ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Goberain ( Siberian Husky + Golden retriever mix) breeders?

Information on Breeders, brokers, and other dealers

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Juska

Re: Goberain ( Siberian Husky + Golden retriever mix) breede

Postby Juska » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:04 am

caninesrock wrote:
The dog was a complete wreck socially. She freaked out for everything we did to her, even though she was the only dog being worked on in the salon and it was pretty quiet. She lived alone with the man in a house and was never taken for walks or socialized properly. The man obviously can't interact with her. The dog just sits around the house all day doing nothing. It was extremely depressing to think about.

Why can't the man interact with her? Is he completely mentally handi-capped and phsyically paralzyed like a "vegetable" for lack of a better word?

Pretty much. He was confined to a wheelchair, and was practically incapable of comprehensible speech. He has a home phone number but can't answer the phone. The dog is pretty much something for him to look at. Not an animal I would choose for that sort of situation.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Juska wrote:Pretty much. He was confined to a wheelchair, and was practically incapable of comprehensible speech. He has a home phone number but can't answer the phone. The dog is pretty much something for him to look at. Not an animal I would choose for that sort of situation.

That's really sad. :cry: They should've given him a fish or something.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:37 pm

But you can only plead so much to some ignorant &*?^ not to breed their dog.

This. I knew this guy who got a mutt that was dumped off at a friend's workplace (something like that, I forget). The mutt was a puppy at the time, too young to be altered. Now the dog is full grown and he still has not neutered him. He has decided he wants to breed the mutt because "*mutt's name* is awesome and he needs to take over the world!" Really, that's what he said.

I told him it was horribly irresponsible to intentionally breed an entire litter of mutts when shelters all over the world are filled with mutts that nobody wants. He insisted that he's already found a few people (that's right, a few) to take some of the puppies and that he might keep "some" himself. He lives in an apartment, so that obviously won't work out. He just became angry with me and ignored me for a while. He hasn't brought it up since so I'm not sure if he's still planning it or not...ugh, I hope not.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:11 pm

Well,if he does breed the dog, hopefully he can find homes for all the puppies. In order to breed the dog though, he'd need to either get a female himself or find someone willing to let him breed his male with their female,which isn't likely in the latter case.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm hoping it was just a fleeting idea. I suspect he knows someone who has a female, but I don't know for certain. It's been a while since he talked about it so either he's just keeping it under wraps or completely forgot. I'm hoping the latter. Sadly, I bet he knows some idiot friend who has a female dog of some sort that he could breed his male to. *sigh*
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:11 pm

While I don't agree with his idea and find it irresponsible, I can understand why he'd want offspring of his particular dog in spite of his dog being just a mutt. It's like in the movie Turner and Hooch when Hooch dies,the cop still has Hooch's pups to look after and they remind him of Hooch. Of course, in the movie, Hooch is a purebred dog and Hooch didn't die of old age,but got shot. Still,it's the same concept. He doesn't want his dog to die off and be gone from the world forever with nothing to remind him of his dog. Some breeds (not designer breeds,but true breeds) started from an owner liking the qualities of a single mutt dog they had,such as the sled dog breed the Chinook among others.

Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:30 pm

I wish I could have another "Max" (my first dog), but I wouldn't have bred him to get more of him. There is cloning, and until they can produce just a single, exact replica of a dog/cat/rat (of course that's probably not going to be available in any lifetime of mine), I'm not going to invest in any kind of reproductive process and bring more lives into this world when there's already so many out there that don't have a place in the world.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:46 pm

As much as I'd love another Roxie, I wouldn't have bred her either if she wasn't spayed,but different people have different ways of coping as well as different values about what shoud and shouldn't be bred among other things. As long as he can find homes for all the puppies if he does breed his dog, who are we to judge him? As for cloning, I personally think it's dumb because the clone just looks like the pet, it doesn't have the exact same personaly or anything. It's also extremely expensive and un-natural. I'd personally rather see someone naturally breed a dog if they want a dog simliar to the dog they have. Alot of people use the same agrument about there's too many without homes already for wolfdogs as why they shouldn't be bred as they use for mutts. If someone wants to breed mutts as long as they make sure the parents and offspring are healthy and that they have enough quality homes lined up for the offspring ahead of time, then how can we judge them from being any different than responsible purebred dog breeders as long as they do health checks and other things that the breeders of purebred dogs would do? I'm not saying that this guy is necessarily going to think to do health checks or anything,but that I'm sure they are some mutt breeders out there that do. The same can be said with purebred dogs too in fact. They are too many purebred dogs in shelters and homeless as well. So,should people stop breeding purebred dogs as well just because there are alot of purebred dogs without homes?

sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:34 pm

caninesrock wrote:Alot of people use the same agrument about there's too many without homes already for wolfdogs as why they shouldn't be bred as they use for mutts.

Actually, I'm one of those people and I LOVE wolfdogs. Heck, I have one.
However, unless it's high content animals like Cindy's animal's or Mace's wolfdogs, then no. Wolfdogs absolutely should not be bred. Especially lows. As much as I love Echo, he shouldn't have been born in the first place. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I would change anything) But he was born in a van with 13 older dogs living in it, and his "breeder" wanted puppies out of her dogs because she thought her dogs were "good dogs" and she wanted one like his daddy.
There are plenty of homeless low and mid content wolfdogs out there in rescues that need homes, so no. They do not need to be bred.

The ONLY way I agree with breeding ANY kind of dog is if you are prepared to take those puppies back at any time during those animals' lives. So if you breed a low content wolfdog, you need to sign a contract with the new owner stating that if the new owner decided to give the dog up, it will come back to you. That's part of being a responsible breeder. As are health checks, temperament checks, and spaying and neutering the pups.
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:41 pm

caninesrock wrote:As for cloning, I personally think it's dumb because the clone just looks like the pet, it doesn't have the exact same personaly or anything. It's also extremely expensive and un-natural. I'd personally rather see someone naturally breed a dog if they want a dog simliar to the dog they have.

Like I said, if they could perfect it and make it so that it was an exact replica of the original, then I would support it.

caninesrock wrote:If someone wants to breed mutts as long as they make sure the parents and offspring are healthy and that they have enough quality homes lined up for the offspring ahead of time, then how can we judge them from being any different than responsible purebred dog breeders as long as they do health checks and other things that the breeders of purebred dogs would do?

Purebred breeders are breeding dogs to uphold a bloodline. There's a reason to keep specific breeds around. So it's not the same thing. Backyard breeders don't do health checks or provide pedigrees/lineage trees, and no matter how "good" they say their dog is, I honestly wouldn't believe it to be of any quality to breed for. I specifically mentioned that in an earlier post.

Juska wrote:People just get these dogs and breed them, trying to get this mix, without doing any lineage or health background checks. So they get dumped.

Also, I do judge backyard breeders and the people who buy/take them, because those people could just as easily go out and adopt a mutt instead of waiting for new ones to be born. They're perpetuating the breeding and selling of dogs that don't need to reproduce. Even if they did want a puppy. They're not hard to find whatsoever.

When my parents decided it was time for me to have my first puppy (or dog, as it turned out), and not knowing any better, they looked in the paper and saw there were puppies for sale at a farm. They were breeding a male they had over and over to different females, because he was a unique mix and they sold better because they looked different than all the other ones for sale in the area. When my parents got there, all they had was the male. He had recently been killing any small animal that came near him out of hunger (because they were trying to starve him to death), so they told my parents they were going to shoot him if they didn't take him. This man was a clergyman, by the way. That's how I got Max. So my parents saved a dog that wouldn't have even made it to a shelter.

Every puppy that is born through this kind of irrational behavior, in effect, takes away the potential home of a shelter dog. And there's typically dire consequences for the dog that doesn't get adopted soon. You can choose not to let your pets reproduce. Shelter dogs can't choose to die if they get too old or are labelled "un-adoptable".
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:34 pm

Actually, I'm one of those people and I LOVE wolfdogs. Heck, I have one.
However, unless it's high content animals like Cindy's animal's or Mace's wolfdogs, then no. Wolfdogs absolutely should not be bred. Especially lows. As much as I love Echo, he shouldn't have been born in the first place. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I would change anything) But he was born in a van with 13 older dogs living in it, and his "breeder" wanted puppies out of her dogs because she thought her dogs were "good dogs" and she wanted one like his daddy.
There are plenty of homeless low and mid content wolfdogs out there in rescues that need homes, so no. They do not need to be bred.

There are homeless high contents as well. What makes them so special that they can be bred,but low and mid-content wolfdogs can't be bred? Alot of people have interests in low and mids to get their feet in the water before jumping into having a high content,but there aren't that many responsible breeders of them around. Most are scammers that sell husky mixes or malamutes that have no wolf in them at all. I think it'd be nice if there were some low or mid content breeders that are responisbly breeding these dogs. There is a demand for them. I've been trying to find and research low or mid wolfdog breeders but sadly can't seem to find any. I was thinking of in the future breeding all contents of wolfdogs as a responsible breeder, so people looking to start with lows and mids would have somewhere to go.

The ONLY way I agree with breeding ANY kind of dog is if you are prepared to take those puppies back at any time during those animals' lives. So if you breed a low content wolfdog, you need to sign a contract with the new owner stating that if the new owner decided to give the dog up, it will come back to you. That's part of being a responsible breeder. As are health checks, temperament checks, and spaying and neutering the pups.

And who's to say there isn't a low or mid breeder out there somewhere that does do those things?

Like I said, if they could perfect it and make it so that it was an exact replica of the original, then I would support it.

Even then, I personally still think it's kind of messing with nature.

Purebred breeders are breeding dogs to uphold a bloodline. There's a reason to keep specific breeds around. So it's not the same thing. Backyard breeders don't do health checks or provide pedigrees/lineage trees, and no matter how "good" they say their dog is, I honestly wouldn't believe it to be of any quality to breed for. I specifically mentioned that in an earlier post.

Not all breeds have a purpose. There's tons of toy breeds of dog that don't really have a purpose other than for people to tote them around as fashion accessories. Also,some purebreds there are already tons of,like labradors and golden retrievers, plently enough that they'd probably still be around for a long time even if everyone stopped breeding them. So are you saying mutts aren't good enough to be preserved just because they happen to not be purebreds? Some mutts are bred for a purpose too,like in the example I gave above of the Chinooks. The founding dog was bred because he was an excellent sled dog and his owners wanted to make a breed that was as good of sled dogs as his mixed breed sled dog. Also, there's labradoodles. They may have started out as silly designers dogs,but now they have a purpose. They are used in therapy and as service dogs for people that otherwise wouldn't be able to have serive or therapy dogs because their poodle side makes them hypoallergic while the lab side makes them more trainable, so now handi-cap people who are mildly allergic to dogs can still have service dogs.

Also, I do judge backyard breeders and the people who buy/take them, because those people could just as easily go out and adopt a mutt instead of waiting for new ones to be born. They're perpetuating the breeding and selling of dogs that don't need to reproduce. Even if they did want a puppy. They're not hard to find whatsoever.

You'd be suprised how hard some specific mixes are to find. I had to go through tons of pages on Petfinder to find those Golden Retriever/Husky mixes for the OP and 98% of them weren't in the country where the OP lives. On that other hand, huskies mixed with other breeds in general were abundant on Petfinder in Canada.

When my parents decided it was time for me to have my first puppy (or dog, as it turned out), and not knowing any better, they looked in the paper and saw there were puppies for sale at a farm. They were breeding a male they had over and over to different females, because he was a unique mix and they sold better because they looked different than all the other ones for sale in the area. When my parents got there, all they had was the male. He had recently been killing any small animal that came near him out of hunger (because they were trying to starve him to death), so they told my parents they were going to shoot him if they didn't take him. This man was a clergyman, by the way. That's how I got Max. So my parents saved a dog that wouldn't have even made it to a shelter.

That's awful. :( I'm really sorry about that. But I'm sure not all people breeding mutts would starve their dogs like that. Unstable's friend doesn't seem like the kind of person who would do something like that from what she posted about them.

Every puppy that is born through this kind of irrational behavior, in effect, takes away the potential home of a shelter dog. And there's typically dire consequences for the dog that doesn't get adopted soon. You can choose not to let your pets reproduce. Shelter dogs can't choose to die if they get too old or are labelled "un-adoptable".

Don't get me wrong. I do feel bad for the shelter dogs. But there are often just as many purebred dogs in shelters that need homes as mutts. However, people go to breeders to get a purebred pup for the same reason people go to breeders to get mutts. The majority of people want a puppy and not an adult dog that they percieved must of had something wrong with it since it's owners got rid of it and put it in a shelter. It's sad,but it's true. Even in shelters, the pups are really the only ones that usually get adopted,while the adult dogs tpyically go ignored under false assumptions that there's something wrong with them since they were given away.

Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:28 pm

caninesrock wrote:Even then, I personally still think it's kind of messing with nature.

Then what do you think of stem cell research? What about producing clones to use as a control in testing situations?

caninesrock wrote:Not all breeds have a purpose. There's tons of toy breeds of dog that don't really have a purpose other than for people to tote them around as fashion accessories. Also,some purebreds there are already tons of,like labradors and golden retrievers, plently enough that they'd probably still be around for a long time even if everyone stopped breeding them.

caninesrock wrote:Also, there's labradoodles. They may have started out as silly designers dogs,but now they have a purpose. They are used in therapy and as service dogs for people that otherwise wouldn't be able to have serive or therapy dogs because their poodle side makes them hypoallergic while the lab side makes them more trainable, so now handi-cap people who are mildly allergic to dogs can still have service dogs.

So Poodles and Labradors should cease to exist because there's "too many of them" or they "have no purpose", but a mix of the two is perfectly fine? I don't understand your logic, there. Also, no dog is "hypoallergenic". People are allergic to dogs for more reasons than just their hair. They're also a complete horror to groom. People think "hypoallergenic" and "non-shedding" means "never have to brush or groom".

I don't get how they have more "purpose" than either of the two breeds they are a mix of. Both those breeds can do both of those jobs, and I have seen them do it. In my experience, Doodles are high-energy, stubborn and not at all aesthetically pleasing (read: I think they're ugly).

How come Doodles are "hypoallergenic" and can be trained as service dogs, but regular Poodles can't? Because they're just made to be a fashion accessory, right? They're one of the smartest breeds in existence. They are certainly more trainable than Labs, I'll tell you that.

You do know that people bred dogs initially just to have a friend, right? They picked certain traits and looks that they liked, and that became selective breeding, then evolved into different breeds. And those traits and standards are still upheld today, mostly because they worked well. Not all dogs need to be rescue or service dogs to have merit. People want pure breed dogs because they have traits that can be relied on to be there in that breed.

So no, I still don't think random, inexperienced people should just breed their family pet, with no medical or family history, just because they think their dog is so absolutely amazing that there needs to be more of them. If you really want to get into breeding as a hobby or business, you need to invest a lot of time, knowledge and more than likely a ton of money into it. And like Sarajeku said, you need to be responsible for every single dog you produce for its entire life.

Breeding a dog to get more dogs like that, then giving them all away, is not responsible. Why would you want to make more of them if you're just going to give them away to people whom you might have no idea of how they are going to treat that animal or what's going to happen in its life.

I loved my dog. But I'm not selfish and the memory of him alone keeps me happy. I don't need seven to ten puppies that may only look and act slightly like him to satisfy my desire to see him again. Those unrecognized breeds you mentioned were only obtained after generations of breeding. So wanting to have a breed that breeds true, that looks like your one favorite dog, is going to take running through possibly hundreds of other dogs. That's what bothers me most. There's selective breeding and then there's being an idiot.

And before I forget, purebred dogs do not end up in shelters nearly as much as mutts. Why? Because if they're really pure bred dogs, their owner probably paid a good amount for them, and even if it wasn't a good match, a good breeder will take the dog back. Pure dogs in shelters are often runaways or puppy mill dogs that were cheaper than a real breeder, bought for the wrong reasons, then grew up and weren't "fun" anymore, or developed problems due to lack of proper breeding.

Reliable breeders care about the breed, their dogs, and all the offspring they produce. That's why GOOD breeders will require a neutering or spaying before selling a "companion" pet. So stupid crap like the_unstable mentioned can't happen, and more unwanted dogs fill up shelters. It's a vicious cycle, and could be impacted tremendously by not breeding dogs without cause.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Actually one theory is that dogs were first domesticated to be eaten and later proved their worth elsewhere, like hunting and friendship.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:19 pm

caninesrock wrote:There are homeless high contents as well. What makes them so special that they can be bred,but low and mid-content wolfdogs can't be bred? Alot of people have interests in low and mids to get their feet in the water before jumping into having a high content,but there aren't that many responsible breeders of them around. Most are scammers that sell husky mixes or malamutes that have no wolf in them at all. I think it'd be nice if there were some low or mid content breeders that are responisbly breeding these dogs. There is a demand for them. I've been trying to find and research low or mid wolfdog breeders but sadly can't seem to find any. I was thinking of in the future breeding all contents of wolfdogs as a responsible breeder, so people looking to start with lows and mids would have somewhere to go.

I never said they WERE special. Where did I say those words? Mace is a responsible breeder. As was the breeders Cindy got her wolfdogs from. Chances are, if you find a nice HC, you will be buying from a REPUTABLE breeder. And yes, you're right. There ARE plenty of highs in rescues. Aside from you, how many people do you know are actively looking for a low? Everyone I know of that has owned a low has either rescued it, or originally thought it was a high until they learned better. There's a REASON lows are always scams.
If you want a nice low, then adopt from a rescue, like I did. There are plenty of low and mid wolfdogs, even young puppies, in wolfdog rescues, that need homes.

caninesrock wrote:And who's to say there isn't a low or mid breeder out there somewhere that does do those things?

There is one reputable mid breeder that I know of, and we've pointed you in her direction before. She's very good, and very thorough. Usually, I would just adopt a mid, but one of hers, I would buy.

caninesrock wrote:There's tons of toy breeds of dog that don't really have a purpose other than for people to tote them around as fashion accessories.

Boston terriers, a toy breed, were bred for rat hunting.
Brussels griffon, ratting
Maltese, rodent control
Bichon Frise, sailor's dog

caninesrock wrote:Also,some purebreds there are already tons of,like labradors and golden retrievers, plently enough that they'd probably still be around for a long time even if everyone stopped breeding them

You realize dogs don't live forever, right? If everyone stopped breeding them altogether, then then those breeds would only be around as long as the existing animals survived. Then the breeds would die out.
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:37 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Actually one theory is that dogs were first domesticated to be eaten and later proved their worth elsewhere, like hunting and friendship.

I was talking more about when people started to breed dogs for pets, after domestication :lol: They probably realized dogs weren't so tasty and decided to try using them for other things :roll: (I joke, of course).

Return to “BREEDERS & DEALERS”