PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Most Wanted Pets

games, quizzes, lists(wish lists, favorites lists, etc) and other fun things

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Most Wanted Pets

Postby caninesrock » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:25 pm

So I know I already made two topics about Pet wishlists,but those are different because one was if you could have any animal you wanted and didn't have to worry about laws, endangered species act, etc. and the other was for pets you thought it might be neat to have. This topic is for pets you are seriously considering and actually reasearching and looking into and plan on getting some day.

For me it's:
Golden Jackal of some sort(perferably either european, serenghetti, indian, siamese, or syrian)

Gray Wolf(Preferably Iberian if I can aquire some somehow. I also really like Mexican Gray but unfortunately they are endangered and illegal to own.)

Western Coyote(Mexican, Common/Plains,Mountain, Lower Rio Grande, Northern, or California Valley preferred)

Eastern Coyote/Coywolf(Prefer Eastern(C.l. var),but am also open to have Northeastern(C.l. thamnos).)

Another domestic dog.

Low to Mid-content Malamute-Wolf Cross

Ferret

Coatimundi
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Nova

Re: Most Wanted Pets

Postby Nova » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:55 pm

American Mink they are the top of my list mainly because they are so easy to get and suit my purposes. No permits required even, so they are a great starter for me whilst I build the long term plan for getting the others.

Again with the English Badger, but also I'm looking into a high desert badger (Taxidea Taxus Jeffersonii) or the classic north american badger, though getting a permit to do so may be difficult. These are A. easier for me to get, but the High Desert is quickly lowering in numbers and I wonder if some sort of captive breeding plan could be started for them. Though on a less conservation npote I also love the build of their bodies and how they mve, they were my favorite animal to deal with whenever Wildlife Rehab (which was rare) got them.

Binturong are a new addition to my list but they are quickly climbing as I really love how they interact and general factoids about them. I'd need to experience one up close to get a better idea of what I'm looking at as far as personality and care. That's the biggest difficulty I am currently having toward deciding how badly, and how soon, I want one.

Lastly would probably be otters. I know the kind of intensive care they have to have, and the very intricate set up I'd need to give them a proper enclosure so they are the lowest on my list. I do love them, and they fascinate me, but I can't approach them realistically just because of their very specific needs. Mainly the building costs of the sort of enclosure I'd prefer for them.

Oh, and as a "whenever I have the set up" additive. Another Chinchilla. It's going to be a bit since I want to make sure I can have a set up that prevents what happened last time. But I loved having Urca around, and would like to have another one.
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:54 pm

Hmm.... very difficult. I can't plan on having any exotics until I've moved out of state. :( I might still try to get the experience required for a permit, but it probably won't work.

Otherwise, I would say small-medium felids, ringtails, and maybe martens.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:20 am

Tamandua, I already have them but do still need a male

Slender mongoose but it's still a very distant goal.

Corsac fox but will wait till my current dogs pass most likely

Fennec someday but maybe when I'm kinda old or something. I don't think they would be a great fit now due to noise and potty issues.

Kinda seriously thinking about a ferret but will probably wait till my rabbit passes to avoid any potential prey vs predator accidents.

I was thinking about a rat awhile ago but I really don't like how rodents go everywhere and having to clean the whole cage because of it.
Moonfall

Postby Moonfall » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:14 am

Rats are actually easily potty trained, especially if you start young. I've started my older, filthy, lazy males on it and they are doing pretty well, considering they ARE older and male.

For me- fox, ferret (maybe), skunk, maybe a raccoon, some sort of larger snake. I'll probably add to this list eventually but for now my focus is a fox, of course.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:19 am

Cool. I'll look into that a little more then. Thanks.
Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:56 am

My ratties all potty trained, much better than my ferret. They are easy to do in my opinion and there are lots of how tos on them.

I need to add to my list Tayra, because I spaced and completely forgot them. This is mostly dependant on where I'm living, and what I'm doing though. There has been some talk of me going to south america for a few years, and if that happens I will definitely be getting Tayra.

Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:06 am

Nova, Moonfall- do you have any tips? My two girl ratites never potty-trained.... they're about a year old now, maybe a bit more. I thought it was probably too late.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:26 pm

vln_girl wrote:Nova, Moonfall- do you have any tips? My two girl ratites never potty-trained.... they're about a year old now, maybe a bit more. I thought it was probably too late.

Do you mean rats? I thought ratites were flightless birds? I think they were talking about rats. icon_confused.gif
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Moonfall

Postby Moonfall » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:27 pm

One of my males is almost 3 and is picking up on it. (even though I don't expect him to.. he has trouble getting around now.) Your girls will probably do fine.

Get a corner box, and put some of the bedding you are using now in there. I use carefresh for my boxes and newspaper for the floor. Put the box in the corner they are going to the bathroom in the most, and put some poops inside it and show them. If they poop outside of the box, place it in there, as well as returning any litter to the box (mine dig in the carefresh!). I do this 3 times a day, it takes about a minute. If you see them use the box, give them a treat and praise them.

At the very least they should learn to poop in there. My boys still pee on the floor- probably because they are boys. When you change the litter inside the box, leave a small amount of the dirty litter in there, and every week do a total change. I'd change the box probably twice a week depending on how messy they are being.

Good luck!

I think they meant ratties, caninesrock.
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:36 pm

My wishlist which I keep sending to Santa looks a little like this:

*Tamandua
*Alaskan Klee Kai
*Swift fox
*European Garden dormice
*Edible dormice

And anything else that is amazingly cute and fluffy.

Santa does not listen though. I may need to get Audrey to add some of the above to her list hehe.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:42 pm

I did basically the same as Moonfall. I got a corner pan that they generally advertize for ferrets, and would put their leavings in it. That way it smells. Rats are inclined to go in one spot anyway, so you just put the litter pan where ever that is. If you find some out you move it there. I also picked up my rats who would do it next to the box and put them in it so they could finish if I managed to catch em. It took about a month, but they got the picture.

cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:25 pm

Elina wrote:My wishlist which I keep sending to Santa looks a little like this:...

That, made me, laugh, so hard, thank you. I can always use a good laugh. I laughed, so loud, two of my domestic cats, thought, I lost my mind. My F3 Savannah, came running, like, I was some type of toy. You may have guessed, I am not much into laughter, lately :cry: .

Elina wrote:Edible dormice

Is that, what, type of mouse, my DSH, Shadow, keeps eating :lol: ? I know, that is not what she was eating. But, why are those Dormice called Edible? You know, I love Dormice. So, any info, you care to share, would be great.

Elina wrote:And anything else that is amazingly cute and fluffy.

I agree with that too :mrgreen: .

Elina wrote:Santa does not listen though. I may need to get Audrey to add some of the above to her list hehe.

Yea, Santa, does NOT listen to me either. I guess, I am too old :roll: . Maybe, if Audrey, asks for me, I might get something too :lol: .

Anyway, my list, is as follows:

Nonstandard, F2, male Savannah, ideally, marble patterned.
F2 Chausie, standard or not. I would love a black or grizzled male.
Geoffrey Cat male
Jungle Cat male
African Serval male
Bobcat
Canadian Lynx
Any other cat, Santa, wants to bring me :lol: .

Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks Moonfall and Nova!! So, to confirm, you just put regular bedding in the litter pan? My girls don't tend to go in one place... it's evenly scattered all over! :|

Yup, I meant ratties.. it auto-corrects the word! icon_biggin.gif
Elina

Postby Elina » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:01 pm

cat person wrote:
Elina wrote:My wishlist which I keep sending to Santa looks a little like this:...

That, made me, laugh, so hard, thank you. I can always use a good laugh. I laughed, so loud, two of my domestic cats, thought, I lost my mind. My F3 Savannah, came running, like, I was some type of toy. You may have guessed, I am not much into laughter, lately :cry: .

Elina wrote:Edible dormice

Is that, what, type of mouse, my DSH, Shadow, keeps eating :lol: ? I know, that is not what she was eating. But, why are those Dormice called Edible? You know, I love Dormice. So, any info, you care to share, would be great.

Elina wrote:And anything else that is amazingly cute and fluffy.

I agree with that too :mrgreen: .

Elina wrote:Santa does not listen though. I may need to get Audrey to add some of the above to her list hehe.

Yea, Santa, does NOT listen to me either. I guess, I am too old :roll: . Maybe, if Audrey, asks for me, I might get something too :lol: .

Hehe I'm sorry Mr Savannah kitty! :lol:

Edible dormice are called edible as the Romans actually ate them. You can still buy them for at dinner parties but they are about £100 per mouse.
They look allot like my African Pygmy dormice just allot larger with a longer snout and larger nose: http://www.regionalpest.co.uk/node/34

Edible dormice measure 8-10 inches where as my African Pygmy dormice measure 15cm and my Asian garden dormice measure 20cm (all inc their tails).

I am very interested to see how Edible dormice get around as my APD are like spider man and run up even the glass of their viv doors where as my AGD hop around like little rabbits :lol: .

One of my favourite things about having my dormice is I get to play interior designer when I clean them out :lol:. I am getting some silk cherry blossom for my Asian garden dormice tomorrow to make their viv look a little more "Asian" and am looking for some oriental style fish tank ornaments as the Greek urn just won't go with Cherry blossom. icon_confused.gif
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!

Return to “Games and fun things”