please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Goberain ( Siberian Husky + Golden retriever mix) breeders?

Information on Breeders, brokers, and other dealers

Moderators: hecate, minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

draydan

Goberain ( Siberian Husky + Golden retriever mix) breeders?

Postby draydan » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:07 am

I've searched the forums for a while, and was surprised that no posts were made about goberian breeders , so i was wondering if anyone heard of any goberian breeders in Canada , if i only find some in US, then i'll pay for the shipping (Quick edit: it seems i made a typo on the post's title, the actual name is Goberian, not goberain, my bad :lol: )
Lasergrl

Re: Goberain ( Siberian Husky + Golden retriever mix) breede

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:22 pm

My question is why would anyone breed them when there are a ton in shelters across the nation? There is nothing usefull or special about this cross so I guess I dont understand why anyone would be a "breeder" of this particular mutt? Making more when plenty are available makes little sense But then most of the large breed designer dogs dont make alot of sense ;)
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:36 pm

Like Lasergirl said, we don't you just try finding a husky-golden retriever mix to rescue from a shelter somewhere?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:13 pm

I think you can find one in a rescue if you asked around. Maybe look on Petfinder?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:47 pm

I asked my 13 year old sister to take a look at Goberians on google images, and she didn't know they were a designer breed.

Her comment was, "Why don't they have a constant look? That's not good. People might confuse them with other dog breeds." I was like, "Yeah, they aren't bred for a "constant" look. They're designer dogs." Funny how even she could tell there was something different about this "breed."
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
draydan

Postby draydan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:06 am

Honestly , i did tried to look into pet shelters, but it seems that in the province of Quebec, where i live, it is an hard to come by mix, according to some of the info i had (Please take note that i don't take this personality trait as granted, i am aware that each dog's different , and that some could inherit more of the husky side then the golden retriever one) That mix is as energic , playful and loyal as an husky, but is as docile and family-friendly as an golden retriever. Also personally, I've always dreamed of having a medium-sized dog ever since i was a kid, but i post poned the idea of having a dog for a while cause i just wasn't living in the right place to own a dog of that size (They need alot of exercise , and personally i think that a dog of that size also needs a good sized backyard that you can play with him in, something you rarely come by when you live in an apartment, not only the fact that there's not much apartments that allows dogs) I really like the colour of that mix of dog, but i'm not willing to own one only for the looks, my own personal dream dogs were the golden retriever,husky,labrador and st-bernard
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:56 am

Both golden retrievers AND siberians need lots of exercise. Also, both breeds are VERY family friendly. So I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for other than appearance. Trainability? Huskies, while stubborn, can be trained. Both breeds can be very destructive if not given a job to do, especially depending on your lifestyle. Goldens are less likely, especially if well trained and walked daily.

You mentioned color- there is a lot of variation in husky colors, but not so much in goldens. Which color are you referring to? I found several when I looked them up. I'm with everyone else here- any breeder you find of this "breed" will be a backyard breeder, no health check on the parents before breeding them, most likely no vet check on the puppy before purchase, some BYBs don't even give their first shots or deworming. (But I do admit they are cute) This isn't a designer breed, as they aren't in demand enough to be one. This is just a mixed breed with a combined name (like combining Bull dog with Shih tzu to get bull sh**).

My golden ended up living outdoors in a fenced 2 acre run on the mountain behind the house until she was 9 years old because she was restless indoors only. She came in only to sleep and eat. Her breeder even warned us "Oh her daddy.. he LOVES to run. I think he forgot how to walk." She was still well trained- she "starred" in one of my high school plays as Sandy, Little Orphan Annie's dog.
Once she got older and mellowed out, she was able to come live with me in my 2 bedroom apartment until she got severe arthritis at age 12 and couldn't make it up the stairs anymore. She'll be 13 in Feb.

Currently, I'm raising a malamute/shepherd/husky/wolf mix (he's a rescue from the refuge I work at, and it's pretty much up in the air what he's mixed with other than husky and wolf) in my 2 bedroom apartment, and although I am able to do it because of where I work, I do NOT recommend it for anyone who doesn't work at a wildlife refuge. :lol:
Huskies are known to be so friendly that they would welcome an intruder into your home. Echo is skittish (it comes from the wolfish part of him I think) and he's afraid of the dark. He stands the hair up on his back as high as it'll go when he sees a car's headlights. But he is GREAT with other animals. Deer, cats, rabbits. He's such a snuggle puppy. He won't sleep unless he's touching me.

If it's the fluff you like, huskies do come in a "wooly" coat.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:26 pm

If it's the mix you really love, you can always google breeders. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a certain cross and getting one from a reasonable breeder if you can't find it in shelters already.

ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:44 pm

Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:57 pm

Caninesrock, the OP is looking for a dog in Canada.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:15 am

Golden Retrievers aren't the pushover, subdued dogs most people think they are. They're hunting dogs. They need exercise and stimulation, as Sarajeku said above. I have a Golden/Border Collie mix, and though she doesn't need hard running and long hikes to wear her out, she needs TONS of mental stimulation. Goldens are a strong, hard-headed breed. Yes, they're typically good with children and are an excellent family pet, but mixing it with another high energy dog isn't going to help you any.

Why don't you just get a purebred that's apparently easier to find than a shelter dog? Or just go to a shelter and actually meet the dogs instead of setting a high standard of what you want in a dog? I didn't know what I was looking for when I went to the PSPCA in Danville, PA, but I met Emo, and I knew she was supposed to be my dog. I never thought I'd own a Golden mix (I don't honestly care for their personalities most times), but I love her for what she is.

Also, do you realize how many dogs, like mine, get dumped and abandoned because they don't look the part of the "designer breed?" Another popular mix, at least in my area, is the Border Collie/Golden mix. People want a Border Collie looking dog with golden fur. So there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of black dogs that didn't "make the cut", because they came out the wrong color. People just get these dogs and breed them, trying to get this mix, without doing any lineage or health background checks. So they get dumped. What's worse is the statistic that people looking to adopt a dog typically won't even consider a black dog, because there's a stereotype that black dogs are more inclined to be vicious or untrustworthy. So that's two strikes against them, just for being born.

Try to help out a dog that really needs it before going to a breeder...please.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:05 am

Juska wrote:Try to help out a dog that really needs it before going to a breeder...please.

This. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Anyone breeding "Goberians" will be back yard breeders who just own two dogs and stick them together. Neither dog will have health checks to make sure their pups will be healthy and disease free- both breeds carry genetic diseases that you'll have to worry about. You might not get "hybrid vigor"; you might get the worst of both. You might get a pup that dies young of cancer, or a puppy with juvenile cataracts, or both. Also keep in mind, that golden retrievers are climbing fast in frequency of reported bites. This is why a GOOD breeder is important. Good breeders do temperament tests on BOTH parents, and all of the puppies to make sure the puppy is a right fit for your home. If a potential parent doesn't pass a temperament test, then that dog is altered and is no longer bred.

My wolfdog, Echo is a rescue. You don't even have to go to shelters. Go to a breed rescue. Yes, they ask invasive questions and want to check out your home, but if you have a fenced yard, a vet picked out, your home puppy proofed, and it looks like you're prepared, there will be no problem. I can't vouch for other rescues, but this is how it works at the rescue I work at- the one I got Echo from.

I didn't have to go through all the questions or the home check because I take him with me enough that he runs around the refuge harassing wolves and older wolfdogs, as well as deer, horses, sheep and chickens, enough to get his mental stimulation and exercise (like he hasn't gotten any at home.. pft.. spoiled brat). If I turned out to be a bad home for him, I would both lose my job AND my dog, so I work hard at keeping him happy, despite living in an apartment.

Sorry, off topic. Anyway, rescuing a dog from a shelter or breed rescue will make you feel good. You will be saving a life. I had absolutely no idea I'd be bringing Echo home- my boss calls me a "failed foster" because I adopted him after fostering him for 2 days. :lol: He was the ugliest puppy of the litter and they just dropped him off with me. Now I'm SO glad I got him instead of one of the others. I tell people he's like having a child, with all the work I put into him, but I couldn't love a child more than him.

Both breeds in the mix you want, both goldens and huskies, are high energy, they can both be quite gentle and loving with their families. I suspect since you want a husky mix, you don't have cats or small dogs. They do have a high prey drive, and they do chase cats. Even my golden chases cats in her old age. Echo chases my uber friendly cat ALL THE TIME. But the one that smacks him on the nose- he leaves her be. He tried to eat my boss's teeny tiny toy poodle at work yesterday too.. at 14 weeks. :shock:

You get out of your dog what you put into it, so if you work hard training him/her, spend a lot of time exercising with your dog, and just provide lots of mental stimulation, then you'll have an excellent family dog no matter what breed you go with. I do still urge you to go with rescuing. Be it from a shelter or a breed rescue. If you MUST buy from a breeder, make absolutely SURE that they do temperament tests, health checks, etc on both parents.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:35 am

sarajeku wrote:Also keep in mind, that golden retrievers are climbing fast in frequency of reported bites. This is why a GOOD breeder is important. Good breeders do temperament tests on BOTH parents, and all of the puppies to make sure the puppy is a right fit for your home. If a potential parent doesn't pass a temperament test, then that dog is altered and is no longer bred.

A good piece of information everyone should remember.

People are over breeding Goldens at an alarming rate. I've seen WAY too many Goldens (and Huskies if we're going to talk about that) come into my grooming salon that bite, bare their teeth, snarl or just outright go insane when they're kenneled or on the table. They're not breeding for temperament anymore, they're idiot backyard breeders who bred their dog because "it would be a waste, it's such a good LOOKING dog", when it's spent most of its life chained in someone's backyard or given free reign of a household and not taught a single rule. I've seen it first hand. But you can only plead so much to some ignorant &*?^ not to breed their dog. That's why they're skyrocketing to the top of the bite list. I was going to mention that in my previous post, but left it out.

I had one in particular that I just couldn't believe. Some idiot had decided it was a good idea to give a mentally/physically handicapped person a Golden Retriever for "enrichment". Not a service dog, but a toy with a budget for everything, and handled solely by that person's randomly assigned caretakers. The dog's grooming budget was $80, and for a Golden that's nothing compared to what it would need as far as a groom. The dog was completely matted under the top coat because the caretakers knew nothing about dogs and just got her because she was "pretty". They only rarely brushed her top coat and had no idea they could become matted underneath the silky layer of hair.

They brought her in holding her by the collar, because they didn't even own a leash. The dog was a complete wreck socially. She freaked out for everything we did to her, even though she was the only dog being worked on in the salon and it was pretty quiet. She lived alone with the man in a house and was never taken for walks or socialized properly. The man obviously can't interact with her. The dog just sits around the house all day doing nothing. It was extremely depressing to think about. It snapped at us several times, and would just thrash its entire body when it didn't like something. Basic primal instinct taking over instead of reason...a prime example of poor breeding and training.

Sorry for the rant...stupid people make me furious.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:29 pm

sarajeku wrote:Caninesrock, the OP is looking for a dog in Canada.

I know. Those are the results I got when I put in Toronto, Ontario(the only city in Canada I know the full address for) as the location and searched for golden retriever mixes and husky mixes. Some of those are northern states that seem to be pretty close to Canada,so the OP could always drive there and pick the dog up and they said they are willing to get a dog from the US if they can't find one in Canada.

Also,this dog is in Canada. "ON" is an abberviation for Ontario. The dog is in Thunder Bay, Ontario. It's a golden retriever/husky mix just like the OP is looking for.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24034361

He tried to eat my boss's teeny tiny toy poodle at work yesterday too.. at 14 weeks.

Oh my! :shock: What happened after that?

Also keep in mind, that golden retrievers are climbing fast in frequency of reported bites.

When I was 5-ish, I went over to my uncle's friend's house where they had a golden retriever and it snapped at me and maybe even bit me(but not hard enough to break the skin or anything) for trying to look at its dog tag (and see it's name). It was at a big party they were having,so the owners did apologize and say that they dog was just nervous because there were so many people around. Before that, the dog was being really sweet and let me pet it,but then it just snapped. I still wonder to this day if Goldens are really as good with children or as good of family dogs as some people claim. Of course,now that I'm older, I know the dog probably was scared I was going for its throat to kill it or something,but I didn't know that when I was only 5 and other 5 year olds wouldn't know that either.

Some idiot had decided it was a good idea to give a mentally/physically handicapped person a Golden Retriever for "enrichment". Not a service dog, but a toy with a budget for everything, and handled solely by that person's randomly assigned caretakers.

I'm sure they probably had good intentions of giving the man a companion. Still,they could have chosen something that was easier to take care of and didn't have quite a long life span like a hamster or a rat or something.

They brought her in holding her by the collar, because they didn't even own a leash.

That poor dog. :( Did they even know anything about dogs? :-x

The dog was a complete wreck socially. She freaked out for everything we did to her, even though she was the only dog being worked on in the salon and it was pretty quiet. She lived alone with the man in a house and was never taken for walks or socialized properly. The man obviously can't interact with her. The dog just sits around the house all day doing nothing. It was extremely depressing to think about.

Why can't the man interact with her? Is he completely mentally handi-capped and phsyically paralzyed like a "vegetable" for lack of a better word?

It snapped at us several times, and would just thrash its entire body when it didn't like something. Basic primal instinct taking over instead of reason...a prime example of poor breeding and training.

I think the behavior in this case might have more to do with improper socialization than bad breeding.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm sure they probably had good intentions of giving the man a companion. Still,they could have chosen something that was easier to take care of and didn't have quite a long life span like a hamster or a rat or something.

My friend got her mother birds for this reason, some sort of small cage birds. Her mom would like a dog but can't really care for it. This way my friend can just stop by a couple times a week and be sure the birds have seed and water in the cage and clean and they are fine.

Return to “BREEDERS & DEALERS”