PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

"Is My Fox Legal In My City?"

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

"Is My Fox Legal In My City?"

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:00 pm

"Is my fox legal in my city?"

"You tell me," is how I've been wanting to answer this question lately.

I've received numerous inquiries from residents of Utah (and other states) regarding the legalities of foxes in their cities. Not just from here, but on facebook, from face-to-face talk, etc.

I'll be a bit blunt and say that you need to do your own research. It is very important for you to learn how to find your city's laws when it comes to owning exotic animals.

(After all, it's highly unlikely you will remain in the same location your entire life. So that is a skill you will need to develop.)

Do I have a list of legal/illegal cities in my state? Yes, I do. But it is an incomplete one. Can I find the laws of all the other cities I do not currently have listed? Absolutely! :mrgreen: It takes time though...

I just finished making a phone call and delving into land use ordinances to find an answer for somebody inquiring about reptile legalities in his town. It took me about an hour for this particular one. *whew!*

See, my goal is not to tell people: "foxes are legal here, here, here, and here." Because the act of researching a city's laws is one thing that really helps weed out ill-prepared owners and impulse buyers. I do not want to take that barrier away.

I have no idea if you've been researching fox ownership for years, months, days, or just a few minutes... But typically if one has researched the laws and discovered it for themselves, they've likely been researching long enough to know that a fox could be a good fit for them.

I want to clarify that I'm not making this post to say, "Leave me alone! You're lazy! Go bother someone else! You're the hundredth person to ask me this!" That would be mean, unhelpful, and irresponsible of me. I want to help!

But... I am making this post to say, "Researching local laws is an integral part of animal ownership. It cannot just be handed to you. Research takes time and energy, and that is what these animals will require."

So as much as possible, try to do your legality research on your own. :) It will benefit you as well as your animal. You may always confirm your findings with other people, of course! In fact, that part is very important. Or if you have difficulty reading through city legalities, ask away. :icon-wink:
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Is My Fox Legal In My City?"

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:54 pm

Google searches to help

Where city should be the city name

"city exotic code"
"City vulpes"
"City rabies code"
"City health code"
"City animal code"

All above with ordinance instead of code
All above with laws instead of code

Once you find the code search for fox and vulpes if searchable as well as rabies, exotic, animal dangerous, canidae ect.

If not online try your city hall and library for code copies.
See if your city has a code enforcement agent who can answer your questions.
Awesomeness

Postby Awesomeness » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Are foxes legal in west valley.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:25 pm

No, they are not. Sorry.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Minty

Postby Minty » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Ash wrote:So as much as possible, try to do your legality research on your own. :)

Awesomeness wrote:Are foxes legal in west valley.

Sweet irony :roll: Though I probably shouldn't be one to talk anyway.
Though I haven't asked this specifically, I've asked my fair share of questions I could of found on my own. So I'm very grateful for the tolerance you guys have, and the wisdom you all bestow. Without people like you this board wouldn't be very useful at all.
If nothing else, at least people are asking rather than getting the fox and finding out later.

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”