NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Exotic Rodents in USA?

Information on Breeders, brokers, and other dealers

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

TheBlizz

Exotic Rodents in USA?

Postby TheBlizz » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Hello! I am new to this forum, and after posting a little introduction, I thought I'd jump straight to my first inquiry.

I love all animals, but reptiles and exotic rodents have a huge appeal to me. Zooming in on the rodents, I encountered a wide array of captivating species through my research, including:

• African Pygmy Dormice
• Harvest Mice
• Zebra Mice
• Spiny Mice
• Duprasi Gerbils
• Jirds
• Patagonian Maras
• African Pygmy Mice
• Mouselike Hamsters
• Steppe Lemmings

After looking into the trade of these animals, I realized it was mainly centered in the U.K., although I live in the U.S.

Now, getting my hands on any of these would be a joy, and I'd appreciate all referrals, but I am most interested in finding a way to access the Dormice, Harvest Mice, Duprasi Gerbils and Steppe Lemmings. All of them have great appeal to me, though. I'd prefer breeders that can ship, since I'm not sure I'd be willing to go on a road trip for these animals.

Thanks in advance!
Peacefulward

Re: Exotic Rodents in USA?

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:24 pm

Hey there, welcome!

It's super hard to find any exotic African rodents in the US since their importation was restricted/banned from some silly scare years ago.
The Facebook group US Exotic Rodent Association has breeders and enthusiasts of some of these rodents on your list, including spiny mice, zebra mice, jirds, and some North American mice like deer mice or field mice. I've also seen Amazon cloud rats for sale, but they're around $4,000. Kapivya Exotics in Texas sells chacoan maras, which are like pantagonian maras but a lot smaller. Buggles on here owns one!

Gambian pouched rats and jerboa are being rumored to be having a comeback soon, people are apparently working on breeding them. Bamboo rats are a personal favorite rodent of mine, the look a lot like mini beavers! I haven't seen any for sale outside of Japan though.

You might have some luck contacting an exotic importer/broker and asking them if they could find you something you want, although it will most likely be very expensive. I've never tried it.

Keep us updated!
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TurkRoach

Postby TurkRoach » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:07 am

If you do want to keep them as pets you will face a greater challenge since some brokers don't trade with non-usda individuals.
TheBlizz

Postby TheBlizz » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:52 pm

Peacefulward wrote:Hey there, welcome!

The Facebook group US Exotic Rodent Association has breeders and enthusiasts of some of these rodents on your list, including spiny mice, zebra mice, jirds, and some North American mice like deer mice or field mice. I've also seen Amazon cloud rats for sale, but they're around $4,000. Kapivya Exotics in Texas sells chacoan maras, which are like pantagonian maras but a lot smaller. Buggles on here owns one!

Gambian pouched rats and jerboa are being rumored to be having a comeback soon, people are apparently working on breeding them.

You might have some luck contacting an exotic importer/broker and asking them if they could find you something you want, although it will most likely be very expensive. I've never tried it.

Keep us updated!

Thank you for the advice. I will check out the US Exotic Rodent Association on Facebook as well as Kapivya Exotics (the smaller sized Mara does appeal to me, so I'll have to delve into a bit of research on them.)

Also, interesting about the Jerboas and GPRs. I've always found them to be interesting. I'd be overjoyed to hear any more news should it come.

Lastly, thanks for this tip. Yeah, expenses do come into play, but it could be a final resort if I can't find anything more local.

Thank you!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:36 pm

There are bushy-tailed jirds and fat tailed duprasi in the US but since it was a private post I can't say more.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “BREEDERS & DEALERS”