Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

Question about WA laws

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

junglej

Question about WA laws

Postby junglej » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:45 pm

Hello I’m new to the board but I’ve been lurking and reading for some time now icon-smile
I was looking at the exotic animal laws in the PNW and I’m a little confused on how to interpret WA exotic animal laws in regards to USDA class c.
The law specifically states “Class C circuses” and doesn’t mention “exhibitors” anywhere that I can see? If have a Class C permit but I am NOT a circus, does this exemption not apply to me? Or does the exemption apply to me since I am an exhibitor and in the eyes of WA and/or USDA circus/exhibitor are essentially the same?
I posted a copied excerpt from the law below in case anyone wanted to read it...
Thank you for your help!

“Potentially dangerous wild animals: BANS except for grandfathered animals, AZA facilities or those under a SSP, animal protection organizations, animal control or authorities, vets, wildlife rehabilitators, wildlife sanctuaries, USDA Class R research facilities, USDA Class C circuses, persons temporarily transporting and displaying them for less than 21 days, fair displays, and game farms. (Rev. Code Washington 16.30)”
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about WA laws

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:48 pm

Does not apply to you unless you live in another state and are visiting for a show.

(i) Circuses, defined as incorporated, class C licensees under the animal welfare act, 7 U.S.C.A. 2131 , as amended, that are temporarily in this state, and that offer performances by live animals, clowns, and acrobats for public entertainment;
https://codes.findlaw.com/wa/title-16-a ... 0-020.html

This is for the listed species/families: https://codes.findlaw.com/wa/title-16-a ... 0-010.html
junglej

Postby junglej » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:46 pm

Thank you for clarifying. Just to confirm, a private individual with Class C cannot live in WA with a prohibited species?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:06 am

No. They didn't leave any way for a private resident to keep one.

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”