PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

"Is My Fox Legal In My City?"

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

"Is My Fox Legal In My City?"

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:00 pm

"Is my fox legal in my city?"

"You tell me," is how I've been wanting to answer this question lately.

I've received numerous inquiries from residents of Utah (and other states) regarding the legalities of foxes in their cities. Not just from here, but on facebook, from face-to-face talk, etc.

I'll be a bit blunt and say that you need to do your own research. It is very important for you to learn how to find your city's laws when it comes to owning exotic animals.

(After all, it's highly unlikely you will remain in the same location your entire life. So that is a skill you will need to develop.)

Do I have a list of legal/illegal cities in my state? Yes, I do. But it is an incomplete one. Can I find the laws of all the other cities I do not currently have listed? Absolutely! :mrgreen: It takes time though...

I just finished making a phone call and delving into land use ordinances to find an answer for somebody inquiring about reptile legalities in his town. It took me about an hour for this particular one. *whew!*

See, my goal is not to tell people: "foxes are legal here, here, here, and here." Because the act of researching a city's laws is one thing that really helps weed out ill-prepared owners and impulse buyers. I do not want to take that barrier away.

I have no idea if you've been researching fox ownership for years, months, days, or just a few minutes... But typically if one has researched the laws and discovered it for themselves, they've likely been researching long enough to know that a fox could be a good fit for them.

I want to clarify that I'm not making this post to say, "Leave me alone! You're lazy! Go bother someone else! You're the hundredth person to ask me this!" That would be mean, unhelpful, and irresponsible of me. I want to help!

But... I am making this post to say, "Researching local laws is an integral part of animal ownership. It cannot just be handed to you. Research takes time and energy, and that is what these animals will require."

So as much as possible, try to do your legality research on your own. :) It will benefit you as well as your animal. You may always confirm your findings with other people, of course! In fact, that part is very important. Or if you have difficulty reading through city legalities, ask away. :icon-wink:
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Is My Fox Legal In My City?"

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:54 pm

Google searches to help

Where city should be the city name

"city exotic code"
"City vulpes"
"City rabies code"
"City health code"
"City animal code"

All above with ordinance instead of code
All above with laws instead of code

Once you find the code search for fox and vulpes if searchable as well as rabies, exotic, animal dangerous, canidae ect.

If not online try your city hall and library for code copies.
See if your city has a code enforcement agent who can answer your questions.
Awesomeness

Postby Awesomeness » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Are foxes legal in west valley.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:25 pm

No, they are not. Sorry.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Minty

Postby Minty » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Ash wrote:So as much as possible, try to do your legality research on your own. :)

Awesomeness wrote:Are foxes legal in west valley.

Sweet irony :roll: Though I probably shouldn't be one to talk anyway.
Though I haven't asked this specifically, I've asked my fair share of questions I could of found on my own. So I'm very grateful for the tolerance you guys have, and the wisdom you all bestow. Without people like you this board wouldn't be very useful at all.
If nothing else, at least people are asking rather than getting the fox and finding out later.
Sashley

Postby Sashley » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:22 am

Has this list of Cities been updated recently? I’m trying to figure out if red foxes are legal in Weber County. I’ve done quite a few different searches online but the codes I’ve been able to find don’t specify anything about foxes. Our city library is currently closed for construction and it will be a few days before I can go into city hall so I’m trying to see what other information I can find online in the meantime.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Here is a link to the Weber County ordinances: https://library.municode.com/ut/weber_county/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTICOOR_TIT44WIRE_S44-1-1ADUTWIRECORE

Sec. 44-1-1. - Adoption of the Utah Wildlife Resources Code by reference.
The rules and regulations contained in Utah Code Annotated Title 23, as amended, and the Rules promulgated thereunder, are hereby adopted as the wildlife resources code, rules and regulations of the county, and by this reference are made a part of this Code to the same extent and effect as though said title, chapters, sections and rules were set forth herein in full. Any provisions of Title 23 providing a penalty greater than a class B misdemeanor, or not relating to criminal or administrative sanctions, are not incorporated as part of this title.

So unless there is something elsewhere in the code, it sounds like it would be legal on the county level.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:49 pm

Well they kind of contradict that here buy having a list of what's allowed and banning all others but you are in luck and silver fox are on the list of allowed species that are "commonly found in pet shops" lol but okay if they say so.

"Exotic pet means a rare or unusual non-protected animal species that is classified by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and under state law as approved for keeping as a pet, unless otherwise restricted by this title. Permitted exotic pets only include those species commercially available at typical retail pet shops in the area and include non-venomous snakes, non-poisonous small reptiles, non-poisonous amphibians, tortoises, ferrets, potbelly pigs, exotic birds, sugar gliders, degas, hedgehogs, domesticated silver fox, and non-poisonous insects."

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”