PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Ban in Abu Dhabi

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nìmwey

Ban in Abu Dhabi

Postby Nìmwey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:34 pm

Not local for most of us, but it's scary that these bans are spreading like wildfire across the planet.
http://m.gulfnews.com/news/uae/society/ ... -1.1958580

If you're young like me, and you don't think certain exotics will be banned virtually worldwide in your lifetime... I admire your optimism.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ban in Abu Dhabi

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Yeah it might not happen in our life time but all animals being taboo to keep could eventually be the way of life. The hard line AR's have this incremental plan and it is sadly working so far. The scary exotics, then the "wild" exotics, then the odd exotics, the farm animals and the scary breeds of dogs first, then the "unhealthy" and unnatural breeds, demonize all working animals, etc.
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:02 am

PETA and a ton of AR's pretty much want you to have absolutely no pets. Bottom line. They're nut cases.
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.
vulpini

Postby vulpini » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:17 pm

This is very sad, because they literally don't want you to have any pets. This is a direct statement from the president of PETA, stating their 'vision';

For one thing, we would no longer allow breeding. People could not create different breeds. There would be no pet shops. If people had companion animals in their homes, those animals would have to be refugees from the animal shelters and the streets. You would have a protective relationship with them just as you would with an orphaned child. But as the surplus of cats and dogs (artificially engineered by centuries of forced breeding) declined, eventually companion animals would be phased out, and we would return to a more symbiotic relationship—enjoyment at a distance.[146]

I will say that I am glad some of these exotic big cats will hopefully be relocated to better homes...I've seen videos from the owners' /own/ pages of them playing very dangerously with tigers and encouraging violent play behavior...I think it is this type of disrespect for the power of the animals that leads to deadly accidents and more bans

I would have liked to see them put welfare laws in place instead of a ban, however. I think just banning and expecting them all to go to good homes in 6 months is really unrealistic. I wouldn't be surprised if most of these animals meet unsavory ends, considering how they're mainly viewed as a status symbol and not as a living creature. Abu Dhabi is run by the elite, and it is the elite who own these animals. I don't expect they will actually have to give them up (I know someone who has lived there, and he once saw someone out walking their cheetah in the streets). I wonder what brought the ban about...
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:08 pm

Yeah someone posted a video of a baby human(just to be clear) tugging on their lynxes ears. Now thankfully the lynx was purring ans sweet but they should never have even been in the same room to find out how it would react. Goodish it did show not all exotic cats are killing machines. Bad is it showed an exotic owner being incredibly irresponsible.

But yeah for the most part idiots are still the minority with exotic owners, you see that sort of thing much more with big dogs and owners thinking it's cute to let babies and kids harass them.

Some welfare and safety guidelines(laws) for any mammals a certain size class domestic or not would be the ideal.

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”