retrievers

Some people don't even know what a ferret is. :lol:
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:33 pm

Peacefulward wrote:Some people don't even know what a ferret is. :lol:

Saw that with chinchillas all the time when I worked in pet stores. People not knowing what ferrets were is new to me.
Oh, I once heard a customer ask an employee where chinchillas come from. The reply was 'Umm, the mountains of Texas'.
And we wonder why there are so many uneducated and idiotic pet owners out there :roll:

Return to “Games and fun things”