PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Bill to remove exotic species from the endangered species act

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bill to remove exotic species from the endangered species act

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:13 am

https://naturalresources.house.gov/uplo ... .13.17.pdf

Contact your rep and ask them to support. If you need to find your rep use this thing https://www.house.gov/representatives/find/
Juska

Re: Bill to remove exotic species from the endangered species act

Postby Juska » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:14 am

Sent.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:27 pm

Sent as well.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Teela

Postby Teela » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:24 am

Dunnit
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:12 pm

Can someone explain what this bill means? I read the PDF, but I still don't understand the purpose behind it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:25 pm

It removes exotic species from the endangered species act. CITES already regulates their import so there is no reason to regulate the trade of exotic species born and raised in captivity in the USA between states.

This will allow them to cross state lines. Like lemurs can't cross state lines right now due to this.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:05 pm

Going off your lemur example, would this be correct?

Lemurs are among the exotic pet trade, but since it is endangered, it can't cross the state line. So, if you wanted a pet lemur, a breeder would have to be located in your state to get one.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:48 pm

Yeah as it stands now. The bill if passed would end that so they could be moved freely.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:36 pm

Aaaaaah, this bill sounds great. I really hope it passes, what are the chances?
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TurkRoach

Postby TurkRoach » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:02 am

I would expect for the worst though
Bora Kalem
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:20 am

Got a reply from my Pennsylvania congress rep. I mentioned H.R. 2063 and also the fact that perhaps allowing more exotic pet trade in our state could bring more jobs/money into our economy, which they mentioned as well. Rep. Cartwright is known to support the environment already so I would hope the email reply actually reflects his views on the bill.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding your support for H.R. 2063, the SAVES Act. I appreciate hearing from you on this important topic and I am glad to have the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, Congress enacted the Endangered Species Act (ESA) in 1973 to increase protection for, and provide for the recovery of, vanishing wildlife and vegetation. Under ESA, species of plants and animals (both vertebrate and invertebrate) can be listed as endangered or threatened according to assessments of their risk of extinction. Habitat loss is the primary cause for listing species. Once a species is listed, powerful legal tools are available to aid its recovery and protect its habitat.

H.R. 2603, the SAVES Act, would amend the Endangered Species Act of 1973 to provide that nonnative species in the United States shall not be treated as endangered species or threatened species. I share your support for economic development in our community. Should this bill come before the House for a vote, I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind.

As your Congressman, creating good paying, family sustaining jobs is one of my top priorities. I share your support for conservation of animals and their wildlife. As long as I am in Congress I will work to protect wildlife and their ecosystems.

Sincerely,

Matt Cartwright
Member of Congress
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TurkRoach

Postby TurkRoach » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Still though, expect the worst and never relax.
Bora Kalem
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:55 pm

Considering the "worst" that can happen is the bill dies and doesn't get passed this time, pretty sure we can "relax" after we send communication to our reps... There's not much more we can do besides spread the word. If the bill dies we try to have it brought back to the floor and pushed again.

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”