PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

I'm morbidly curious

Exotic legal issues, bans, laws, regulations, Animal Rights discussions etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Neofelis

I'm morbidly curious

Postby Neofelis » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:20 am

Not thinking of doing this.

But I know there are a lot of illegal exotic pets in CA (tons of ferrets, and a fair number of bobcats/servals. Probably fennecs too.) So, what's the penalty for getting caught? Can your animal be confiscated on the spot? I thought I heard once that you had a certain amount of time to try to sell it to someone out of state.... (Not that that would help much, since you couldn't just bring it right back after.) Otherwise, I'm guessing you would be fined? Jail time?

I'm just curious. I'll repeat, not in my future plans.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I'm morbidly curious

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:28 am

There are fines and I think if you can't pay then you do jail time instead. Animals are seized right away. Someone had a coyote they rescued it was taken from them, some pure wolves taken and sent to a sanctuary out of state. Most ferrets seized are killed but a few a rescue can send out of state. Owner has no say in it.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:58 am

How do the ferrets get selected for rescuing?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:32 am

I don't know, just if there happens to be a space available I guess. I remember a rescue saying they were the only ones approved to take them(any rescue would need the hard to get permit for the species) and send them out of state so most were killed just because they could only take so many and there's no where for them to go.

The wolves would have been killed if they didn't find a place. The owner claimed they were wolf dogs(legal) but the state said they weren't so took them.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:31 am

I wonder how much proof of blood is necessary? In the case of high-percent wild cat hybrids, would a signed receipt from the breeder suffice? Because depending on how close it is to the wild parent, a hybrid can look very wild. You'd think they wouldn't just bring in an AR "expert" and go by their opinion, right?

Return to “Laws & LEGAL ISSUES”