PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Which one of these states are most exotic friendly?

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Which one of these states are most exotic friendly?

Postby caninesrock » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:49 pm

So, I narrowed down a list of states that seem to have all species of foxes, raccoons, and atleast wolfdogs, if not pure wolves, legal. As you can see, the list is very small,mostly cause red fox and raccoons weren't allowed in alot of states. However, I'm trying to narrow it down even more to the best state.

Here's the states where wolfdogs, foxes, and raccoons seem to be legal:
1.Delaware
2.Florida
3.Indiana
4.Maine
5.Oklahoma
6.South Dakota

I'm trying to figure out if any of the other animals I want are legal in those states as well and here is a list of all the animals I would like to be legal for owning and importing with most wanted in red:

Canine Family
Wolf or High-Content Wolfdog
Coyotes and Coydogs (Pure coyotes must be legal since High-content coydogs are really hard to find)
Jackals (All Species)
New Guinea Singing Dogs and Australian Dingoes(Not sure if dingoes are even available in US, but just covering all my bases and NGSD are sometimes classed as a type of dingo so not sure on how the law would interpret them)
Atleast Red, Gray, and Arctic Fox if not all foxes

Feline Family
Safari Cat(Geoffrey's Cat x Domestic Cat Hybrid)
Bengal Cat (Domestic Cat x Asian Leopard Cat Hybrid, but also a recognized domestic breed if after a certain generation)
Savannah Cat (Domestic Cat x Serval, but also recognized domestic breed if after a certain generation)
Chausie (Jungle Cat x Domestic Cat hybrid. I think people are trying to breed them as a breed, but I'm not sure if they are actually recognized by any cat registries like the Bengals and Savannahs are though.)

Weasel Family
(American) Mink
Ferrets(Well, should be legal most places but since California bans them, just double-checking all my bases.)
Marbled Polecat
Tayra

Genet and Civet Family
Genet(All Species)
Civet (All species)

Mongoose Family
Cusimanse

Raccoon Family
Raccoon
Coatimundi
Ringtail Cat
Kinkajou

Miscellanous Animals
Opossums (All species, but especially the Virginia Opossum and the Four-eyed Opossum)
Bush Babies
Lemurs (But especially Red Ruffed)
Squirrels(But especially Gray Squirrels and Fox Squirrels)
Spotted Hyenas

Also a couple of other questions:

Which of those states have lemur breeders since lemurs can't cross state lines?

Can pure wolves cross state lines? I'm not sure since at least some populations of Gray Wolf seem to be listed on the Endangered Species Act.

Thanks.
Vata Raven

Re: Which one of these states are most exotic friendly?

Postby Vata Raven » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:45 am

South Dakota is very exotic friendly.

I was looking into that state to move to, and they so allow you to import and own anything under the canine family. You would have to get a fur license to own a raccoon.

I'll post the link to the thread I made when I was asking for loopholes for Wyoming. It is mostly Wyoming info, but I posted South Dakota related links too.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=13728&p=130865#p130865
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:57 pm

Thanks for the info. Wait. So does that mean that raccoons aren't legal for pets then in South Dakota? Or can you get a fur license for pets?

So far I'm leaning towards Florida because it allows pretty much everything I want except hyenas. My other choice would be Indiana since it seems to allow anything including big animals like hyenas and native animals like foxes and raccoons if I read the laws right, but the problem with that is that I still want to one day open my Canid Education Facility and Indiana already has that covered with Wolf Park.

Ideally, I'd love to open the center here in Texas since not only is it where most of my family currently lives, but I feel that it needs education about canids the most since its a big argicultural/ranching state so misinformation and unfair hatred of canids is fairly common here sadly. However, unfortunately, all species of foxes are banned here and coyotes, while not banned to own, are banned to import or sell, so there's no way to get one except for maybe wild-caught, which I'm not sure on. Also, I really want raccoons and mink, which are banned here as well.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:14 pm

Well if you open a facility you could probably get the needed permits to have those species. Like there are some places with fennecs in TX that I know of but they have special permits for them. If you want them before your facility happens as pets then of course that wont work.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:23 pm

So, if there are exemptions for facilities I suppose that could work. I could start with species that are legal for private ownership here: High Content Wolfdogs, Side-stripped Jackal, Golden Jackal, and Black-backed Jackal (though as far as I know Black-backed are sadly the only jackals available in North America, even in accredited zoos which is a shame since Goldens are actually my favorite and are fairly common in European zoos), African Golden Wolf (though still considered the same as the Golden Jackal by many scientists and also not available in North America), Eastern Coyote/Coywolf, New Guinea Singing Dog, and Dingo(though dingoes seem to be pretty rare outside of accredited zoos here even though commonly kept as pets in Australia).

That would just leave an exemption needed for foxes (preferably for all non-endangered species of true and false fox if possible) and coyotes. I also really want mink and raccoons though, but I'm not sure how they would fit into a Canid Education facility.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

aarami

Postby aarami » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:01 am

Canid Education facility sounds interesting, however, one thing you might need to consider is the climate, geology, and geohazards of the state that you want to build in.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:51 am

caninesrock wrote:Thanks for the info. Wait. So does that mean that raccoons aren't legal for pets then in South Dakota? Or can you get a fur license for pets?

You would have to call and ask; you might be able to import from a breeder and keep it as a pet under the fur license. I haven't researched more because their land was too costly, and moved my info searching towards Wyoming.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:56 pm

Ok, so I narrowed to down to 4 states. I removed Florida since Spotted Hyenas aren't legal there and I removed South Dakota since Raccoons possibly aren't legal there. So that just leaves:
1.Delaware
2.Indiana
3.Maine
4.Oklahoma

@aarami : The good thing about canids is that most species are fairly versatile. The only ones I'd really have to worry about are something like a fennec fox that lives in the desert so they don't get too cold or providing means for cold climate animals like Arctic Foxes to cool themselves down in a hot climate.

Currently, the species I'm interested in are:

-Gray Wolf or High Content Wolfdog (Pretty much can adapt to any climate provided they have the means to cool themselves off in hotter climates like a pool or air conditioned shelter of some sort or both.)

-Coyotes, Eastern Coyotes, and Coydogs ( Coyotes are also fairly adaptable and have a huge range that incudes both hot and cold climates. Coyote-dog mixes would be a more varied factor though depending on the breed(s) of dogs they were mixed with and how much coyote vs how much dog they have.)

-Golden Jackal (Golden Jackals are another species that can range from hot to cold climates.)

-Black-backed Jackal (Found in hot climates, so would need some kind of protection from the cold.)

-Side-stripped Jackal (Found in hot climates, so would need some kind of protection from the cold.)

-New Guinea Singing Dog ( Not sure since not much is known about them in their wild state. There' s more kept as a domestic breed now than found wild. I think they're probably fairly adaptable though since they're similar to domestic dogs.)

-Australian Dingo (Not sure on dingoes either, but they can probably adapt to any climate like domestic dogs and New Guinea Singing Dogs too though.)

-African Golden Wolf (This is a debated species. Some scientist think that the Golden Jackals in Africa aren't actually Golden Jackals, but are this species. Since its only found in Africa if its a separate species, they would need a warm climate too.)

-Red Fox (Are found in hot and cold climates)

-Gray Fox (not sure. I know they live in warm climates, but not sure on cold climates.)

-Arctic Fox (cold climates so will need some means to cool down)

@Vata Raven:
I remember looking into Wymoming. If I remember right, aren't they very anti-exotic?
Oh, well, I'll eliminate South Dakota just in case then since I'm not sure.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Beware just because a state looks good on paper because it says you need a permit to have exotics does not mean you can get them. Maine is said to be one of these states where you they don't actually give you the permits especially for pet reasons.

I'm fairly sure Delaware is also a state like this but you could try writing the state vet and asking if they would give permits for the animals you want and what kinds. They have personal, zoo, etc permits and some species they may only give zoo permits too. I don't know of any fox or other exotic owners in the state so that makes me pretty sure it's one of those that only looks good on paper.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:50 pm

caninesrock wrote:@Vata Raven:
I remember looking into Wymoming. If I remember right, aren't they very anti-exotic?
Oh, well, I'll eliminate South Dakota just in case then since I'm not sure.

It just depends on what animal(s) you want to own. Wyoming fit my situation because I only plan to own one exotic animal type.

Just based off this:
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regula ... 0_Brochure

Wyoming wouldn't fit your needs.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:07 am

@TG: Oh. I didn't know Maine didn't give permits. Thanks for letting me know. I'll take it off the list. I'll take Delaware off the list too just in case.

So, I guess that just leaves:
1. Indiana
2. Oklahoma

Indiana seemed like I could have anything with a permit when I looked into their laws if I read them right, but I'm not too sure on Oklahoma's laws.

@Vata Raven
Yeah, I remember looking into Wyoming's laws for exotics when I was considering pursuing a career as a wolf biologist since Yellowstone is in Wyoming. Wolves and I believe coyotes as well are illegal there, which I guess in a way makes sense so they can make sure that none are taken from the wild or that no pet wolves or wolfdogss escape and threaten the wild population in the national park or something, but it was still kind of disappointing to learn they weren't legal there.

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”