please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

NC Importation Laws? Armadillo

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Buggle

NC Importation Laws? Armadillo

Postby Buggle » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:02 pm

I've been interested in an armadillo for some time now but this response I got from the NC Wildlife Resources Commission has always stopped me from pursuing it.
"You must obtain the appropriate permits/licenses from the NC Department of Agriculture before bringing this species into the state of North Carolina.

Also be aware that it is possible for humans to contract Leprosy from armadillo’s.
You will also need to contact your local government to see if there are any requirements or restrictions regarding possession of an armadillo
Please let me know if you need anything additional

Tammy Rundle

Permits Coordinator"

What kind of permits would I need to import exotics? From what I understand NC only regulates natives and a few invasives. The only information I can find is that any other animal that exists in its state in the wild just needs a certificate of veterinary inspection. Does anyone know?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NC Importation Laws? Armadillo

Postby Ash » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Here are the general requirements for animal importation into NC: http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/NCGenIE.htm.

Looks like only these animals and hoofstock/livestock require entry permits/health papers:

(1) Skunk;
(2) Fox;
(3) Raccoon;
(4) Ringtail;
(5) Bobcat (includes Lynx and other North and South American felines as cougars, jaguars, etc.);
(6) Coyote;
(7) Marten;
(8) Brushtail Possum (Trichosurus vulpecula).

From a quick skim it doesn't seem like an armadillo would need anything, but I didn't take time to read the whole thing. So be sure to do that, of course.

I imagine the email they sent you says this:
"You must obtain the appropriate permits/licenses from the NC Department of Agriculture before bringing this species into the state of North Carolina."
to cover all their bases. Just so they aren't liable if you import it wrong or something. Not that you actually need a permit.

That's awesome you're thinking about an armadillo. Which species are you considering? I love the nine-banded armadillos.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Buggle

Postby Buggle » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:59 pm

See, that's what I was starting to think. Pretty annoying that she wouldn't really tell me that she wasn't sure if I needed something or not. Plus the leprosy thing is not valid for a captive-bred three-banded. That's what I'm interested in by the way. Since they are exotic I won't be dealing with any potential native laws which is what NC mostly seems to cover. She's literally responsible for me not getting one since I asked that in 2016, and so many babies have come and gone!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:42 pm

Aw, that's too bad. :/ Hopefully one will come your way soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

It's really annoying when government workers don't even know their own laws. Or at least have the decency to look them up.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:42 am

Buggle,

I hope you can get a armadillo. I would be interested in learning more about them. pictures also.
I can relate to your state laws, my state is the same way. no one seems to know their own regulations.

I would guess all states are different, but, when I would call them, I always asked for the permits department.
on another note, I have talked to people in that department, and they still didn't give a good answer. seems everyone had their own version.

trying to read through their regs are conflicting, sounds like your state is the same way.

keep us updated.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Buggle

Postby Buggle » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:33 am

Thanks, I certainly will.

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”