PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Your Phobias?

games, quizzes, lists(wish lists, favorites lists, etc) and other fun things

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lasergrl

Re: Your Phobias?

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:03 am

I don't think its a phobia but just this year I realized that seeing a hot air balloons fairly close up or on the ground really creeps me out. I have no idea why but they make me feel kinda gross.
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:23 am

To be simple, I have a phobia of dying.
Not necessarily exactly dying, because everyone dies, and it'll happen to me somehow and that's fine; but the concept of life and death...used to throw me into panic attacks and I almost killed myself because of it. :roll: I try not to think of it now, and I've honestly become really good at putting it past me, but I always have that alluring feeling following me...knowing that in a sense, every single thing I do in my life is precisely trivial, everything that's important to me, means nothing, so in a sense I feel Why bother? I love life, but I...just don't like some of the fundamental aspects of it sometimes. Hah.

I also have a fear of deep underwater spaces. I figured I wouldn't be a person with irrational fears, but I for some reason have a problem with water in the first place, and somehow, deep underwater (where every single part of you is vulnerable (plus I'm not a good swimmer)) just freaks me the heck out. Lol. I've tried to train myself to oppose it - because even posters/pictures/setups in museums/underwater sections at zoos even freak me out...I have one encyclopedia of animals I think, and right at the center (in the binding spacing where it'll naturally flip to when left unattended), is a great white shark with it's mouth open, lunging at the camera under water. . .scares me badly every time. So I tried to keep looking at it... Don't know how I am now, but I have a feeling I won't be having any deep-sea creatures in my zoo. :P
(Sorry for the party long explanation of each, it's just nice being able to explain it somewhat because something called for it. haha.)

Edit: I could also go for fear of amnesia/brain damage. I don't want to lose my mind...
And, I guess advanced robots would freak me out too...I don't like there being a fine line between living and not. . .some of my friends may be putting their brains in computers...I may have suggested it, but it still scares me. :/ Hah.
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:33 am

FoxAdorer817 wrote:To be simple, I have a phobia of dying.
Not necessarily exactly dying, because everyone dies, and it'll happen to me somehow and that's fine; but the concept of life and death...used to throw me into panic attacks and I almost killed myself because of it. :roll: I try not to think of it now, and I've honestly become really good at putting it past me, but I always have that alluring feeling following me...knowing that in a sense, every single thing I do in my life is precisely trivial, everything that's important to me, means nothing, so in a sense I feel Why bother? I love life, but I...just don't like some of the fundamental aspects of it sometimes. Hah.

I know exactly how you feel... I get extremely nervous and anxious when I think too hard about everything. It really is overwhelming. I have a a vivd memory of being in third or fourth grade and asking my mom all these questions about life... You know, those big ones that make people nervous and confused. And she didn't and couldn't answer me, just told me not to think of it or I'd lose my mind... Or something like that. Maybe by "vivid memory" I meant "vague memory" xD
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:49 am

Whatsername wrote:I know exactly how you feel... I get extremely nervous and anxious when I think too hard about everything. It really is overwhelming. I have a a vivd memory of being in third or fourth grade and asking my mom all these questions about life... You know, those big ones that make people nervous and confused. And she didn't and couldn't answer me, just told me not to think of it or I'd lose my mind... Or something like that. Maybe by "vivid memory" I meant "vague memory" xD

Hah, yeah. I kind of had the same thing - I have vividly vague (I guess it's vivid because it's something I remember, when I usually didn't remember anything from then (which I find also sad that I've already started to forget my childhood almost completely), but it's still vague...) memories of asking my brother one time about it (was never able to talk to my mom, but knew he 'got' it in the same way I did), it was really late at night when I was young...I came to him crying, and he said the best thing to do was not to worry about it, and that we're not supposed to know. . .I think he gave better advice than I remember, but it made me not feel much better, but then I think it did a lot later on. (I...was about to go in a rant, but that's not what this thread is about, so I apologize. Hah.)

I... have a fear of killer tomatoes. O.o icon_biggin.gif
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
cheshire fox

Postby cheshire fox » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:51 am

when the cat died... my sister is a catholic raised bio-chemist.. soo
it's hard for her to a) think some people aren't just plainly going to hell and b) if there is anything spiritual atall even.. i had to explain to her.. human knowledge is limited and the lack of something there doesn't Disprove the things where faith is essential. i also had to philosophically ask "why did you care about 'snowball' to begin with.. or at all anyway.. i Know, it sounds rude.. but, i finished explaining..
you care because it means Something.. life Does matter

Foxyjadda

Postby Foxyjadda » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:02 pm

I have a fear of people looking at me so I think they are talking about me :D
My pets
4 Turtles- Toyota, Root Beer, Calester and Hummer (they are all red eared sliders)
1 Cat- Egypt (some mixed breed)
1 Dog- Precious (Pekingese/Tibetan spaniel mix)
2 Mice-Brazil and California (Fancy mouse)
More to come hopefully!
blacksagephoenix

Postby blacksagephoenix » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:36 pm

vln_girl wrote:I don't like caterpillars....

OMG! Yay! Another person that is freaked out by caterpillars! Not to take joy on your fears, but people make fun of me for it, so its good to know I'm not alone.

I am also terrified of earthworms, maggots, centipedes, and millipedes. Pretty much anything without legs and moves weird (other than snake/legless lizards) or things with an excess of legs. I am freaked out by mealworms, too, but I have been able to pull myself together when feeding them to my critters. If I am not expecting them, I'm done for, lol. Oh, and silkworms and any other feeder worms.

But I like inch worms.

And speaking of "moving-weird", I lose it when I see people crawling weird in scary movies. Like in The Legion, when the ice cream man does this speedy spider crawl thing, I looked up from my laptop to the tv when it was on a commercial, not realizing what it was at first, and the first thing I saw was the guy crawling like that. Out of pure reflex, I threw my laptop! It was horrible! lol
*~*~*~*~* Chell *~*~*~*~*

Mother of one daughter, one dog, two cats, one fennec fox, three hedgehogs, two short tailed opossums, three sugar gliders, three velveteen rabbits, one bearded dragon, one tortoise, twelve ball pythons, and several rats.
blacksagephoenix

Postby blacksagephoenix » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:51 pm

FoxAdorer817 wrote:
Whatsername wrote:I know exactly how you feel... I get extremely nervous and anxious when I think too hard about everything. It really is overwhelming. I have a a vivd memory of being in third or fourth grade and asking my mom all these questions about life... You know, those big ones that make people nervous and confused. And she didn't and couldn't answer me, just told me not to think of it or I'd lose my mind... Or something like that. Maybe by "vivid memory" I meant "vague memory" xD

Hah, yeah. I kind of had the same thing - I have vividly vague (I guess it's vivid because it's something I remember, when I usually didn't remember anything from then (which I find also sad that I've already started to forget my childhood almost completely), but it's still vague...) memories of asking my brother one time about it (was never able to talk to my mom, but knew he 'got' it in the same way I did), it was really late at night when I was young...I came to him crying, and he said the best thing to do was not to worry about it, and that we're not supposed to know. . .I think he gave better advice than I remember, but it made me not feel much better, but then I think it did a lot later on.

Ok, so to keep myself from freaking out, or causing either of you to freak out, let's just say, I had the same talk with my sister when I was 7 or 8. (I started to explain, then got nervous about a possible panic attack). The talk didn't help, kinda made it worse. But its nothing I would ever be able to overcome without the unanswerable questions answered. I just have to ignore it, and have been pretty good, but I also freak out over the "end of the world" rumors. Like the one last year, I survived without a severe panic attack, but I went to my doctor for help, especially with 2012 coming up. icon_confused.gif
*~*~*~*~* Chell *~*~*~*~*

Mother of one daughter, one dog, two cats, one fennec fox, three hedgehogs, two short tailed opossums, three sugar gliders, three velveteen rabbits, one bearded dragon, one tortoise, twelve ball pythons, and several rats.
amyers

Postby amyers » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:53 pm

I know I said balloons a while back, but I ought to add the rest.

Heights as I have terrible vertigo when I get more than a few feet off the ground.

I am a true chlosterphobic. I would get panc attacks in crowds, and when I can't get out of a place. I don't so much anymore because of the meds lol.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Bill G

Postby Bill G » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:49 pm

Phobia: getting on and off a ladder from a higher object(I.E. roof to ladder,ladder to roof, scaffold plank to ladder)
William Gurtner

Life in progress
cheshire fox

Postby cheshire fox » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:19 am

recently, i've had a fear of someone i care about becoming hurt or lost.

also, cave movies. the characters always get stuck somehow and must find their way out 'through the cave.' would that not creep you out?

if i had an actual phobia i guess it would just be fear of things going horribly wrong.

amyers

Postby amyers » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:23 am

Off my meds a while back, I started noticing something slightly resembling agorophobia. I was getting weird about leaving the house because I was afraid it would catch on fire.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:23 pm

I have a major phobia of wasps, bees, hornets; anything that flies and stings, really. It's so bad that if a fly or mosquito comes really close to my ear then I will freak out because next to your ear, it makes the same buzzing sound as a bee or wasp.

How I react exactly depends on what I think I can do without getting stung. If I think I can without provoking an attack, I'll speedwalk away. If it follows me then, which it often does, I'll just speedwalk in circles and probably cry until it goes away. If I'm near water and the speedwalking away doesn't work, I'll run into the water and submerge myself because I know it won't go into the water.

If I felt the bee/wasp was too close and any sudden movements might provoke it to sting me, I would completely freeze and not move a muscle or even breathe until it went away. Although it's never lasted this long, I have no doubt that I would knock myself out. Normally your body wouldn't let you do that but when adrenaline is pumping through you, your mind can sometimes overwhelm your body.

There are other things that make me very uncomfortable and cause me stress when I experience but I don't consider them phobias because I can control my reaction enough to get through the situation, which I don't think is possible with phobias.

Needles; I have been known to hyperventilate if I see the needle however, recently I got bloodwork done and just turned my head in the opposite direction and was fine.

Those moving rotating doors; If I have to go through them, I jump in and out of them as quickly but carefully as I can.

Being surrounded on at least three sides by tall buildings; I just do my best to look down and walk quickly to my destination.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:39 pm

Well I did have a panic attack once. I went to get a couple moles removed at a clinic and the Dr was acting real flaky. Like he didn't know where his stuff was and I think he mostly dealt with Spanish speakers. Well, he asked me if I had any reactions to anesthetic and such right after he injected me.

Well my mind went wild as I was there waiting for it to take hold and him to come back and remove the mole and the numbness spread every where and got dizzy. Then once over had to wait a bit before I could get up and move then almost passed out going down to hallway and had to sit in the waiting room a bit before I could get up again.

I haven't had any problems with similar things like the dentist. So I guess I just have a phobia of flaky Drs.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:05 pm

I passed out at the dentist once :P But it was because of that awful feeling when they numb your tongue, as if you might swallow it and suffocate.

Return to “Games and fun things”