please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Breeders for River Otters

Information on Breeders, brokers, and other dealers

Moderators: hecate, minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

prk22

Breeders for River Otters

Postby prk22 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 am

Hi.

I am looking for leads on River Otter breeders (I am aware of the WIDE differences on state laws with this animal)...or rehabbers who work with them and may be looking for a forever exhibit/education home for them.

Any leads would be most appreciated.
~Pätrick
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Breeders for River Otters

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:50 pm

I've seen breeders in the Animal Finder's Guide. I'll have to go look through some past issues and see if I can dig it up for you. But they certainly are out there.

I've got quite a few things to get done today, so it might be tomorrow when I get around to looking.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
prk22

Postby prk22 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:01 am

Awesome!
Thank you so much Ash!
~Pätrick
otterpop

Postby otterpop » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:05 am

I have been in contact with one possible breeder. I have little information on how they keep their animals. They do seem to be legit, but other than that I have no other knowledge about them. They are in Minnesota and apparently have a waiting list running. The museum I used to work for has been trying to get a pair from them for a long time now with no success.

I haven't tried to subscribe to Animal Finders Guide, so I have not seen anything else if there are other breeders or legal sources for otters. I's consider a subscribing to them, but for me all I'd be looking for are otters. I'd rather spend my money on another week of otter food! LOL.

My 'kids' came from the Sevins of South Louisiana. I understand they had retired from the "otter business" about a dozen years ago, I don't even know if they are still alive- I lost contact with them many years ago.

My own guys are either passed on or way past the age I could expect to get babies from them. I am always hoping to get more otters myself for a long time now, but the laws in my state are now fuzzy at best. I get the whole range from "legal as livestock as long as they originate from a domestic source" (born in captivity) to being strictly illegal, depending on whom i talk to. I am always considering moving to another more "otter-friendly" state, but as I still have some responsibility to stay put for now, the thought remains on the back burner. I'd have to move more than a thousand miles- east of all things- just to get legal otters right now, although Washington state may yet be a possibility.

Are otters legal for private keepers in your state? Also, many states (sadly, not mine as of yet- I can elaborate later on) do allow the keeping of Small-clawed Otters, which don't fall under native furbearer rules. Those seem to be more available than our own otter.

Good luck in your quest- remember that otters have a peculiar set of characteristics that make them impractical as pets for most people (and very expensive compared to more common pets). I say most, because in some instances (mine for one, I'll say) an otter can become a most beloved companion a person can live with (an otter person is usually owned by the otter-not the other way around) or an absolute disappointment. A good sized pool of clean water or similar feature is just a tiny part of keeping your otter(s) happy and healthy.

It would be nice to have some sort of group who are otter people, that way we could share ideas and animals if possible and keep a unique form of husbandry alive. Remember Emil Liers, Joe Davis, Art Hoffman, and the Wisbeski's?

otter pop
prk22

Postby prk22 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:48 am

Yes. I was going to contact some fur farms in WI and see where that leads me to.
~Pätrick
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:06 pm

Native otter are "legal as livestock" IF you have at least 10 of them, basically only if you're a fur farm.

You can get a prohibited animal permit for exotic otters but it is a hard thing to accomplish.
prk22

Postby prk22 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Yes, that is correct. Might you know of an otter fur farm first hand?
~Pätrick
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:58 pm

Sorry, I was citing Oregon's law, actually, OtterPop and I live in the same state

No I'm not sure there even are any otter fur farms. I don't think any were successful as they don't breed easily. They tried them in the Russian domesticating experiment and had to drop them due to poor breeding.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:14 pm

Okay, so I found the ad in the Animal Finders' Guide. This is what the ad says:

North American River Otters
for sale
937-698-4622
cell 937-344-8547

Then there's a picture of a little girl holding a river otter.

I'd be interested to know what they say (if you wouldn't mind sharing). Like how much they cost, how long the waiting list is, etc.

Good luck! Hope this helps.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
prk22

Postby prk22 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks Ash. I just called and followed up with a text. I will keep you updated!
~Pätrick
otterpop

Postby otterpop » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:13 pm

Wow! Thank you Ash.

I will too try that number.. and let you know what I find out.
prk22- yes, you are first in line LOL
prk22

Postby prk22 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:16 am

I think I might call back on Tuesday, allowing for them to return calls from the weekend.

Other than that...I like your idea otterpop- a network sharing info on raising otters together!

...additionally, does anyone have links to the 'small clawed otters' that might be for sale presently or have them coming in the spring? PM or thread is fine with me.
~Pätrick
otterpop

Postby otterpop » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 am

this is Ken's page for shortclawed otters.

I have emailed him once about a year ago, but never got a reply back. My inquiry didn't specify that I wanted to buy right then, it was more of an attempt to see if I wanted to do business with him or not and get an otter or a pair from him later when legal. I am sure he is quite busy and dosen't spend much time to be chatting. And he may be assuming that the law for my state will not change for the better any time soon. I haven't tried to contact him since then.

http://shorttailedopossum.tripod.com/as ... _otter.htm

The otters have always been listed on his "animals available" page, so I imagine that his sources are quite stable.

As for River Otters, I am trying to find out if the laws in my state that pertain to the species specifically have changed at all since 1997. If not, then they are just as legal now as my guys were then. Origin may be the key- the source has to be from a domestic one- born in captivity, which limits the availability a lot.
prk22

Postby prk22 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Thank you. I've never had much luck in making a contact with Ken or anyone from his company in the past. I did email this morning, however. We will see if he replies or provides a number to reach him at.

Thanks!
~Pätrick
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:25 pm

Unless you moved OtterPop the law is pretty darn clear, unfortunately. Anything not listed is treated is treated as prohibited. Otters are not listed, so you need a prohibited species permit for an otter.
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/div ... ammals.pdf

There is an or, you can petition to have the species of otter listed you want to get listed and if they decide it wont become invasive then it might get listed as non-regulated. I'm not sure how long that process takes or exactly what's involved.

Return to “BREEDERS & DEALERS”