PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

LEGAL ISSUES FOR NON-U.S MEMBERS

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:40 pm

Post in this section for any legal issue for non-U.S

please specify which country.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
veralidaine

Re: LEGAL ISSUES FOR NON-U.S MEMBERS

Postby veralidaine » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Hey everybody.

So, as you may or may not know, I live in Ontario, Canada and have been keeping track of some exotic legislation that a Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP) has been trying to put through. I'm doing my best to try and keep it from becoming a ban like most of the regulations in other provinces.

If you also live in Ontario, or even another province, please give me a shout so we can network and help open up the eyes of the canadian public to the positives of exotic animal ownership.
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Ireland (Republic only) : No exotic animal laws at all, you need a dog licence of €12.50 to be paid yearly, anyone with more then 6 breeding age unspayed bitches must register as a breeder and gets inspected, regular dog owners get no inspections. There are additional laws for hoof-stock and herd numbers but as I don't keep farm animals I am not familiar with those.

UK (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) There is the DWA (Dangerous Wild Animals) act, a list of species you must have a permit to own, and also a dangerous dogs act.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:20 pm

Thank goodness, this bill didn't make it through the second reading; http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bills_ ... illID=2592

I can't understand legal speak very well but after reading various articles and blogs about it, it seems to put farm animal welfare into the hand of the farmers :roll:

One of the parts of the bill mentions giving power in regulation to the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural affairs. In an interview, the leader of the ministry said that he had no idea about the bill and has not even spoken to the MPP who introduced it. Unfortunately, that MPP, Jack Maclaren, is my local MPP. When he was elected, my dad was disgusted and said that Jack Maclaren never had anything intelligent to say but he's a landowner and our riding is comprised of a lot of landowners so...

Not an exotic-related article but still interesting I think.
natashaami777

Postby natashaami777 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:14 pm

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:18 pm

If I'm correct, in the UK they have no bans on any animal except for some dogs.. o_O
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Don't you need a permit and some sort of regulation there for the more dangerous animals though? I'd expect if there were no regulations, everyone would be able to go out and buy a tiger and keep it in their apartment and give us all a bad name. :roll: If I can get anything I want though, UK here I come!
natashaami777

Postby natashaami777 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:42 am

Literally every wild animal needs a license in the UK. I've spoke to some exotic keepers in the UK and they say the DWA license is pointless and is only enforced if the animal escapes or endangers anybody. So they (government) don't care much about the DWAL.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:13 am

Yeah, that's what I heard. That the permits were super easy to get :) There is not ban on any animal except for some dogs like previously stated (which I find strikingly odd.)
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:56 am

I just wonder how you'd go about getting a young coyote. It's doubtful any locals there would breed them.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
natashaami777

Postby natashaami777 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:55 pm

Splashstorm wrote:Yeah, that's what I heard. That the permits were super easy to get :) There is not ban on any animal except for some dogs like previously stated (which I find strikingly odd.)

They are basically pointless in having but it covers the owner in case of any inspections or vet checks.

sarajeku wrote:I just wonder how you'd go about getting a young coyote. It's doubtful any locals there would breed them.

I have no idea. I would want a bobcat but breeders of exotics in the UK are rare to find as nobody in the UK really has a DWAL.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:17 pm

Couldn't you just ship the animal from elsewhere?

ImageImage
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:51 am

Loads of people have DWAL's it just varies from county to county how easy they are to get.
Most 'wild' animals do not require a licence but there is a list found on the DEFRA website which lists the ones that do.
Yes you can import animals from other countries HOWEVER of they are exotics they cannot have a pet passport meaning that they need to be quarantined for 4 months in a DEFRA approved zoo quarantine facility.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:11 pm

It was the quarantine I was worried about. I don't know if there are any coyotes native to the UK. I've never heard of them there. So I was worried about getting a very young coyote there and it going through the quarantine. I would LOVE to move to the UK, but many of the animals I would want there, I think need to be quarantined. Image

Legal stuff is confusing. Image
natashaami777

Postby natashaami777 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:35 pm

I think it's good in some ways as it blocks idiots from attaining wild animals that could be potentially dangerous to the public but then it stops good exotic keepers from their dreams of owning such animals.

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”