Pics of Pets on Your Wishlist

games, quizzes, lists(wish lists, favorites lists, etc) and other fun things

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pics of Pets on Your Wishlist

Postby Ash » Fri May 29, 2015 3:49 pm

That's why I'm not super into pocket pets--I want animals that (like you said) you can feel if they're on your chest or something.

Bats are notorious as a rabies vector species--even more so than foxes. But foxes are at least furbearers, so they get exempted from the laws a lot of times. But it's harder to find a place where it's legal to actually own a bat because there's "no reason" to own them.

He was a member on this board named Nick, and I know he was selling bats and bat groups for a while. He was never really active, but in the exotic animal community he's really well-known. He's an educator/importer/breeder in New York. I think he made a post in the little critters section because he was really trying to get a hold of some Prevost squirrels. I think many of the Prevost squirrels in the US come from his stock since I know he was searching for so long. And then he bred them, and kept having them for sale. They're pretty cool animals too. I really wanted a pair at one point.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Fri May 29, 2015 6:34 pm

Amusingly, in Texas, only three groups of animals are regulated by state law: "dangerous animals," furbearers, and armadillos.

Since bats aren't armadillos and aren't listed as furbearers or dangerous animals, they're legal to keep with no restrictions.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 29, 2015 8:16 pm

Nice! :icon-wink:
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Sat May 30, 2015 10:46 am

Except that Texas legislators managed to write their laws to ban or at least restrict most of the top of my wishlist. I'd trade being able to keep bats for being sure I can keep ringtails, raccoons, Virginia opossums, and nine-banded armadillos.

Though the furbearer law is worded such that captive-bred animals aren't furbearers, TPWD apparently doesn't interpret it that way. And though the armadillo law only prohibits the sale of armadillos within the borders of Texas, I doubt that they'd be happy if I were to obtain an armadillo out-of-state and import it.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:23 pm

OK, now I'm going to post my birdie list:

1.Blue-naped mousebird

2. Kea

3. Green-cheeked conure (preferably pineapple mutation):

4. Gold-capped conure

5. Any sort of arboreal hornbill. The most likely candidate is the Von der Decken's hornbill, since those seem to be most popular in aviculture.

6. Brown-eared bulbul. (Though being native to Japan, this may be wishful thinking indeed.)

7. Patagonian conure

8. Peach-fronted conure

9. Any small toucan (toucanets and aracaris). Shown is a green aracari

The dichromatic toucanets (as with the Guyana toucanet below) are even more striking, but I don't think they're kept in aviculture.

10. Crested coua

11. Cuckoo roller

12. Any sort ofroller, most ideally the incredibly striking lilac-breasted roller.

13. New Caledonian crow

14. A colorful jay or magpie. Since the bluejay is of course illegal, the Sri Lanka blue magpie and azure-winged magpie are particularly striking.

15. Any member of the woodpecker family. Sadly North American and most European woodpeckers are covered by the MBTA. However the Red-throated wryneck looks kind of neat.

So does the Japanese pygmy woodpecker, though Japan's adhering to the MBTA may pose problems (however it's not on the list of prohibited species).

16. Since I've been a kid, I've known that sadly, the hoopoe is protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, if the Madagascan hoopoe becomes widely recognized as a separate species, I might be able to have a hoopoe.

17. I'd love to have a kookaburra. The spangled kookaburra in particular is neat-looking.

18. White-browed coucal, also known as a "rainbird."

19. Toucan barbet.

20. Any species of trogon. The orange-breasted trogon is particularly striking.

21. Not closely-related to true magpies, the Australian magpie is pretty neat.

22. Any species of Asian barbet. Shown are a blue-throated barbet and fire-tufted barbet.

23. Any species of neotropical ground cuckoo. Banded ground-cuckoo shown.

24. Female red-headed barbet or male versicolored barbet.

25. Any species of tinkerbird, but preferably a more colorful one, such as the red-fronted tinkerbird.

And that's probably enough for now. That's probably way more than enough. There's a lot of birds I want, though surprisingly few of them are passerines (and the passerines I do want are mostly drab-colored).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:43 pm

Cool. Interesting list of birds--I haven't heard of lots of those before. The one downside I see to birds is being able to house them in appropriate caging. The caging is SO expensive since it needs to be bird-specific. I really wanted to get parrots, but that was when I was planning on using chain link (but it's galvanized, so toxic).

At work there's a kookabura, and he's quite a character. Anytime you trill to him, he goes into a full-out kookabura laugh, lol. It's really cute and funny. Very endearing. I really liked them before, but after I got this guy trilling, I was in love, lol.

A dream bird of mine is the tawny frogmouth. Not like I'm actively looking or anything, but I don't know of any breeders. I'm sure they are out there though. But they are the funniest looking birds. I also like that they're carnivorous like kookaburas (in my opinion, that makes them easier to take care of--no complicated bird muffin diets, just whole prey). I was at an aviary once and we were able to pet a tawny frogmouth (weren't supposed to, but we didn't know better since we were younger and you could touch most of the other birds). It was really sleepy, but tame and friendly.

http://www.wiresnr.org/images/albinoFrogmouth013sm.jpg
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:38 pm

Some of the South American Jays are really pretty. If you want to stick to blue though the The Turquoise Jay is nice.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:49 am

@TamanduaGirl:
Thanks. I'll have to check some of them out.

@Ash:
The birds higher on my wishlist are mostly ones that could be easily kept in large cages within a house. (Except a kea, and arguably even the smaller hornbills but I really want keas and hornbills.) Most of the birds on my list would have to be kept in aviaries. On the other hand, a large number of the birds on my list are not kept in private aviculture in the United States or Europe as far als I know, in fact I think it's true of most of them.

But the wishlist is essentially a "best-case scenario" situation, where I get a job making mid six-figures (not impossible in my future line of work, but not likely either) in a place like Austin or Raleigh where both having the land to build outdoor aviaries and not having to heat them most of the time are viable. Then this best-case scenario continues with me getting all my permits inline, finding exporters in the relevant countries, and finding that the relevant countries will allow the trapping and export of the species in question.

The more-likely scenario is that I eventually get a job paying high five figures and cap out there, get a bit of land in a place where I need to heat aviaries all winter, and can't manage to export most of the species not already in the hands of private agriculturalists.

The frogmouth is interesting; nightjars in general are interesting. I kind of like the idea of a nocturnal bird (I'm way too nocturnally inclined myself, and my parrots would always want to go to bed way too early), but I'd always figured nightjars were rather difficult to take care of. I guess because they resemble owls a bit (and are also nocturnal), and owls are infamously difficult.

Also, I realized that I completely forgot turacos on my list. Getting a green turaco falls between the crested cuoa and the cuckoo roller; other turacos would fall after the woodpecker.

My favorite turaco is probably the Fischer's turaco, though the white-cheeked turaco is a fairly close second.

minervasden

Postby minervasden » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:49 am

I don't really keep a wishlist but here,in no particular order, is a few I'd like:

Crested Screamer

Victoria Crowned Pigeon

Lowland Streaked Tenrec

Jungle Cat (No chausies/hybrids)

Zedonk (Hybrid of zebra and donkey)

Crested Porcupine

Makes it look like I only like small to medium animals but that is not true. I like all sizes.
As for herps, Chinese Alligators were at the top of the list. I had to remove them and could not think of a species with which to replace them.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:48 pm

So why did you remove Chinese alligators from your list? Also, if it's an alligator you want, what's wrong with a dwarf caiman? They're one of the easiest crocodilians to obtain, and they don't grow longer than about four feet.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:20 pm

TexasYankee wrote:So why did you remove Chinese alligators from your list? Also, if it's an alligator you want, what's wrong with a dwarf caiman? They're one of the easiest crocodilians to obtain, and they don't grow longer than about four feet.

Almost all crocodilians are illegal now in my state. I simply wanted to personally compare the Chinese with the American. As far as caimans go I have owned and worked with several species. I prefer alligators.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:04 pm

It seems like a lot of states like to pass blanket bans on primates, carnivores, and crocodilians. Which I suppose is not as bad as Massachusetts (that which is not allowed is prohibited), but still annoying.

If you don't mind me asking: who do you like alligators better than caimans?
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:17 pm

TexasYankee wrote:If you don't mind me asking: who do you like alligators better than caimans?

Better attitude, personality, temperment, however you'd like to put it. This is based, of course, on my experiences with multiple individuals. I do know of others with similar opinions.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:59 pm

In my limited experience at my new job, caimens and crocodiles are plain nasty, lol. Caimens stay small, yes, but their attitudes are just "yikes!"

The American alligators are much more chill and relaxed, and by far easier to handle--I haven't had the opportunity to handle them yet, but watching other people do it, it's really obvious which one is easiest to work with; the alligators "come quietly," while the caimen and croc don't ever settle down after the initial grab. They keep trying to bite your fingers off, lol.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:22 pm

Ash wrote:In my limited experience at my new job, caimens and crocodiles are plain nasty, lol. Caimens stay small, yes, but their attitudes are just "yikes!"

The American alligators are much more chill and relaxed, and by far easier to handle--I haven't had the opportunity to handle them yet, but watching other people do it, it's really obvious which one is easiest to work with; the alligators "come quietly," while the caimen and croc don't ever settle down after the initial grab. They keep trying to bite your fingers off, lol.

Yep, that is how it goes.

Return to “Games and fun things”