PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

Coyote-legal States

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Mathilda

Coyote-legal States

Postby Mathilda » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:17 am

I'd like to know what states allow coyote ownership, if there's anyone who can help me or give me a link. The usual exotic animal law sites haven't been very helpful because they rarely specifically mention coyotes, and if they do it usually says something like "with permit"... but is it an impossible permit, or doable? Checking each state's laws individually would take forever. I'm hoping someone (or someones) here might have some knowledge on the subject or know of a website I'm not hitting in my googling. For example North Carolina supposedly has coyote-legal counties, but I can't find a list *anywhere.* That'd be really helpful by the way.

Backstory: I'm a wildlife rehabber in a state where coyotes are illegal to rehab - they can only be euthanized, period. Someone brought me an otherwise healthy coyote pup whose den he'd run over clearing land for a homesite. I wasn't about to kill the pup just because it had the audacity to be born a coyote.... there's legal and there's moral, hopefully they overlap but in this case they just don't (imho). Now I have a coming one-year-old unreleasable coyote who is unbelievable and the light of my life: so so loving, well-trained, people- and stranger-friendly, zero aggression, dog-friendly, no separation anxiety, house and crate trained, never once shown even a mild sign of aggression, and is otherwise amazing in every way (I do realize these things may change with more maturation, but still we're off to a great start). My long-term romantic relationship has fallen apart (to make the understatement of the year) and I reckon relocating is in order. I'd like to find a place I can keep my coyote legally. I'm willing to go the permit route, although I probably couldn't get a permit which requires proof I "legally" obtained the animal, although simply "legal to own" would be ideal... but I know laws are getting stricter and stricter every year.

Any help is tremendously appreciated. Not a situation I wanted to end up in on several different levels, but I'd like to move towards legality.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coyote-legal States

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:00 am

Missouri allows them with a permit but they can't be free inside a home, so outside enclosure and visits inside would be on leash. It looks like you can have them with a permit in Nebraska but they do want proof it came from a breeder or other legal means. They are allowed in FL with a permit as well. You'll be required to get an import permit even if a state didn't want a possession permit but it's likely any allowing you to keep one would want a possession permit as well, to ensure none are taken from the wild, I don't know of any that don't. I would ask the wildlife departments of states that permit what is required to get the permit and come from out of state, maybe the health certificate from your vet along with the import permit would be enough, um, but the health certs are state forms so maybe that's not actually possible.
Mathilda

Re: Coyote-legal States

Postby Mathilda » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:55 am

Thank you TamanduaGirl.

It's ironic people are encouraged to kill as many coyotes as possible, whenever and however, but states are concerned about taking a coyote out of the wild *alive.* I can understand regulating coyote ownership for safety/humane reasons... but the "where it came from" part is just silly. Like, I could take 500 coyotes "out of the wild" by shooting them or leg-hold trapping them, but keep just one alive and all of a sudden they're concerned about taking coyotes of of the wild. Just bizarre.

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”