PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

LEGAL ISSUES FOR NON-U.S MEMBERS

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Splashstorm

Re: LEGAL ISSUES FOR NON-U.S MEMBERS

Postby Splashstorm » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:34 pm

Quarantined for FOUR months?! How are you going to bond with it during it's early days? That's horrific! Wow. Not sure if I wanna move to the UK anymore.. >;P
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Yeah, that was my thoughts. The UK would be a place I would seriously consider living if I could get coyotes. If people don't have them there or available (I have no clue so this is all hypothetical) how difficult is it to interact with the animal while it's quarantined for import?
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:53 am

In the other thread, Elina mentioned something about how you can get your own place to be quarantined licensed, and she said it was fairly easy. I asked her the requirements but have not gotten a response yet.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Elina

LEGAL ISSUES FOR NON-U.S MEMBERS

Postby Elina » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:13 pm

If you got your own place approved it would be fine but if not it would be pretty hard to spend time with a young animal. If I were to stay in the UK I would probably import an adult breeding pair and keep a puppy/cub of to be my pet.

I don't think anyone has coyotes here.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:27 am

Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this.

I live in Sweden, and here, you can keep for example Giraffes and Elephants (if I'm not misinformed)... but you can't keep anything from Carnivora, except for domestic dogs, cats, ferrets, and badgers. Neither can you keep any birds of prey, but you can keep all sorts of parrots, toucans, ostriches etc.

But I'm planning on moving abroad (country not decided yet), so I'm wondering if anyone can help me here. I'm mainly wondering about Portugal and Italy. Can you keep for example Foxes in any of those countries? Rheas? Falcons/Hawks? Wolfdogs (from what generation)? Hyenas?

I don't speak either Italian or Portuguese yet, so googling it is difficult, even though I have tried my best.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
kitaluna

Help needed. Re: LEGAL ISSUES FOR NON-U.S MEMBERS

Postby kitaluna » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Ontario Canada.

HEADS UP! CHANGES COMING IN CAMBRIDGE, Ontario
Another municipality in southern Ontario is making changes to its exotic animal laws. So far, the changes in other municipalities in the GTA have resulted in a long list of animals that are banned. These lists are general and cover just about everything with fur that is not a cat or dog. These laws are sometimes passed in one session by bending the rules and presenting three times in one meeting. The public are not well informed and no exotic keepers have a chance to show up. The changes are triggered by one or two complaints over long periods of time or by targeting by animal-rights groups.

If anyone has the time to speak up, I have pasted the info I received from the City of Cambridge below. Get on the email list and make some noise please! I don't live in Cambridge, but I would have appreciated it if someone spoke up in my municipality (I bought my house the same month the no-exotics by-laws were put in place). I am now looking at living in secret or moving again soon and losing a great deal of money on my house investment. I cannot fight in my own municipality or I will be inspected and lose my "banned" critters.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Good afternoon,

We are currently reviewing potential changes to the Animal Control By-law including revisions related to exotic animals based on complaints and concerns raised over the past few years.

These items take some time, as any potential changes would need to be discussed at the Senior Management level, and if approved, would then be forwarded to the General Committee (Council) for further discussion.

If any potential changes are indeed discussed at the Council level, the Planning Department will inform you of when such information would be presented via your email address. If you have any other concerns or questions, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Hardy

Hardy W. Bromberg, B. Comm., P.Eng., C.B.C.O.

Director of Building & Enforcement Services

Chief Building Official | City of Cambridge

( 519.740.4613 x4577

TTY 519.623.6691

E brombergh@cambridge.ca
kitaluna

Local by-law changes

Postby kitaluna » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Since the Ontario exotic animal ban did not make it through, the AR people have been targeting municipalities. They have succeeded in getting an blanket exotic animal ban put into almost all the municipalities in Southern Ontario. The next municipality is Cambridge, ON. The meeting is on February 25th. If anyone can find the time to call,write or appear, it would be greatly appreciated. It is too late for my municipality, let's fight them on the rest.

Information attached.
Attachments
DOC021313.pdf
(95.89 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:03 pm

I still do wonder, in what (remotely civilized :icon-wink:) places of the world can you have many kinds of exotics?

If I'm possibly interested in (for the distant future) falconry, fruit bats, rheas, tapirs, wolfdogs, cheetahs, hyenas and such animals (the majority of which ware not legal in my country, but I've never planned on staying here anyway), where should I possibly aim on moving? :icon-wink:

I know some states in the US are rather lax on those (too lax, in some cases), but getting a US citizenship is nigh on mission impossible. :egeek: I'm just looking for tips if anyone knows anything about other countries. icon-smile
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Kamal

Postby Kamal » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:59 pm

Laws regarding exotic mammals owned in Hungary.

There are atm 8 exotic mammals you can´t keep and their keeping is illegal es they count here as endangered species;

1. Mustela vison
2. Procyon lotor
3. Castor canadensis
4. Tamiasciurus hudsonicus
5. Mephitis mephitis
6. Nyctereutes procyonoides
7. Myocastor coypus
8. Sciurus carolinensis

A new law from 2013 - nobody allowed to keep privately any sort of monkey and monkey-related species. The ones who kept it before can keep but they had to get papers of it until March or the animal can be taken from them forcefully.

Of course this not means you can keep now any exotic just like that, many requires certain requirement to keep before even getting one.
For example lions and tigers only can be kept in large areas and the owner need to be able to afford daily 6 kgs of meat to buy and having 2 years of experience working with big cats OR enough money to pay 2 people who has and can prove with papers and hire them.

About keeping foxes the laws rather complicated due of some "minor" issues.
A law says; foxes are pest and pest animals are property of the government and only hunters can capture and sell them. If you pick one up from highway or save if mother was killed you literally stealing from the government and that can be punished.

Also few hunters are cooperative and willing to give you paper about the business either and even less are even willing to do that for a fox.

To keep one in order you need a willing vet who will handle it and have health papers for the animal, a must enclosure to have even if the animal will be kept indoors. You still must have enclosure in order to even consider keeping one. And you must be able to have papers of its origin - where did you get the animal and such.
The country has no breeders you could buy one from nor rehab centers to bewild such orphan left-behind cubs either and the country banned all fur farms since few years ago. It is difficult and the person must be dedicated and prepared in order to be able to keep a fox here.

It not includes now the birds and reptiles which are illegal to keep, just mammals.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:28 am

A couple of rather extensive pdf-documents about this... "Eurogroup for animals", which wants exotic animals banned. But it does give good info on what countries have certain legislations.

http://eurogroupforanimals.org/files/ca ... mpaign.pdf
http://eurogroupforanimals.org/files/ca ... report.pdf

I guess there are not many European members here, but this is of concern.
I'm all for animal welfare laws, to get wild animals out of circuses, to have educated pet shop staff (if pet shops at all), to not sell animals to just any idiot (but that is true for all animals, not just exotics), and regulations on enclosure size, food, and other basics like that, so all animals have good lives - but I don't like groups like these, openly aiming for the total ban of exotic animals, so we'll only be allowed to have cats and dogs eventually.

(Early in the first document, they even show people having other pets than cats and dogs - gasp - as something horrible that must be stopped.)

This is as big a worry (or almost) as what you have in the states.
I wonder - can we do something about this, and what?
Pet owners are typically just "run over" by legislations, we're a small group and people don't care (or rather, don't know).
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:09 pm

I made this little picture now, and yes, I am permitted to use the images in it.

It says "Two of these animals are legal to keep in Sweden. Guess which?"

Now, there are restrictions on how to keep venomous snakes here (license, over 18 years of age, proper escape-proof terrariums, no vents or other possible ways of escape in the room the snake is being held, etcetera), and orcas, well... there are only 45 in captivity, no one keeps them as pets, so I guess they just figure it's "useless" to ban them (all dolphins and whales are legal here in fact).

But I still think it does show how silly and full of hypocrisy the laws are here.
I made the image for a much more extensive thesi... post of over 3100 words on a Swedish animal forum.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:21 am

Found this for UK by accident tonight: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animal-trade/im ... in-bllv-5/
Foxykitty

Postby Foxykitty » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:10 pm

About Asian countries! :)

South Korea- perfectly legal to own almost any kind of pet foxes, including arctic foxes, fennec foxes, grey foxes, and swift foxes. I've heard that red foxes are illegal to import to Korea because they have the same scientific name with Korean native red foxes, which is critically endangered. (Almost extinct) :(

Japan- perfectly legal to own almost any kind of pet foxes. The fox can be obtained from zoos, facilities, and others. Taking foxes from the wild is illegal

Sorry, I don't know about Chinese pet fox laws:(
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:28 pm

i recently learned that npws are enforcing a regulation in the zoo licencing act that requires people who don't exhibit animals on their own property, but who do on external premises (animal encounters etc) will now require a zoo licence. previously many people, such as exotic pet shop owners and even private pet owners, as well as animal encounters businesses did these types of exhibits now they will need to get a zoo licence if they want to continue, the good news is a zoo licence is free and relatively easy to get here. i can imagine many people will fall afoul of this law or just stop exhibiting rather then bother with a licence as many will not have had the experience of applying for one before (unlike other jurisdictions, ireland does not have licencing requirements for private animal ownership for any species or for pet shops)
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:36 pm

About Ireland, what's required to import exotics? I tried looking it up but the other animals section was just exotic-domestics like rabbits. And an article calling for more regulations citing people buying things abroad and coming home with them, which made it seem legal to just bring anything in with no permits or inspection but I doubt that. Just curious.

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”