PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

How would one go about becoming a Breeder?

Information on Breeders, brokers, and other dealers

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Valvatorez

How would one go about becoming a Breeder?

Postby Valvatorez » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:07 pm

Hello everyone~
Today I was wondering what I would have to do to become a breeder. However, that doesn't mean just becoming licensed. (However, that would be helpful information) For any of you breeders, how do you know if it's some animal activist planning to burn down your home? How do you know that whoever you will be giving this fox to will be taking care of it properly? Any other information would be very helpful, thank you~
(I apologize if this is already a topic, I searched around and couldn't find anything.)
~Life is wonderful~
Juska

Re: How would one go about becoming a Breeder?

Postby Juska » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:01 pm

My personal advice is to not become one. It takes extreme dedication, knowledge and huge amounts of time and money. It is not something you can make a fortune from.

Also, besides mentioning foxes once you really didn't specify anything about what animal(s) you were interested in, or anything else, really. We can't really help you without specifics.

Just remember that strangers asking questions like this can seem suspicious.

I suggest posting in the introduction thread about yourself, and staying active on the forum. You will learn things here that you would never learn from a book or site.

Just for reference, I've been here five years and my outlook on keeping and raising animals has changed immensely since I joined.
Last edited by Juska on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:10 pm

I totally agree with Juska.

Becoming a member here, researching, and if you are totally determined to become a breeder, find a mentor. A breeder of the same thing you want to breed- fox, dog, whatever it is.

I also agree that you should post a little about yourself so that we can get to know you.

Keep in mind that breeding is an expensive hobby, and you will likely lose money.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Glad to have another person interested in exotics come and join. ;)

If you're breeding exotics, you will need a USDA license, a breeder's license. You'll have to have this license in order to sell anything.

As for advice for the other stuff, learn as much as you can. If you're serious about it, get one animal and raise it for a while to be sure that you're interested in the species before you start breeding. I want to start breeding foxes. I've had Fable, my red fox, for 2.5 years, and I've fallen in love with the species. So be sure that you want to dedicate yourself to the species you want to breed; it would be a rude awakening if you got some pairs of foxes only to find out you didn't like them as much as you thought you would.

Save up! You will have to build nice enclosures so that the breeders will feel comfortable. In addition to the money, you will have to have the space to house the animals you want. Ideally, a country setting is best because then neighbors won't give you trouble and you will have less run-ins with police and the law.

What you will do will be a labor of love. You'll be able to earn some money back, but it will certainly not be enough to live off of. Ideally you would be able to pay for the hobby through the breeding. Maybe if you were breeding a super rare or expensive species you could earn a little more too. But it wouldn't be profitable.

As for animal rights people, that's always a concern. I know that Big Cat Rescue (an animal right's group masquerading as a "sanctuary" in Florida) will do that and buy animals from breeders to "save them." And then they will say that the animals they got were being mistreated.

The best way to screen for animal rights people is to do interviews and background searches. With facebook these days you can look up a person and then see what groups they belong to on facebook. If they belong to any AR groups, then that's trouble. There will never be a 100% guarantee, but you can do the best you can.

Good luck. The best advice is to learn as much as you can and be sure everything you do is good with the law. Love the animals you raise, interview potential owners, and be dedicated.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Valvatorez

Postby Valvatorez » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:57 pm

Hello again! I apologize for coming off as suspicious, I'm still not used to forums, and have never really been on one before. Thank you for the information, all of you!
I'm well aware that I won't be able to live off of profit, and that I will most likely lose money, but I don't really want to do it for the money. Ash, that was all very very helpful information, thanks! I am working to make sure that I can be fully dedicated, and I've been saving up for quite a long time. Thanks for the background check info, too! I figured that I should do a background check but wasn't sure how to go about it. Once again, thank you all very much, I will try to stay active on the forum and I'll go make an introduction of myself. Hopefully we'll see each other on the forums again~
~Life is wonderful~
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Ask to talk to the buyer's vet as well as ask them to send you copies of the laws and/or permits that make it legal for them to have their animal where they are.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:52 pm

Happy I could help. :) I look forward to seeing you around.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “BREEDERS & DEALERS”