PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

Wild caught rodents / Florida

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

miniwuff

Wild caught rodents / Florida

Postby miniwuff » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:04 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right subsection, or even the right type of forum to post this on, and I'm sorry if not. Wasn't sure where else to ask.

Anyway, can anyone help me figure out if there's any Florida or federal laws against taking rodents from the wild? I've looked around a bit and haven't really found much of anything about it.

I'm not real sure what type of rodents live around here, but since I live near a nice wooded area, I would like to try and catch and keep some.

Uhh. Yeah, that's about all. Thanks in advance, sorry again.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wild caught rodents / Florida

Postby pat » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:02 am

I assume you mean rats or mice?

I would think the last place you would want a wild rodent is from the wild. they are harder to care for. also, you don't know if they carry any disease. some rodents carry ticks, some ticks are really bad and can be transmitted to a dog, cat or any other pets you might have.

f you decide to try it, please let us know how it works out.

If you want a rat, pet stores sell them.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:13 pm

I think this is a question in reference to the invasive pouched rats maybe? You can't get them anywhere now but Florida, I think, so is probably what the OP is wondering about.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:08 am

You need a permit to capture invasive species in Florida.
miniwuff

Postby miniwuff » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:51 am

I'm not interested in any invasive species other than Rattus rattus, which is currently the only species I'm more or less confident I can legally take.

I'm interested in native rodents for the most part. I feel they've all been caught in a "catch all" sort of rule where if they don't explicitly say you can take them, you legally cannot. Not 100% sure. I read the laws frequently, looking for new info, but I'm not the best at comprehension, especially with so much text, so I may be missing something.

Species I'd like to take would be the cotton mouse (Peromyscus gossypinus), harvest mouse (Reithrodontomys humulis), woodrat (Neotoma floridana), golden mouse (Ochrotomys nuttalli), and cotton rat (Sigmodon hispidus).
There are others but I feel if any would be legal, it would be these ones. I know a few of these have endangered / threatened subspecies populations but they are located mainly in the Keys.

Thing is, I highly doubt anyone would care if I kept these in my own home as long as they were not endangered / threatened, I didn't attempt to sell, and as long as no disease cropped up. I would prefer not to illegally own animals though, haha.

I don't expect any one to go scouring through the laws for a state they're not from and for animals they couldn't care less about. Thread was made over a year ago.

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”