ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Oregon

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Neofelis

Oregon

Postby Neofelis » Mon May 12, 2014 8:46 pm

I've been reading the laws regarding exotic animal possession in Oregon, and I can't find where it specifically bans the possession of native wild cats, namely bobcat and lynx. In the blanket felidae ban it says that native species will be regulated by the Department of Fish and Wiildlife, and they're not specifically prohibited in the "635-056-0050" importation section here. Guessing I'm missing something?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Oregon

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 12, 2014 8:54 pm

You need a permit and to buy from a USDA breeder/seller

635-044-0005 Permit Required to Hold Wildlife Any person desiring to capture and hold any northern flying squirrel (Glaucomys sabrinus), chickaree (Douglas’s squirrel and red squirrel) (Tamiasciurus douglasii and T. hudsonicus), golden-mantled ground squirrel (Spermophilus lateralis), or chipmunk (Tamias amoenus, T. minimus, T. senex, T. siskiyou and T. townsendii), or to hold any raccoon (Procyon lotor), or bobcat (Lynx rufus) must first secure a Wildlife Holding Permit by applying on a form provided to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. The application shall list the species and numbers to be captured or otherwise acquired, the source or proposed area of capture, the date of application, and the name, address, and signature of applicant. Any application may be denied by the director for cause.

Edit: lynx aren't native so they are banned under under the exotic law that bans felines.

Edit2: okay I'm wrong about that but then they will be protected under their state endangered stuff that's harder to find
"The last confirmed lynx in Oregon was taken 25 years ago near Corvallis and since then it was believed that none existed in the state."
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Tue May 13, 2014 12:48 am

Is it any different getting a permit for a bobcat than a serval then for example?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue May 13, 2014 2:42 am

Yeah you can't get a permit for a serval since exotic cats are banned. USDA is exempted from the exotic ban though so if you get USDA licensed then you can get them.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Tue May 13, 2014 12:17 pm

So just so I completely understand…. To get a serval (or any other wildcat under the ban) you'd have to be USDA. But it's a different process/permit needed to get a bobcat? Is it any easier?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue May 13, 2014 1:15 pm

Yes and I don't know. I'm guessing it's similar for either but you don't need to exhibit for the bobcat permit since it allows pets(at least I believe so people get raccoons as pets with permits and it's the same law).
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Tue May 13, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks!
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:27 am

This doesn't make any sense. So you can keep native species but not non-native like servals?
In other states it's often the other way around. I've seen southern states where you can keep pure wolves, but no coyotes because they are a native species.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:05 pm

It actually makes perfect sense to me. The fact that most states ban captive-bred native species out of rabies concerns but not non-natives and based the ban on whether they're raised for fur (because opossums totally transmit rabies) is what baffles me.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:39 pm

In some cases it makes sense though does seem odd at first. Like you can catch and keep northern flying squirrels from the wild(though sadly can't breed and sell them) but can't get a Southern Flying squirrel from a breeder. This actually is about protecting the native species by not risking introducing a competing species or exotic diseases.

The exotic ban law is strictly AR bs they managed to slip past by misdirection. The press and everyone said the bill was to add gators but didn't say while doing that they also changed it to a ban. So of course the public supported it.

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”