I'm going to divide my wishlist for mammals and birds. For now I'll just post the mammals, since that's mostly what people are posting here.
Also, I'm just posting animals I think I have even a prayer of getting someday. So no bilby, solenodon, or red panda, even though I totally want those guys too.
1. Virginia opossum (Didelphis virginiana
, accept no substitutes)
2. Rock hyrax (other hyraxes would acceptable but less ideal)
3. Ringtail, raccoon, or cacomistle (Ideally a raccoon would be red or blonde)
4. Nine-banded armadillo (other armadillos are OK, but I really desire Dasypus novemcinctus
5. Dwarf mongoose, banded mongoose, meerkat, or yellow mongoose (in that order)
6. Prairie dog (this is the only animal on my list I'm likely to get in the near future)
7. Quoll (most likely from New Guinea)
8. Monito del monte (Dromiciops gliroides
9. Malayan colugo (Galeopterus variegatus
Springhare (Pedestes spp.
Scaly-tailed flying squirrel (Anomalurus spp.
Scaly-tailed flying mouse (Idiurus spp.
Cameroon scaly-tail (Zenkerella insignis
11. Malagasy "mongooses":
Ring-tailed mongoose (Galidia elegans
Broad-striped mongoose (Galidictis fasciata
Narrow-striped mongoose (Mungotictis decemlineata
12. Pika (Ochonta spp.
13. Lesser bushbaby (Galago spp.
14. Bandicoot (I would most like an eastern barred bandicoot and would rather have a bilby, but those are both pipe dreams. A New Guinean bandicoot like this is most likely.)
15. Pocket gopher and kangaroo rat
Pocket gopher (Geomyidae)
Kangaroo rat (Dipodomyinae)
16. Tree shrew (Scandentia)
17. Moonrat/Gymnure (Galericinae)
18. Bettong (Bettongia sp.
I'd also really like a bat (or a group of them) but since the information on bats as pets is sparse and there's so many species with such difficult care requirements, they're not placed on my list. (Placement is partially influenced by an animal's care requirements or expected care requirements).