Page 1 of 1

Legal List In the UK.

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:56 pm
by natashaami777
Didn't know where to stick this thread but here it goes.

This is UK based: This is the list that shows what and what isn't accepted without any sort of license(DWAL). ... allist.pdf

Have a good read through it's quite interesting.

I also have the application form for the DWAL if you need it or want it.

Re: Legal List In the UK.

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:04 pm
by Nìmwey
I just realized UK allows pretty much every animal imaginable as long as you have a license (though it's extremely stupid to list domesticated camels as "dangerous wild animals" IMO :wall:), I just knew before that you can keep foxes and birds of prey there.

So I'm really excited now, I already live in the EU so maybe I have a chance to move to the UK (which I don't have with the US). icon-smile

I found this link and read through it, pretty much the same info as in the pdf-file: ... edule/made

But I still don't know what it takes to apply for a license, if you want to keep large carnivores like hyenas for example. I've only seen that to have a DWA animal, you'll need to renew the license every year, I don't know the detailed requirements.

Re: Legal List In the UK.

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:40 am
by Elina
Nimwey to get a DWAL you need to build an enclosure which is super safe for the animal that you want to get. It has to fit the criteria for an enclosure for such an animal which they can provide you with the info of.

One of the main things is that it is more likely you will get your DWAL granted if you live in a rural area. If you have a perfect hyena enclosure but you live in the middle of a town there is little to no chance you will have the licence granted.
I don't know if you know this but in the UK housing prices are really pretty high, especially if you want your house to be on a good size plot of land. Over here even 1 acre is hard to come by for under £250,000. . . Well unless you move to Ireland, prices in Ireland are pretty reasonable. If you move to Southern Ireland the exotics laws are also more lenient.

But yes, basically you build an enclosure, they come to check it out and if they think it is good enough and that you live in a rural enough area you can get your DWAL. I think you may need a reference or two to say you are mentally stable but I cannot remember.

Re: Legal List In the UK.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:09 am
by Nìmwey
So I saw this oldish article from 2010, and I'm a bit confused. ... -Kent.html

It says there are 4.296 animals registered under a DWA license, and of these are, among others:
"wildcats – 137 (including 16 snow leopards, 11 Asian leopard cats, 10 European Lynx, 10 ocelots, 8 clouded leopards, 6 common leopards, 5 pumas, 4 cheetahs)"

Now I know there are some lions and tigers in the UK, but they aren't mentioned there. But cheetah, clouded leopard, snow leopard? That sounds really weird to be in private hands. I thought at least cheetahs were never in private ownership because they are so hard to breed and thus too valuable to zoos and conservation breeding programs.

Re: Legal List In the UK.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:33 pm
by TamanduaGirl
A zoo would need the DWA too.

Re: Legal List In the UK.

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:51 am
by naja-naja
zoos do not require a dwa, neither does a pet shop, zoos need a zoo licence, which covers having animals on the DWA schedule, and pet shops that have dwa animals do not need a dwal if the animals they have are for exhibit only (i think, but could be mistaken, that they need a dwa licence if they are selling listed animals) the dwa applies to private owners only.

a few years ago, an exotics dealer here in ireland had some cheetah cubs for the same price as baby servals, €5000 each (about $6500). he hasn't had cheetahs since though, and servals are half that price now. I beleive that both the servals and cheetahs came from a facility in the czech republic, as an ad by a uk breeder offered both servals and cheetahs around the same time on an exotics classifieds site sourced from that country.

Re: Legal List In the UK.

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:39 pm
by TamanduaGirl
Oh okay, sorry about that. It doesn't work that way here if you need a federal license it applies to all. USDA to exhibit weather zoo or just showing one pet animal or endangered species license to have something like a cheetah and even the zoo would still need that. I made the mistake of assuming, I should know better.