PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Are Importation Laws Enforced?

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Are Importation Laws Enforced?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:08 pm

I've thought about trying to get fennecs allowed in Oregon as pets the basic steps here would be the same for most states. Get a petition with a lot of signatures, as that could help you to get a meeting with your representative. Talk said rep into introducing a bill to allow fennecs, this might vary some by state on what the bill would say. Here the bill would be to modify the current law to exempt fennecs from needing a permit(ideally) or allow for pet permits for fennecs as a workable second option.

The draw backs come to the stuff you can't do much about. The wildlife board is very anti exotic and I heard very anti fox, they probably would have banned foxes along with raccoons for all but AZA if they had the power but since they are covered by the state exotics law they can't and current law allows USDA too. But they have to make a committee to debate the proposed change the bill would make and they will likely appoint people from the board as exports(even though they have no real animal knowledge and were appointed by the Governor so probably just because they were friends) or consult with them at least so sadly has a poor chance. Though not trying is zero chance. So I don't know.
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:20 am

It's interesting because Oregon is so libertarian and progressive in other respects. I truly don't understand.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:54 am

It'd be nice if the board positions at least required some relevant experience or knowledge but by the people that were appointed it obviously doesn't, governor just appoints whoever.

They used to allow permits in the exotic law but they kinda snuck that ban into law on the "dangerous exotics" felines, canidae, bears, primates and Gators by publicly saying the new amendment was adding gators and left out mentioning the part about them stopping giving permits for them for pets as well, at least in the main stream news, so there wasn't enough aware to pressure them not to pass it. And of course those pushing it make it sound good, protecting critters from us abusive owners, ugh, so they think they are doing right. Permits were working just fine though.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:31 pm

I'm in KY and I can tell you, I have searched and searched for loopholes, and there aren't any. There are plenty of threads here on Sybils (most by me) looking for said loopholes. KY won't even (legally) let you drive through the state with a fox. You have to have a 24 hr, temporary transport permit, which I have never seen them issue. They always use the "rabies" excuse and refuse it. The same goes for coyotes and raccoons. And skunks too I think, but I haven't looked into that very much. My main interests are foxes and coyotes.

And the others are right, if you are caught with one, you will be questioned about where it came from.
You'll have to provide proof of it coming from within the state, and there are no breeders within the state of KY. I've looked.

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”