PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Is it sketchy?

Information on Breeders, brokers, and other dealers

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kelliekoda

Is it sketchy?

Postby Kelliekoda » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:05 am

I was looking for some exotics, since I have yet to find a breeder. :wall: But I came across this site:
http://www.kapiyvaexotics.com/
I saw this, and instantly I noticed that they had bat ear foxes, when foxes are banned in Texas. :chair:
Some other species that I don't think is legal here. I think it's a scam but, how do y'all think about this one?
KingObeat

Re: Is it sketchy?

Postby KingObeat » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:59 am

I'd like to get a warthog from them, someday.
HumaneWatch
http://www.humanewatch.org/

United States Association of Reptile Keepers
http://usark.org/

Protect the Harvest
http://protecttheharvest.com/
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:16 am

Well they are a zooilogical facility that sells to zoos and private owners. They probably have a lot of stuff they can't sell into private hands. I can't say one way or the other if they are legit, but the presence of animals a private owner can't buy doesn't mean anything. There are quite a few bigger breeder/brokers that have animals you'd need to be a licensed zoo to buy, but also sell animals that can be privately kept.

Also, they can probably sell certain animals(like the bat ears) to out of state buyers.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:02 pm

They are legit. They are a very renowned breeder in the exotic animal community. I've not done business with them, but I really want to whenever I'm ready for bat-ear foxes.

The fox law in Texas is difficult, because it bans fur-bearers. This SHOULD mean it does not include fennecs or bat-ears. BUT then the officials randomly decided that fur-bearers referred to ALL fox species. I have heard as long as they are using them as breeders it is okay--depending on who you talk to in the DNR, I believe...

Either way, I trust Kapiyva Exotics has all their ducks in a row. They are indeed legit breeders and they are highly respected in the trade.

I sent them emails once or twice and talked to them. But that was when I was younger and thought it was okay to pester breeders with dumb questions, lol. I remember they were very courteous.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:54 pm

I've bought animals from them myself.
Kelliekoda

Postby Kelliekoda » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Ah alright, that makes more sense. :lol: Thanks for clearing everything up! ^^
ashlandkennel

Postby ashlandkennel » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:21 am

I agree with Nicophorus. They are trust worthy people so you can purchase exotic pet from them without any hesitation.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Fri May 29, 2015 6:25 pm

One thing that's not clear is how "fox" is defined. The TPWS, everywhere it defines "fur-bearing animal," uses only common names. I find it hard to believe that even Texas would write a law regulating animals and using only common names, so I've written to the TPWS asking them to clarify the policy on captive-bred furbearers as pets, and to point me to the actual text of the relevant law.

I'm assuming that the law probably says something like "foxes (Vulpes spp. and Urocyon cinereoargenteus)," in which case the bat-eared fox, belonging to the genus Otocyon would be legal. It might also specify "the tribe Vulpini;" I've noticed that politicians tend to be remarkably behind the times where science is concerned. Even though Vulpini is no longer a valid taxon, the meaning would be interpreted based on the traditional definition, and the bat-eared fox was never included in Vulpini.

If the Texas legislature actually did write a law using only common names, I will shake my head in disbelief, and then have a brand new "legislators are idiots" story to rival those times Indiana tried to rationalize pi.
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:41 pm

i've always understood the texas law banning furbearers to allow commercial propogators. if kapyiva has a class a usda licence meaning they are commercial animal breeders, they may be exempt from the texas ban, even though their commercially produced animals aren't pelted. i'm wondering if someone get a commercial propogators permit in texas, if the officials there would kick up a stink if it was found that the animals were being sold live out of state as opposed to pelted? i'm guessing as long as the taxes are being paid it wouldn't matter.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
FallDeere

Postby FallDeere » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:51 pm

Glad to hear they're legit! I'm in Texas and someday would love to get Maras and/or Capybaras and they're the only Mara breeder I've found. ^_^

Return to “BREEDERS & DEALERS”