PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Oregon law changes for Native species

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Oregon law changes for Native species

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:54 pm

You need a permit for not native to the state Delaware but it sounds like they are stingy about giving them and would need to do kind of like Ash did and show a good reason for having it and skill and knowledge to keep it, that's my reading between the lines of their "in the public interest" http://delcode.delaware.gov/title3/c072/

If you don't mind the south Missouri is actually really good and unlikely to change since they have the auction there. You just need to register the big and venomous ones and some classes of native wildlife are not allowed roam freely about the house but that's about it.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:17 am

Delaware seems to allow most things with permits, permits can be for individuals, and the permit requirements seem to be reasonable. I guess Florida's actually less restrictive though, since Florida allows more things without permits. Nebraska seems to allow pretty much everything with no permit. Arguably Rhode Island and Maine also allow a lot of things without permits, but when I was looking at laws I concluded that getting permits in Delaware would be easier than Rhode Island or Maine for some reason I can't recall now. Or maybe I concluded that I couldn't get a permit for a raccoon in Rhode Island and Maine but can have a raccoon in Delaware.

The Northeast in general is generally the worst in terms of nanny-state laws designed to protect people from ourselves. In the case of exotic animals, states in the Northeast usually ban anything not allowed when it comes to animals (most states in the rest of the country allow anything not banned, though some--like California--have very long lists). New Hampshire is often an exception to Northeastern nanny state laws, but their exotic pet laws are not much different from Massachusetts and actually worse than New York State (which IIRC is one of the only Northeastern states that allows anything not banned).
hecate

Postby hecate » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:41 am

Nebraska does require a Captive Wildlife Permit: http://outdoornebraska.gov/cw/

Unlike some states that look the other way when people get fur farm permits for pet bobcats and lynx, Nebraska does check to make sure the animals are actually being bred and killed for fur.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:50 pm

So apparently I missed TG's reply when I posted. She knows more about laws than I do, so if she says that Delaware doesn't actually grant the exotic animal permits I'll believe it. I've heard Maine is the same way.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:52 pm

It'll be a while yet before we'll get there, but right now I'm looking mostly at North Carolina and Texas, while keeping Oregon as an alternative. :) I want to live by the coast and still have lax animal laws, and of course we'll all still need to fight the bans and regulations away, eve try to remove or soften some if possible, though that is less likely.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:03 am

So this became law this year and despite all the outcry they banned even skunks for all but AZA. So no skunks or raccoons.
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/oars/44.pdf

Totally nuts. Totally nuts as these are common "exotic" pets with no history of serious issues. The board is out of control since they were given the power to make and change laws. These are random people appointed by the governor NOT animal and wildlife experts like you might expect a wildlife board to be.

I think the only reason they didn't include foxes was because they were covered by other laws passed through normal bill and house vote process so do not have the power to randomly change them at will. This is why if I do try to get fennecs legalized I would try to do it through a bill to amend the exotic law to exempt fennecs from needing USDA or a permit but still covered under that law as allowed. They did that for cat hybrids so would just need to add similar wording.
aarami

Postby aarami » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:54 am

I think that fox’s like fennecs should require, protection from stupid owners but I don’t like permits that require people to inspections on my land. Maybe a permits that require the fox to get a checkup at the vet very 2 years to satisfy the states curiously. The size of the fox puts it at risk just like toy dogs getting killed by mishandling or eaten by birds of prey.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:21 am

Fennecs do break easily but most breaks are from miss jumps or falls. They are still pretty hard to get so poor owners are not a big worry though do happen, it's rare.

Unfortunately it's either inspection type permits or none. The exotics listed in the ban used to allow permits but when they added gators they quietly actually changed the wording to a ban. It's stupid they did that, the permits worked fine, but it's sillier that tiny fennecs are lumped in with wolves. By what's listed it was obviously their attempt to ban the dangerous ones. It might be hard to get enough public support for a change but I keep tossing the idea around of trying.

Actually I suppose you could change the wording to allow permits for just them or certain "safer" species. They allow permits still for those who had them before it changed to a ban and for anyone who has them under USDA and loses the USDA or retires, but you still have to apply and get approved and get inspections. I believe under that permit you are not to have them out in public except to take to a vet though, meaning no walks or visits to friends but fennecs can be content being home bodies. So hmm yeah permits might just get more support if I did try it. Though personally I'd like to just see them legal and not need to worry about a permit to own. You need a permit to import already and most breeders are pretty picky and people find it hard to get a fennec. Permit might get more support though.

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”