PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

(in search of a) Red Fox Breeder ...

Information on Breeders, brokers, and other dealers

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

littlemissshipwreck

(in search of a) Red Fox Breeder ...

Postby littlemissshipwreck » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:59 am

Hello! My husband and I have been looking for a red fox breeder for a little over a year. We live in Arkansas, so there is a pretty limited list of states from which we can import a kit. I tried for weeks to contact Mystic Garden Exotics, in Arkansas, but my emails were returned and phone calls went unanswered. I also tried to contact Backwoods, in Oklahoma, but was saddened to see that they are no longer breeding. We are currently on a waiting list for Spring 2013 kits from a breeder in Virginia. As excited as we are about this, I am in search of any breeders that may be closer to Arkansas. Tennessee, maybe? Oklahoma? I am willing to drive to Virginia, but I thought it would be less stressful on a fox if we wouldn't have to transport it 10 hours in a car. I have read posts on your message board for a long time, and finally signed up to post. Please let me know if anyone has a breeder that they would recommend. Thank you for your help!
Juska

Re: (in search of a) Red Fox Breeder ...

Postby Juska » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:07 pm

Personally, if you're already on a waiting list, I would stay on that. Even if you did find another breeder, you'd probably have to enter another waiting list and wait longer.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:52 pm

What states are you allowed to import from?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
littlemissshipwreck

Postby littlemissshipwreck » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Juska.

Arkansas bans foxes from: Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Texas, Vermont, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

The breeders that seem to be the most reputable are in Ohio and Indiana, so it's very discouraging... but we aren't giving up hope!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:40 pm

That's tough... I'm pretty sure there are breeders in Florida--nobody specific comes to mind, but it seems we've had members from there who have had red foxes. I'll see what I can find.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
littlemissshipwreck

Postby littlemissshipwreck » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks so much, but unfortunately, Florida would be an even longer drive than Virginia for us. We are near the Arkansas-Missouri border. I heard that someone in Oklahoma was breeding after Backwoods stopped, but haven't been successful in contacting anyone. Any information on breeders in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, or Mississippi would be the most helpful... But all information will be appreciated :)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:01 pm

Ah, sorry about that. I'm not as familiar with how the states go down there. I'll look around.
littlemissshipwreck

Postby littlemissshipwreck » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:47 pm

Thank you!
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:27 am

Hi and welcome to the board. There is also the option of getting your kit shipped via airlines, though it costs a few hundred dollars.

I believe red foxes are illegal to keep in Tennessee so if you do see breeders advertising kits from there, I strongly advise you do not purchase from them as they would be breeding illegally, thus selling illegally and in turn, everyone who kits a kit from them is possessing that kit illegally.

You might have some luck posting a wanted ad on Hoobly and maybe exoticanimalsforsale.net if they have a wanted section. If you do so, be sure to ask breeders for their USDA license info to help ensure that they are legit. Also, be sure to pay safely with Paypal, do not use money order, checks, etc.

Good luck and I hope you are able to find a breeder closer. I do suggest, as Juska said, staying on the waiting list for now as it seems your options are unfortunately limited.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:28 pm

Here's some breeders from states that weren't listed in your banned states list. The rest I know were all in states in your banned list, except for Mystic Gardens,but you already mentioned that you couldn't get in contact with them.

Keystone exotics-in Pennslyvania. Under the Gray Fox page, it lists that he has red fox breeders but it doesn't say anything about if he has plans to breed them or not.

Even Keel Exotics- in Michigan. I heard that he's a bad breeder though.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Crafty

Postby Crafty » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:52 pm

caninesrock wrote:Even Keel Exotics- in Michigan. I heard that he's a bad breeder though.

Yes, absolutely do not buy from him!

Here is a thread that explains why: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=9749
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:26 pm

caninesrock wrote:Keystone exotics-in Pennslyvania. Under the Gray Fox page, it lists that he has red fox breeders but it doesn't say anything about if he has plans to breed them or not.

Keystone only breeds grays I believe. I've never seen him offer reds, just personal experience though. You could always email and ask. I know another breeder here in PA, but he stopped breeding foxes years ago. He only has skunks, coons and lynx.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
f1337f0x

Postby f1337f0x » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:45 pm

I actually contacted The breeder from Keystone a couple years ago to ask him questions about his foxes. He did have Reds AND grays at the time. But, things can change :\ so it is possible he isnt breeding them right now, or possibly something could have happened to his breeding foxes.
His Reds WERE priced at 400 (plus you had to provide a permit and importation paperwork/permits at time of pick up.

I just saw recently though that he did not have reds listed on his 2013 listing though. I was quite sad as he was one of the breeders I was looking into If I couldn't contact mandy (and if we didnt decide on a gray).. assuming we could own one in our city :(

I would email him and ask though. He always answered my emails very fast :)
dinnka
Fox Breeder
Fox Breeder

Postby dinnka » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:42 pm

have you considered shipping? i think in a lot of cases shipping is far less stressful than a long drive by car..although you can interact if you pick up during the long drive, i think at times being on a plane for 2 hours is less stressful than being in a car in a crate for 10...and I am a breeder (although very hard to get ahold of me) i am in ohio and not to toot my own horn..i try to be reputable...lol :happyfox:
15 fox, 1 bobcat, 1 kinkajou, 2 birds, 3 cats, 9 dogs, 1 ringtailed lemur, 1 pig, numerous chickens, 3 geckos
3 kids (all boys) 1 grandson
visit us on facebook @
https://www.facebook.com/wildadventuresfoxden
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:14 pm

@Dinnka: Her state bans foxes imported from Ohio unfortunately. :/
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “BREEDERS & DEALERS”