PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Are Importation Laws Enforced?

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Spindaboy

Are Importation Laws Enforced?

Postby Spindaboy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:10 pm

Just curious. I'm moving to Tennessee when I pick up my fox, but there will come a time when I need to move back to Kentucky for school/family reasons. I am obtaining my fox from a licensed breeder (in Indiana) and plan to raise it as if it were my child. What are the odds of running into trouble with law enforcement if I take care of it properly and it doesn't get into any trouble? Can they even confiscate my animal if they can't prove I didn't get it from somewhere in Kentucky? I'm not wanting to break the law, but I want to be prepared if a legal incident ever occurs.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Are Importation Laws Enforced?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:02 pm

Yes. Since the law bans import they would want you to have proof of getting it in state, like paperwork from a breeder. I don't think there are breeders in KY so that would make your having one highly suspicious as well so likely to get caught.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:13 pm

I agree with Mary. the sad ending would result in putting the fox down icon-sad
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Spindaboy

Postby Spindaboy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:28 pm

pat wrote:I agree with Mary. the sad ending would result in putting the fox down icon-sad

I really don't want that... I suppose this is what they mean when they say you have to accommodate yourself for the fox and not the other way around. I'm sure I can figure something out for us.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:49 pm

really glad you understand that we are only trying to help you. also so you can get a clear picture of what to expect.
I have heard too many horror stories about foxes and raccoons. Most states will just kill them if they are illegal or too many complaints. icon-sad

I know awhile ago, some people had an illegal raccoon. the game officer actually had the balls to shoot the raccoon in front of the family. :twisted:
Many other horror stories, but, I thought I would mention what could happen.

we just don't want you to have a bad experience.

Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:50 am

Before I got involved with raccoons, I had no idea the game commission was an actual threat-
they've since given me a very good education. They devote a great deal of time and energy to
chasing around after 'illegal' animals, more time and energy than I'd ever have suspected or
believed. Take absolutely no chances with these people - this is how they earn their pay.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:27 am

Ana wrote:Before I got involved with raccoons, I had no idea the game commission was an actual threat-
they've since given me a very good education. They devote a great deal of time and energy to
chasing around after 'illegal' animals, more time and energy than I'd ever have suspected or
believed. Take absolutely no chances with these people - this is how they earn their pay.

That is so true. A friend of mine, had all her animals confiscated awhile back. she had a bear cub, they took it and killed it. icon-sad
they killed her raccoons took her dogs. the game commission thinking is all animals have rabies :roll: In order to test, they need to cut the head off icon-sad

I was pissed when they killed her bear cub. I told them, I will take the cub in, cause I have a permit, but, they wouldn't do it.
I fought with them over that BS for quite awhile. I tried to explain to them, that it is very rare that black bears get rabies.
as for captive foxes, raccoons, I believe it is also very rare. the game commission seems to compare captive animals to wild animals :roll:

you are so correct about the money, of course my friend paid lots of fines.

Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:26 am

So many people have their animals killed despite being legal, or because of silly laws that shouldn't exist.
We should all come together and speak up against this, make a video to show people what's going on. People get really pissed when pitbulls and other dogs targeted by BSL are taken from their families and killed, people need to understand that owners of exotics love their babies just as much.
I could make a video, but I need help with the content.

Why is there a ban on bringing animals across state borders?
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Spindaboy

Postby Spindaboy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:35 am

Nìmwey wrote:Why is there a ban on bringing animals across state borders?

Honestly I have no idea. It's as if the state thinks the animal magically becomes dangerous the second it crosses the border. It makes no sense to me. And what makes me even more furious is that while you can't bring a perfectly tame, domesticated pet into the state, you can however go out and catch that same species (a fox in this case),which is a wild animal mind you, and keep it as a "pet". We need to put a stop to this.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:31 pm

They think importing a fox from another state could introduce disease.
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:25 pm

There is a doctor about 7 miles over the state border that has experience with raccoon obesity.
I'm unable to drive my boy, who is neutered and UTD on all shots, to appointments every 6 weeks.
It's outrageous. :/
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:00 am

Nìmwey wrote:So many people have their animals killed despite being legal, or because of silly laws that shouldn't exist.
We should all come together and speak up against this, make a video to show people what's going on. People get really pissed when pitbulls and other dogs targeted by BSL are taken from their families and killed, people need to understand that owners of exotics love their babies just as much.
I could make a video, but I need help with the content.

Why is there a ban on bringing animals across state borders?

I don't really understand the ban bringing animals across the state board. maybe a health certificate would be be legal :shrug:
If not, it should be. all my exotic animals I bought, I bought from another state, However, The animals did have a health certificate.
I don't know if all states require this.

A video would be a good idea. However, we are never going to convince many people. There are too many people that just think we shouldn't own these type of animals. according to these jerks, they should be in the wild :roll:

I agree with you. I tried a couple different times to get animal lovers/owners to support me, but, not many animal owners would participate icon-sad which I guess I can understand, guess many were afraid of losing their animals.
That was a while ago. Maybe now with FB, it might help :shrug:

Also, I think the dnr/game comm should understand exotics, even own some themselves.

The only thing I can think of is to for people to get petitions signed. if we can pull enough together, then send them everywhere we can think of.
even to Trump :lol: also, in conjunction, call the government, the state and keep the pressure up.

When I got my exotic permits, it was not easy, I didn't give up though. I fought for my fox permit for 6 months. The game commission knows me quite well, as soon as I called them, They answered, "Hi Pat" :lol:

It is annoys me when a person is caught without a permit, the animal is taken and killed. :twisted: why not give them a chance to get the proper papers, give them a care sheet. (we can even donate some if need be). I have a annual inspection, my game officer (which is a super nice guy)
was only concerned about the enclosures. I told him, I wish the game officers would check the animal's living condition. Now he does.
In fact, awhile ago, when he was here, he seen my raccoons swimming water, he said "that water is dirty" I told him, "that is not their drinking water" Then I showed him all the drinking dishes I have for them. (I change the raccoons swimming water everyday, but, one time use, they get it dirty)

I am willing to help out. we need a plan, and people.

Spindaboy

Postby Spindaboy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:17 am

I'm all for petitioning for the revision of exotic pet legislation, but it seems the biggest problem is that for every person who supports owning them there are several more who oppose it :( I don't know how our voice can be heard.
Spindaboy

Postby Spindaboy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:24 am

I just created a FB group to spread the message of Fox legalization in the U.S. If you would like to join click here.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Spindaboy wrote:I'm all for petitioning for the revision of exotic pet legislation, but it seems the biggest problem is that for every person who supports owning them there are several more who oppose it :( I don't know how our voice can be heard.

that is true. All we can do is try. Then we have the Peta Jerks :roll:
I just created a FB group to spread the message of Fox legalization in the U.S. If you would like to join click here.
That is great. I didn't get a chance yet to look at your link. I have been pretty busy and burned out too. :lol:

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”