PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Can this be... A MIRACLE

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TurkRoach

Can this be... A MIRACLE

Postby TurkRoach » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:12 am

Bora Kalem
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can this be... A MIRACLE

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Removing non-natives from it is one thing that really needs changed with it and another ruling recently with the lacy act shows this isn't likely legal to have in there anyway. Hopefully they listen.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:30 pm

Awesome.

I sent messages to my representatives about it. Not sure if they'll listen (or care), but it's worth a try.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TurkRoach

Postby TurkRoach » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:15 pm

I am only worried about the lack of support this might get. I am sure that there will be at least one person who opposes hsus who will opose this ban at the same time. Probably because other people will take away his or her special if you know what I mean.
Bora Kalem
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:46 pm

I think mentioning the lacey act case could help. The ruling in that would make the law prohibiting exotic animals interstate travel also illegal and if they just drop that now it could potentially save another court battle.
Ana

Postby Ana » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:42 pm

My Jude can't see the experienced local doctor for treatment because the clinic is 13 miles over a state line. Would this change that?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:47 pm

No. States could still set their own rules. This would stop the federal government from banning exotic endangered species from crossing state lines and stick to only native species being regulated under the endangered species act.

The lacy act ruling said they couldn't ban species that are only invasive locally, like pythons in Florida, from inter state trade / crossing state lines.

So both mean you can/could move or sell to a legal state from the one you are in now. Like right now you can't move a lemur from one state to another without special endangered species licenses. There are already laws protecting against poached animals being imported so banning interstate travel is doing nothing productive.

Neither prevents a state from banning what they want. It sure would be nice if you could travel safely with your exotic pet but the fed forcing local governments to accept legality of travelers based on their home state's laws wont happen.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:45 pm

So... could someone explain this to me, as "ESA for Dummies"? Why is the non-native species law bad, and what would we have instead? I scoured over the USARK link but didn't really get it. So treat me like what I am sometimes, an idiot. :)
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:58 pm

Exotic endangered species can't cross state lines without the federal license for endangered species. So if you have a pet lemur or something you can't move or sell any to other states. CITES regulates import of endangered species so this has nothing to do with wild animals, those are already prevented from coming in. So a better question is what does it help? How does preventing people from owning and breeding lemurs or lions or what not help save the wild ones?

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”